CPU Temps

I have an i7 3820 - idle its around 40-50 degrees Celsius. Under 100% load after a minute on Prime95 it's at about 95 degrees Celsius.

I can overclock it to around 4.4ghz and the temps will only be a few degrees higher.

I have an h80 water cooler, are these temperatures okay/normal?

That 95 is way to hot for your CPU. It should be around 75C MAX at full load. You might want to reapply thermal paste on it.

I've had an H80 not seat well before, but it sounds like you may have verified that already. It could be the H80 pump is not working properly?

Could be, how could I test it? Everything seems to be running okay.. But it would explain why theres not much difference in temperatures between low medium and high fan setting

No, most probably contact/thermal paste issue. Use AS5 and reseat. Check out tutorials on the web for your particular CPU if unsure.

People are going to bash you for saying AS5. That is oldschool. Get some TX-2.

I don't really know anything about building computers etc, I have a powerful computer but had it custom built by dino pc.

I used just some generic thermal paste from a local computer shop as it's the only one they had, I take it they're not all the same...

Also I used the small pea sized amount in the middle.. is this the best way or not? each different tutorial says different ways.

Thanks for the help.

btw where can I can some tx-2 in the UK or order online? On amazon I can only see AS3

Pea sized amount in the middle is the best but it wont change the themp that much. I think x bit labs or another web site did the test a couple of years ago. They tested many ways to apply thermal paste and the temp difference was at most 3 celsius or something like that. Even versus too much thermal paste the difference was nothing to write home about for Joe Not Overclocking Blow. Generic thermal paste versus good thermal paste wont make that much of a difference either. It's important if you want to overclock and get the most out of your system. But it wont make your temp 20 celsius lower. Not even close to it.

The heatsink might not be properly seated.

Don't know why I didn't think ebuyer.. order a tonne of stuff from there.

So if I get:

http://www.ebuyer.com/139175-arctic-silver-arcticlean-30ml-thermal-material-remover-and-thermal-surface-purifier-arcticlean-60ml

and

http://www.ebuyer.com/319887-arctic-mx-4-thermal-compound-oraco-mx40001-bl

and reseat.. that should be a good start?

To reseat the heatsink it's opposing corners isn't it to tighten it on? (sorry if questions seem dumb but I've only done it once before)

I never use paste removers, alcohol (probably in the solution as well) works just fine. Use alcohol and a lint-free cloth.