Photo

What are your reasons for staying on Windows?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 25 December 2012 - 15:54

I see and how does that make you feel?

I'm just biding my time until I've written Hum OS 1.0 :shifty:

#32 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 December 2012 - 15:59

Compatibility and Games. Though, truthfully, if there were more games in Linux or in OSX I might actually find a way to leave Windows.

#33 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 25 December 2012 - 16:02

Been using MS OSs since DOS, I know Windows very well, when something goes wrong I usually already have the solution in my head, Other OSs I have to spend hours searching for a fix

Brain is faster than Google ;)

#34 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 16:03

All the games I've come to be used to playing are on Windows, that and I can't afford a Macbook. I can see me moving to Mac eventually though and having Windows on it for when its needed.

#35 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 25 December 2012 - 16:06

Force of habit I guess, I've been using MS stuff since MS-DOS 3.0 and moved along every other version.
So by now I know my way around it.
I tried a Mac from friends but OSX just feels strange to me. I don't like it.

#36 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:05

* Force of habit and experience
The first and the hardest part in adopting whatever other OS would be unlearning Windows. But then what - being a total noob once again, breaking it twice a day, not being able to solve my own problems at all? Aaargh... I loathe the very idea of going back to that!

* Gaming (AAA titles at that)
Which, of course, is a valid reason only for certain alternatives and not others.

* No free (as in cheese) alternatives
If we stretch the concept, Windows kind of is free for me because of Dreamspark. About on the same level as bundled OS X or largely corporate-sponsored Linux kernel.

* Mobile OS suck
Plain and simple. I'd rather use a CLI-only OS for the rest of my life than suffice with any of those misdesigned, incomplete retard turds.

* Not caring for the other meaning of free (as in diarrhea) aspect in the slightest
This idealistic hipster evangelist subculture does not impress me. In fact, it annoys heavily at times.

#37 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:11

Why would I want to use OS X? It's a good OS, but limited by overpriced hardware and (not very well) supported by a crappy company.

Unless you mean Linux, which is a horror to run on anything that isn't exactly standard issue hardware. I'd like to give Android a shot, but even the SIII has a few issues that bug me.

#38 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:11

It's the world standard, it works great, and everything is available on it. Why would I switch to a less supported more obscure OS?

#39 SinghKing

SinghKing

Neowinian

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:12

CS6 :)

#40 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:33

There is really no real alternate to Windows out there, OSX, Linux are very limited with what can be done on them, or the software's, Windows on the other hand is global, tons of software's and customization's and does what I need it for.

#41 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:39

Honestly I've had enough with Windows and would quite gladly change. The problem as is for many people compatability with certain applications I use, and of course the perrenial favourite, games.

If Apple made a well priced Macintosh that ticked all the boxes for me, I'd probably switch tomorrow - and just use OSX for everything and boot into Windows for some games. But as it is Mac hardware is too expensive and purely out of principal I refuse to spend the money on it.

I'm leaning very much towards building a Hackintosh in the New Year so I can use the hardware I want, and use MacOS 10.6.

Linux I want to like but continue to find it too frustrating and simply unattractive to use.

#42 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 December 2012 - 17:46

Because Microsoft has a complete eco system.

#43 pepsihabbit

pepsihabbit

Pepsihabbit

Posted 25 December 2012 - 18:00

Because windows works well. These troll threads are getting old.

#44 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 December 2012 - 18:12

I own thousands of pounds worth of software, mostly games, which only run on Windows. I also have many devices that rely on drivers that run only on Windows or Mac, which rules out Linux as a viable alternative. Also, I find Windows to be a much more compelling platform than OSX or Linux, so even if I didn't have a financial incentive to stay with Windows I still would because of the user experience.

#45 deadonthefloor

deadonthefloor

Neowinian

Posted 25 December 2012 - 18:19

I like it because it's not *Nix.
I don't like man pages and forums full of elitists who insist I'm dumb for not getting it.
Windows MVPs across the web are by and large much nicer to work with and help people.
As a professional software developer I like the reach I get using the .NET framework.

*Nixes are mechano sets. OSX is just mechano with a different skin.
WIndows is Lego.