Things that annoy me in WP8 on HTC 8X

OK, admittedly only using it for a day on my new HTC 8X but there are obvious issues with this phone and OS that need improving in my opinion

I am coming from iOS which I've used since 2009.

The Hardware

• The button for the camera couldn't have been put in a worse place on the handset, this sucks.
  • The rest is awesome

The OS

• Seriously Microsoft, all the search button does is open Bing? Worst implementation of a hardware button yet, it also adds unnecessary bloat to the UI as a Search icon is needed in individual apps as well.
  • Back button doesn't always work in apps, it can back out of a current app page or out of the app completely, not consistent.
  • Network/WIFI indicator isn't always shown, you have to manually swipe down to see it. I would have preferred to have this on display all the time, including within apps.
  • No combined notifications center. This is quite annoying, it is quite new in iOS and I already miss it!
  • The keyboard can be different per app??? and sometimes the keyboard is even white! (I am using the dark profile of WP8 theme) this makes it confusing to use. I am certain there are at least 3 keyboards (one being white) with keys placed differently @ present or not on the main keyboard, and there could be 4 or maybe the keyboards vary per app?
  • Start screen isn't like Windows 8 where it can be horizontally wide, only option is vertically long instead (inconsistent again).
  • Spelling/word suggestions when typing isn't OS-wide, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't.
  • You can't select all/copy/cut/paste all the time in text fields universally like in iOS which is annoying if a site is having issues meaning I have to manually type my email address in each time again (I got this when trying to link linkedin with the people hub).
  • Can't set alerts per app. I don't want sound/vibrate for every Facebook notification but I do for Whatsapp/Viber for example. You can have all sound alerts (other apps) or none at all.

Can't remember others right now, may add to this later.

"Spelling/word suggestions when typing isn't OS-wide, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't."

Coming from Android, but can this be context sensitive? For instance, some input fields disregard suggestions (url bar for instance), at least with SwiftKey.

It's to do with the control used to activate the keyboard.

It's ****ing irksome >.> Older apps are generally the ones that fire the crappy keyboard, but it depends..

• Like 2

Added "Can't set alerts per app. I don't want sound/vibrate for every Facebook notification but I do for Whatsapp/Viber for example. You can have all sound alerts (other apps) or none at all." which I forgot to add in originally, and is bloody annoying!

That's a setting in the applications.

Facebooks settings will allow you to tweak notifications.

You can turn off "Run in the background" which essentially does the same thing >.< (sans apps doing anything >.>)

Yea, I think the search button opening Bing is a dumb move as well. I wouldn't have so much a problem with it if I could select the search provider. It is what it is I guess. Using the back button to close programs annoys the crap out of me with Internet explorer. Having to taptheshit out of the back button, going through multiple previous pages till it decided to close. God help you if you want to close it from Youtube. When you hold the back button and see whats running, what would be wrong with adding an "X" to the corner of each to allow you to simply close the application? Its maddening the how simple something could be and see how they decided to implement it. When the iPhone was first released, people bitched about no copy/paste. When MS released WP7, they made the exact same mistake. Stuff like that needs to be in DAY ONE or your OS isn't ready. You're not going to get ahead of the competition by following in their footsteps.

Some of my WP8 issues:

1. Can't pick a custom sound for anything other than ringtones.

2. No task manager to see whats sucking your battery dry.

3. Start screen doesn't rotate.

4. No Forward button.

5. Loading times on stuff like phone/network options.

6. Would like some options in dealing with attachments. Sent a ringtone to myself, but all WP8 would let me do was play it. No options to save or anything.

Regarding notifications, I remember reading Microsoft saying they wanted to add it, but ran out of time. I think we'll see it added although we'll probably have to buy a new phone to use it. Now that I actually have a smart phone and care, this whole carrier getting in the way of software upgrades is a real PITA.

With WP7, you press and hold the back button to get a list of programs running. I'm guessing it's still in WP8. It's more of a task swticher and only shows the apps that are running. I'm not sure if you also wanted services and such.

Well, WP isn't the same as iOS, but it's a shame that so many basic issues present in WP7 still aren't sorted in WP8. No proper notification centre is a big omission - if you don't have a live tile for an app and you miss the toast, you don't get a notification.

The irregularity with the back button is a developer issue and the changing keyboard is meant to reflect the field - email address entry is easier when @ is on the main page, but for general typing the @ symbol is pretty useless so gets hidden.

I don't really see the point in using the start screen horizontally. You hold the phone vertically and all your tiles are maximum one swipe away.

Added "Can't set alerts per app. I don't want sound/vibrate for every Facebook notification but I do for Whatsapp/Viber for example. You can have all sound alerts (other apps) or none at all." which I forgot to add in originally, and is bloody annoying!

You actually get Facebook notifications? The same day? :D

OK, admittedly only using it for a day on my new HTC 8X but there are obvious issues with this phone and OS that need improving in my opinion

The Hardware

• The button for the camera couldn't have been put in a worse place on the handset, this sucks.
  • The rest is awesome

I like the camera button, it's perfect for when you're using the phone as a camera, however I almost always activate the camera as I go to lock the damn thing!

Seriously Microsoft, all the search button does is open Bing? Worst implementation of a hardware button yet, it also adds unnecessary bloat to the UI as a Search icon is needed in individual apps as well.

Yeah, very odd this, almost seems like it might be down to a patent issue?

Back button doesn't always work in apps, it can back out of a current app page or out of the app completely, not consistent.

I used to have this issue in Android too, I'm sure it's probably down to the developers. It can be annoying though I agree.

No combined notifications center. This is quite annoying, it is quite new in iOS and I already miss it!

Yup, this is a bugger. I don't always want to pin every app and a little number in the corner for a lot of apps isn't very helpful

The keyboard can be different per app??? and sometimes the keyboard is even white! (I am using the dark profile of WP8 theme) this makes it confusing to use. I am certain there are at least 3 keyboards (one being white) with keys placed differently @ present or not on the main keyboard, and there could be 4 or maybe the keyboards vary per app?

Spelling/word suggestions when typing isn't OS-wide, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't.

You can't select all/copy/cut/paste all the time in text fields universally like in iOS which is annoying if a site is having issues meaning I have to manually type my email address in each time again (I got this when trying to link linkedin with the people hub).

I'm hoping these is a developer issue.

Overall I'm enjoying WP8 however, coming from Android CyanogenMod, it's way to easy to feel that the OS needs a bit of spit and polish.

Some of my WP8 issues:

1. Can't pick a custom sound for anything other than ringtones.

2. No task manager to see whats sucking your battery dry.

3. Start screen doesn't rotate.

4. No Forward button.

5. Loading times on stuff like phone/network options.

6. Would like some options in dealing with attachments. Sent a ringtone to myself, but all WP8 would let me do was play it. No options to save or anything.

1-) Hmmmm care explain exactly what you mean? I have downloaded an app called "Free Ringtones" I just 'Download' and then 'Save' ringtones that I like from there then I can use them in any option which allows me to set a specific sounds ie: a contact's specific ringtone.

2-) Press and hold the back button? also there's an option under 'Settings/System/Applications/Background tasks in there you can allow or deny specific apps from running in the background (some apps you cannot deny access though)

3-) Yeah that's just designed like that, it would be cool to have an option for that, but I really don't see great advantages of such an option.

4-) Hmm I could swear it was there? lol but maybe not, I have been using WP7 for the last 2 years and just now switched to WP8 on this phone yeah bummer it appears to have been removed :(

5-) Yeah a little bit of lag there sometimes, but nothing too bad, just a slight delay I noticed sometimes while loading Wi-Fi networks etc.

6-) http://www.windowsph...nes-to-my-phone or you can just connect your phone to you PC, then on your PC go to Computer and you should see your phone there under "Portable Devices" and you can just drag and drop sound files to the Ringtones folder using Windows Explorer.

Hope that helps a little, I also dislike the fact that they do not let you set Google as the default search provider, it was possible on WP7 :(

The Hardware

• The rest is awesome

The OS

• Seriously Microsoft, all the search button does is open Bing? Worst implementation of a hardware button yet, it also adds unnecessary bloat to the UI as a Search icon is needed in individual apps as well.
  • Back button doesn't always work in apps, it can back out of a current app page or out of the app completely, not consistent.
  • Network/WIFI indicator isn't always shown, you have to manually swipe down to see it. I would have preferred to have this on display all the time, including within apps.
  • No combined notifications center. This is quite annoying, it is quite new in iOS and I already miss it!
  • The keyboard can be different per app??? and sometimes the keyboard is even white! (I am using the dark profile of WP8 theme) this makes it confusing to use. I am certain there are at least 3 keyboards (one being white) with keys placed differently @ present or not on the main keyboard, and there could be 4 or maybe the keyboards vary per app?
  • Start screen isn't like Windows 8 where it can be horizontally wide, only option is vertically long instead (inconsistent again).
  • Spelling/word suggestions when typing isn't OS-wide, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't.
  • You can't select all/copy/cut/paste all the time in text fields universally like in iOS which is annoying if a site is having issues meaning I have to manually type my email address in each time again (I got this when trying to link linkedin with the people hub).
  • Can't set alerts per app. I don't want sound/vibrate for every Facebook notification but I do for Whatsapp/Viber for example. You can have all sound alerts (other apps) or none at all.

I can see how you might consider most of that annoying. However, I must point out that Windows Phone had the "metro" UI first, so the tiles flowing vertically instead of horizontally being inconsistent would be failure with Windows 8, not Windows Phone 8. Personally, I'd prefer if there was a setting where you could change it to the direction you prefer, or at least have it change to horizontal when you turn the phone sideways.

I can see how you might consider most of that annoying. However, I must point out that Windows Phone had the "metro" UI first, so the tiles flowing vertically instead of horizontally being inconsistent would be failure with Windows 8, not Windows Phone 8. Personally, I'd prefer if there was a setting where you could change it to the direction you prefer, or at least have it change to horizontal when you turn the phone sideways.

Yeah it's just all the advertising as well where you see a very wide page and a small (Windows Phone) screen somewhere in between all that showing it can scroll left and right; you'd expect the same behavior with the Start Screen I'd have thought? :p

I found the whole WP8 OS to be half baked with steep learning curve. I hate the fact that many obvious options/indicators like network name, WiFi strength are hidden when they could have been easily exposed in the empty space. Just makes power users feel like babies who need diaper changing.

These are mostly n00b complaints so not gonna say much about it, but as for vertical vs. horizontal -- a phone is held vertically while a PC has a horizontal display. This is not inconsistent, these are two different devices that are used differently.

Scrolling horizontally on a phone would require a lot more scrolling and effort than scrolling vertically. There is no good reason to make the operating systems 100% identical when they're running on different devices,

WP8 is a lot better than Windows 8, which makes sense as it's already had 3 major revisions.

These are mostly n00b complaints so not gonna say much about it, but as for vertical vs. horizontal -- a phone is held vertically while a PC has a horizontal display. This is not inconsistent, these are two different devices that are used differently.

Scrolling horizontally on a phone would require a lot more scrolling and effort than scrolling vertically. There is no good reason to make the operating systems 100% identical when they're running on different devices,

WP8 is a lot better than Windows 8, which makes sense as it's already had 3 major revisions.

Most apps require it? (horizontal scroll) :s

The Hardware

• The rest is awesome

The OS

*Using the search button for app searches does not make sense since most apps dont have search functionaliy. You would end up with button which mostly did nothing.

*Back button world like a broswer back button, simple.

*Always showing network indicator and battery status could be made optional, but its really low value information- most of the time. It really would really just make you feel more comfortable in the short term as you are used to seeing it in old phone systems

*Notifications history is a big omission, it should be implemented

*The keyboard is customisable by the app for context. It could be confusing if different app developers choose a different keyboard for the same context (eg email).. i believe this also applies to spelling suggestions

Anyone loving the new feature that allows you to reply to calls with a txt message? I find this extremely helpful,specially while driving.

I have some doubts about having a notification center in WP. I think with the new smaller tiles in WP8, you don't really need one. Pin whatever apps you want to see notifications on to start screen and that's pretty much your notification center? It's similar to how you don't want every app dumping every single alert in the notification center in iOS/Android. You mostly care about a few and at least I have never really felt a need for it. I get notifications from WhatsApp, twitter+facebook (me tile + group tiles), emails, phone, im/text on my start screen and that's pretty much what I need.

I found the whole WP8 OS to be half baked with steep learning curve. I hate the fact that many obvious options/indicators like network name, WiFi strength are hidden when they could have been easily exposed in the empty space. Just makes power users feel like babies who need diaper changing.

Once you put a SIM in the phone and connect to a Wifi AP - how many times do you really need to see that? seriously, give it a thought. I found it weird initially but it has never really bothered me! :/

I know right, how am I supposed to sit and stare at my network indicator all day if I cant see it all the time. Its so dumb how they hide it and let you view it only when you want to.

Apart from the first line, which is frankly rude, the rest is very true. I'd agree that it makes more sense to work with the screens orientation rather than against it.

Once you put a SIM in the phone and connect to a Wifi AP - how many times do you really need to see that? seriously, give it a thought. I found it weird initially but it has never really bothered me! :/

I like WiFi indicator in front of me 100% of time. Period!

1-) Hmmmm care explain exactly what you mean? I have downloaded an app called "Free Ringtones" I just 'Download' and then 'Save' ringtones that I like from there then I can use them in any option which allows me to set a specific sounds ie: a contact's specific ringtone.

2-) Press and hold the back button? also there's an option under 'Settings/System/Applications/Background tasks in there you can allow or deny specific apps from running in the background (some apps you cannot deny access though)

3-) Yeah that's just designed like that, it would be cool to have an option for that, but I really don't see great advantages of such an option.

You can set a custom ringtone, but not for txts, voicemail and email. They only let you choose from what they provide. Holding back and to see whats open is fine, but they really need to add an "X" beside each preview window to simply close the application. It's retarded to have to keep backing in IE to close it. I Also want the ability to see eveything running and force close an application thats running.

They actually had the search button triggering app related searches in the WP7 days, and they changed it with 7.5 I believe.

Funnily enough when I gave WP a test drive it was an initial complaint from me (the search button) but after a few weeks actually found myself using it a lot (to search bing) and found it useful.

edit:

I forgot to mention, but I am guessing the inconsistency between spell checking is probably a developer issue. If I recall in iOS you can set wether a text input field should check words, etc so I imagine its the same for WP - developers would tend to turn it off for email inputs for instance as that can be really annoying when it auto corrects non standard words

I got my custom Android phone reminding me of my carrier name, the brand and model of the phone, wifi strength, wifi network name, 24 hour clock, date, battery %, free memory, free space, cpu use, and the amount of US national debt, all of it exposed in the "empty space." It makes me feel like a real power user, in control of my phone.