91 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#333366]This probably shouldn't come as a surprise to us as we are a nation founded on genocide and built on the backs of slaves. We slaughtered 600,000 of each other in a civil war. We "tamed the Wild West with a six-shooter," and we rape and beat and kill our women without mercy and at a staggering rate: every three hours a women is murdered in the USA (half the time by an ex or a current); every three minutes a woman is raped in the USA; and every 15 seconds a woman is beaten in the USA.

We belong to an illustrious group of nations that still have the death penalty (North Korea, Saudi Arabia, China, Iran). We think nothing of letting tens of thousands of our own citizens die each year because they are uninsured and thus don't see a doctor until it's too late.

Why do we do this? One theory is simply "because we can." There is a level of arrogance in the otherwise friendly American spirit, conning ourselves into believing there's something exceptional about us that separates us from all those "other" countries (there are indeed many good things about us; the same could also be said of Belgium, New Zealand, France, Germany, etc.). We think we're #1 in everything when the truth is our students are 17th in science and 25th in math, and we're 35th in life expectancy. We believe we have the greatest democracy but we have the lowest voting turnout of any western democracy. We're biggest and the bestest at everything and we demand and take what we want.

And sometimes we have to be violent m*****f*****s to get it. But if one of us goes off-message and shows the utterly psychotic nature and brutal results of violence in a Newtown or an Aurora or a Virginia Tech, then we get all "sad" and "our hearts go out to the families" and presidents promise to take "meaningful action." Well, maybe this president means it this time. He'd better. An angry mob of millions is not going to let this drop.[/color]

[url="http://www.alternet.org/michael-moore-3-reasons-america-falling-apart-and-how-we-can-save-ourselves?page=0%2C0"]Source[/url]

I encourage you to read the entire article (it's not too long) before concluding anything.

I don't agree with much of anything Moore generally says, but I think this article is spot on.

Americans need to start being more collectively responsible. A failed America will drag a large part of the world down with it.
11 people like this

Posted

Who is this group which claims that America is the best in a bunch of these things? Pretty much everyone I know would love to disagree with that.
1 person likes this

Posted

The three points aren't discussed. The post above talks about centrism and the link about gun control. Moore starts to pick up on the some cultural flaws but goes no where with it. Then then the gun debate totally ignores the fact the the guns were illegally obtained. Moore is an idiot.

The three points aren't discussed. The post above talks about centrism and the link about gun control. Moore starts to pick up on the some cultural flaws but goes no where with it. Then then the gun debate totally ignores the fact the the guns were illegally obtained. Moore is an idiot.
4 people like this

Posted

A load of bullspit..
6 people like this

Posted

America is hardly the only nation to be based on the back of slaves, genocide and violence.
Would say the same is true formost nations around the world.
4 people like this

Posted

Michael Moore is not an idiot and he knows what he's talking about. The US is sort of a weird country.

The nice thing about how things are in Belgium is that you don't have to be afraid. I can walk around anywhere in the country and feel safe because nobody has guns. I can go to school and have a place to live while studying almost without having to pay anything. Sure, we pay more taxes, but we reap the benefits ourselves.

In a few years when I've finished my whole education, including a Bachelor at a reputable University College I won't have a single cent of debt. In fact I'll even have some money saved up for myself, and that is coming from a relatively low-income single-parent family.

If I ever get sick I know our health care costs are almost completely covered by the government too.

I have no need to fear anything and no need to worry about anything, and that is really, really great.
15 people like this

Posted

[quote][color=#282828]Americans need to start being more collectively responsible.[/color][/quote]
I haven't read the article yet, but I think this is a large part of the problem with American culture. In this country, everyone clamors about their rights, but very rarely do people think about their responsibilities and obligations. Rights are the most important thing, but being responsible comes in at a far second. I have the right to own semi-automatic weapons so I can shoot people who threaten me, but where's your responsibility? Most people think that having more rights reduces their responsibility, but in actuality, it increases it.

But how can you engender a sense of responsibility in a people who are told they have all these rights, and if someone dare even touch on one of them, you need to shout at the top of your lungs and glue your posters to walls and poles and let everyone know you won't take it! Responsibility? Oh no, if something goes wrong, my rights trump everything. The responsibility lays on someone else. Sadly, this is the culture and mentality that is perpetrated in American society. I'm certainly not against having rights, but you have to be willing to accept the responsibilities and obligations that accompany them. Americans rarely think about such things.
7 people like this

Posted

[quote name='*RedBull*' timestamp='1356464135' post='595414930'] totally ignores the fact the the guns were illegally obtained.
[/quote]

From the legal owner...
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='*RedBull*' timestamp='1356464135' post='595414930']
Moore is an idiot.
[/quote]

That is the entire thread in a nutshell.
8 people like this

Posted

[quote name='TPreston' timestamp='1356465446' post='595414948']
From the legal owner...
[/quote]

Who failed by not properly securing the weapons in the house

Posted

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1356465002' post='595414942']
Michael Moore is not an idiot and he knows what he's talking about. The US is sort of a weird country.

The nice thing about how things are in Belgium is that you don't have to be afraid. I can walk around anywhere in the country and feel safe because nobody has guns. I can go to school and have a place to live while studying almost without having to pay anything. Sure, we pay more taxes, but we reap the benefits ourselves.

In a few years when I've finished my whole education, including a Bachelor at a reputable University College I won't have a single cent of debt. In fact I'll even have some money saved up for myself, and that is coming from a relatively low-income single-parent family.

If I ever get sick I know our health care costs are almost completely covered by the government too.

I have no need to fear anything and no need to worry about anything, and that is really, really great.
[/quote]

Your comment shows that your actual knowledge of the US is zilch. Your knowledge comes only from what you hear and read. So of course this is what you will spout about us.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1356465698' post='595414966']

That is the entire thread in a nutshell.
[/quote]
Pretty much. :yes:
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1356466597' post='595414986']
Your knowledge comes only from what you hear and read.
[/quote]

I think most knowledge is indeed acquired from what you hear and what you read.. isn't that part of learning? :p
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1356466597' post='595414986']
Your comment shows that your actual knowledge of the US is zilch. Your knowledge comes only from what you hear and read. So of course this is what you will spout about us.
[/quote]
OK then. I'll point out some differences.

Every single university in Belgium (and that includes quite some world-class ones like the Catholic University of Leuven and Ghent University) doesn't have any entry requirements. You just need to have finished your secondary education (which is free), but it doesn't matter at all what you did there or how well you did it. There are only a few specific courses that have an entrance exam. Meet the entry requirements? Great, you just enroll. There's no mess with selection procedures, you just study what and where you want.

And then there's the thing about cost. [b]The highest tuition for one year of University in Belgium? Around
7 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Spartan Erik' timestamp='1356467652' post='595415022']
I think most knowledge is indeed acquired from what you hear and what you read.. isn't that part of learning? :p
[/quote]

Yes, but what most people read and hear is dependent upon hearsay. I have read many articles online that spout that the crime rate in the UK far surpasses the crime rate in the US. Well, that might be true, but I don't post it here like it's the truth and then get into tons of arguments based upon an article.

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1356467677' post='595415026']

Every single university in Belgium (and that includes quite some world-class ones like the Catholic University of Leuven and Ghent University) doesn't have any entry requirements. You just need to have finished your secondary education (which is free), but it doesn't matter at all what you did there or how well you did it. There are only a few specific courses that have an entrance exam. Meet the entry requirements? Great, you just enroll. There's no mess with selection procedures, you just study what and where you want.

And then there's the thing about cost. [b]The highest tuition for one year of University in Belgium? Around
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1356467677' post='595415026']

Posted

[quote name='z0phi3l' timestamp='1356465745' post='595414968']
[/quote]

Is there even a law in the state requiring you to properly secure your guns in the house ? If not then the whole thing was perfectly legal up to the point where the kid decided to bring the gun to the school and kill kids.

Posted

[quote name='TPreston' timestamp='1356465446' post='595414948']
From the legal owner...
[/quote]

[quote name='z0phi3l' timestamp='1356465745' post='595414968']
[/quote]

Owner of weapons does not properly secure weapons in his own house, so that makes it OK for someone to break in and steal said weapons and anything done with those weapons is not the fault of the person who broken in and stole them, but is now the fault of the owner of the weapons... :/

Posted

[quote name='LaP' timestamp='1356468707' post='595415052']
Is there even a law in the state requiring you to properly secure your guns in the house ? If not then the whole thing was perfectly legal up to the point where the kid decided to bring the gun to the school and kill kids.
[/quote]

Yeah i don't get people's though process either....

Posted

He didn't mention anything about how Zionists have made most Americans apathetic and docile.

Posted

[quote name='Ambroos' timestamp='1356465002' post='595414942']

[/quote]

This beautiful country was founded by people fleeing persecution from the "enlightened" societies in Europe.Our forefathers added the right to bear arms specially to prevent our government from oppressing the people.

The worst genocides in history have ocurred in the gun-less societies of Europe. Yes we sometimes pay the price when irresponsible people fail to secure their legally owned weapons and / or criminals use weapons illegally.

The number of people killed here by guns is insignificant compared to the number of victims in Europe of repressive regimes.

Michael Moore and Piers Morgan make a living by twisting the facts and creating their own narrative. Good for them. Dont be fooled by their sophistry.

AD

Posted

[quote name='xendrome' timestamp='1356468756' post='595415054']
Owner of weapons does not properly secure weapons in his own house, so that makes it OK for someone to break in and steal said weapons and anything done with those weapons is not the fault of the person who broken in and stole them, but is now the fault of the owner of the weapons... :/
[/quote]

Gee when did I say that ? These weapons were not obtained from the blackmarket they were obtained from his mom
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='AviD' timestamp='1356471262' post='595415130']

The worst genocides in history have ocurred in the gun-less societies of Europe.

AD
[/quote]

For example?

Posted

[quote name='TPreston' timestamp='1356471355' post='595415132']
Gee when did I say that ? These weapons were not obtained from the blackmarket they were obtained from his mom
[/quote]

I do think his mother was negligent in her duties as a gun owner. The weapons are suppssed to be secured at all times. Period. But the person who stole the weapons and yes these were stolen, are solely responsible for the actions commited after the theft of said weapons.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='*RedBull*' timestamp='1356464135' post='595414930']
[/quote]

Apart from the fact that your post makes NO sense whatever, what "above" post are you talking about?
I realise you are a seriously insecure and repressed person, but why drag your sordid life into this forum?