Photo

Do AV companies check each definition update against windows?

hdvideo

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:00

Actually it does matter because in this context, Microsoft is signing the files... You know, the one who creates the actual OS itself...
Never in the history of Windows has there been a built-in virus created by Microsoft themselves. And I'm sure there never will be.
Even if a core .dll (or such) was infected, the only option would be to delete it which would crash the system anyway. What good does that do for anybody? I'll say it again, there's no reason to scan something that will never be broken as long as checksums line up. All the trust you need is in the checksum. Nothing magical about it.

ugh

:facepalm:

#32 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:00

I would like to see webroot's take on this. I know we have a rep or two that posts here.... I'd love for them to participate in this thread.

#33 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:34

Hello,

Some anti-malware companies check Microsoft Windows Updates. That means applying the update across all combinations of Microsoft Windows in all service pack levels, editions, and languages that they support, in combination with all of their products. This might be one or two thousand different configurations, so it's usually the sort of thing that's done headless in a server lab running all those configurations as VMs, although it could involve native hardware if there were a specific reason to do so (e.g., a strategic partnership between the anti-malware company and a device manufacturer for some kind of turnkey solution).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#34 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:50

Hello,

Some anti-malware companies check Microsoft Windows Updates. That means applying the update across all combinations of Microsoft Windows in all service pack levels, editions, and languages that they support, in combination with all of their products. This might be one or two thousand different configurations, so it's usually the sort of thing that's done headless in a server lab running all those configurations as VMs, although it could involve native hardware if there were a specific reason to do so (e.g., a strategic partnership between the anti-malware company and a device manufacturer for some kind of turnkey solution).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

many people are allergic to hypervizors....

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!