Anonymous family pays $211 grocery bill

ALTOONA, Iowa ? An Iowa family received a gift they said they will never forget.

Ruby Modlin was grocery shopping at the Walmart with her family Friday night, picking up items to make cookies and other holiday food with her grandchildren when she noticed a man following her around the store.

"I kept noticing this man, and I'd smile at him," Modlin said.

Modlin thought maybe she graduated from high school with the man, but when she got to the checkout counter and her husband was about to pay, the man stepped in front of her to swipe his credit card.

"I said, ?What?? He said, ?I?m paying for this.? I said, ?No, you?re not.? He said, 'Yes, I am,?? Modlin said.

The man paid, and then handed her the receipt for $211, saying, ?Merry Christmas!?

?He said, ?That?s my daughter and wife over there. We just wanted to come out and do something nice for somebody, and we picked you guys,?? Modlin said.

The man and his family walked away, and Modlin said she and her family have no idea who they were.

"I was still standing there in shock. We were too busy crying, and the register people were smiling," Modlin said.

More