Problems with permission on drives

win8

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:51

Did you run it in an administrative command prompt?

#17 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:00

Okay, so it turns out there are some specific files that I'm trying to shred that are giving this privilege problem. Other files aren't. When I do these permission things a little warning box appears for several files (including the ones I want to shred). Other files can be shredded just fine.
@Detection - Thanks for posting a reply but that didn't solve the issue.

To be clear - the issue is now, there are ~10 files with permission issues it seems

And it turns out when just adding the files in through the program it self (not the right click menu) it shreds. Jeez....

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:02

We can go back and forth for days here, even when you spell out the exact commands!

Its easier for someone to just teamviewer in and fix it for you in like 10 seconds.

As already stated YOU NEED to be an OWNER to set permissions.. Then set them as you need - yes by default admin and system should have full control.

What you do after that on a non system drive is up to you. I root of my D set like this

ntfs.png

Keep in mind when your in explorer your not normally elevated - so your not ADMIN, does not matter if your in the admin group or not.. This is for example you get a prompt to write a file to root of C

accessdenied.png

Notice the permissions on your C drive -- users and authenticated users have what?

userperms.png

If you don't want that to happen then you need to set the permissions how you want them, to set permissions you have to have full control already or be an owner, or be able to elevate to admin that had permissions, etc. etc..

Now if you want we can have yet another discussion on the basics of NTFS permissions.. But the information to fix your issue has already been given.

As stated take OWNER of your D from the root, write this ownership down the tree. Then set the permissions how you want.. Since the disk came from other OS, then sure its a good idea to reset them! Its not going to hurt anything if its just a data drive. You could set everyone to full control as the only permission if you wanted.. Its your DISK, set the permissions how you want!

Or just PM details so I can TeamViewer in and we can straighten all out in like 10 seconds.

#19 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:15

Thanks for your help BudMan but I have all of that set already.

EDIT: I think I got it all fixed...

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 14:11

And it only took three days ;) And you "think" its fixed... sweet!

#21 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2012 - 15:13

And it only took three days ;) And you "think" its fixed... sweet!

:/