10 Insanely Overpaid Public Employees

Exactly. We have no problems paying sports players/coaches almost ten times more than a teacher.

Also it's Mercedes, not Mercadies.

not sure where that spelling came from *lol*

Where do your schools rank relative to others in the nation?

As for $80k for the university profs, that sounds about right for entry level pay. At UT Austin, most assistant professors make around $75,000. Getting tenure is where the big bucks roll in.

school rank as in terms of educational quality? they rank just above "average" not superior or anything... graduation rates are normal, SAT scores are normal, nothing over the top

why are teachers overpaid? American teachers sure the education system there blows but they are still a very much needed profession.

My friends get ****ed off at me cause I make almost 30 an hour to sit in a room and play WoW (im supposed to be I.T lol) but its what the job paid and I took it boohoo to anyone that hates it.

Notice the "/s" at the end of my post.

The general consensus here in USA is that we have no problem paying ball players/coaches/CEOs ten times more than a teacher.

When the priority is put on entertainment (sport game show), business, instead of education, and even go as far as vilify teachers, you know something is wrong.

P.S. Watching sport game shows doesn't mean you are active and sporty.

• Like 1

The general consensus here in USA is that we have no problem paying ball players/coaches/CEOs ten times more than a teacher.

When the priority is put on entertainment (sport game show), business, instead of education, and even go as far as vilify teachers, you know something is wrong.

still half asleep so my bad I didn't see the /s lol

I knew a guy who worked for the county that put in 37.5 years without taking a sick day. The number/year grew from 12 for new hires to 24 for those with 20 years in.

Not only did he get paid for ALL of them plus all of his unused vacation days when he retired, and that income was also counted into his last years income when his retirement was calculated. The formula was retirement = 65% of the average of your last 5 years, so with that outsized final year he walked away making more retired than when he was on active duty.

Not only ghat, but retirees got a quarterly COLA (cost of living allowance) check to adjust their take for inflation. And fully paid health insurance. And discounted car and legal insurance. And at X age they could draw Social Security from the Feds, along with Medicare coverage.

What a racket.

difference is teachers are paid PUBLIC employees, paid through taxes, sports players are a private company who can do what ever they want with their money..... huge difference is tax money vs private money.... the whole who paid for the stadium argument is nothing because the teams don't usually own the stadiums, they lease them from someone else and just use it

difference is teachers are paid PUBLIC employees, paid through taxes, sports players are a private company who can do what ever they want with their money..... huge difference is tax money vs private money.... the whole who paid for the stadium argument is nothing because the teams don't usually own the stadiums, they lease them from someone else and just use it

My point wasn't about confusing private employee with public employee.

My point was about the priorities of our society. Yes I agree there should be differences in terms of pay with sports player and teachers. One is educating the children, passing the knowledge so the society can evolve; one is providing entertainment to current public.

Don't you think there's a problem when we value instant entertainment more than education?

Anyway.

• Like 3

My point wasn't about confusing private employee with public employee.

My point was about the priorities of our society. Yes I agree there should be differences in terms of pay with sports player and teachers. One is educating the children, passing the knowledge so the society can evolve; one is providing entertainment to current public.

Don't you think there's a problem when we value instant entertainment more than education?

Anyway.

so... someone should have a set pay cap just because?... the public isn't setting this expectation, the players themselves are, they are the greedy little ......'s that demand that money

so... someone should have a set pay cap just because?... the public isn't setting this expectation, the players themselves are, they are the greedy little ......'s that demand that money

That's funny. If you are saying those sports players are greedy little .....'s that demand that money, but then everyone has no problem letting them earn that much? Is there's a name for that? Is it Hypocrisy?

That's funny. If you are saying those sports players are greedy little .....'s that demand that money, but then everyone has no problem letting them earn that much? Is there's a name for that? Is it Hypocrisy?

different when the market decides the pay vs the salary of public employees who are grossly overpaid compared to their private sector counterparts.

Think you mean "Grossly underpaid private sector compared to their public sector counterparts".

What you're saying is that it's okay for a CEO to be paid millions per year without having to fight for it but it's not okay for an ordinary worker to get the best deal they can for themselves?

This is the attitude that created the need for unions in the first place.

Boss: I expect you to work as hard as I do if you want a job here.

Job seeker: Does that mean I get the same pay as you?

Boss: Next!

different when the market decides the pay vs the salary of public employees who are grossly overpaid compared to their private sector counterparts.

Hence the priority issue.

Think you mean "Grossly underpaid private sector compared to their public sector counterparts".

What you're saying is that it's okay for a CEO to be paid millions per year without having to fight for it but it's not okay for an ordinary worker to get the best deal they can for themselves?

This is the attitude that created the need for unions in the first place.

Boss: I expect you to work as hard as I do if you want a job here.

Job seeker: Does that mean I get the same pay as you?

Boss: Next!

right, because without unions right now, we will all be getting paid a dollar a day....

no, what i wrote is correct. the market decided their pays, not a collective bargaining or however they strong armed their pay, where the market has no say neither does the public with their taxes. i don't know why you want to bring in a ceo argument, as far as i know, public company ceos usually get paid a competitive salary if not better than their comparative private sector ceo's. are you saying those public employees should be paid as much as their ceo?

Hence the priority issue.

but how is that relevant to public sector salary vs comparative private sector salary? everyone wants more pay but only 1 sector has its head in reality. i don't think private sector employees complain that they don't get paid as much as an actor. its only the public sector which wants to compare themselves with superstar salaries when the public questions their pay. i dunno why.

but how is that relevant to public sector salary vs comparative private sector salary? everyone wants more pay but only 1 sector has its head in reality. i don't think private sector employees complain that they don't get paid as much as an actor. its only the public sector which wants to compare themselves with superstar salaries when the public questions their pay. i dunno why.

Maybe you didn't hear it? Can be as simple as that. Maybe the media focusing public sector more so you get to see it more on TV? Doesn't mean private sector whine less.

Maybe you didn't hear it? Can be as simple as that. Maybe the media focusing public sector more so you get to see it more on TV? Doesn't mean private sector whine less.

no i havent heard of programmers, engineers, grunts wanting to be paid 1 million a year base salary. link me.

no i havent heard of programmers, engineers, grunts wanting to be paid 1 million a year base salary. link me.

So does that imply you heard public servants wanting to be paid 1 million a year base salary? link me.

P.S. putting it in the context, you heard teachers wanting to be paid 1 million a year? link me.

So does that imply you heard public servants wanting to be paid 1 million a year base salary? link me.

P.S. putting it in the context, you heard teachers wanting to be paid 1 million a year? link me.

No, i haven't heard... So if nobody is wanting superstar salaries why you bringing it up here?

Some tax payers think public employees are overpaid in comparisson to the private sector and you talk about how the priorities are twisted. Okay... But that doesn't change the fact that people think public employees are overpaid. Imagine we paid athletes and musicians etc... an avg salary... That wont change the fact that people will still think the 5-10% (at the very least and thats just salary, lets not get into entitlements) premium public employees get paid over their private sector counterparts, is too much.

No, i haven't heard... So if nobody is wanting superstar salaries why you bringing it up here?

Some tax payers think public employees are overpaid in comparisson to the private sector and you talk about how the priorities are twisted. Okay... But that doesn't change the fact that people think public employees are overpaid. Imagine we paid athletes and musicians etc... an avg salary... That wont change the fact that people will still think the 5-10% (at the very least) premium they get paid over their private sector counterparts, is too much.

I bringing it up here? Did you read the OP?

And let's be honest, who DON'T want to get paid 1 million per year? It's called human wants, and it's unlimited.

I bringing it up here? Did you read the OP?

And let's be honest, who DON'T want to get paid 1 million per year? It's called human wants, and it's unlimited.

K im lost, whos saying we have our priorities twisted and implying we shouldnt be complaining about the higher salaries of public employees?

K im lost, whos saying we have our priorities twisted and implying we shouldnt be complaining about the higher salaries of public employees?

I said that. Now I'm lost. Does that mean I said everyone wants superstar salaries?

right, because without unions right now, we will all be getting paid a dollar a day....

no, what i wrote is correct. the market decided their pays, not a collective bargaining or however they strong armed their pay, where the market has no say neither does the public with their taxes. i don't know why you want to bring in a ceo argument, as far as i know, public company ceos usually get paid a competitive salary if not better than their comparative private sector ceo's. are you saying those public employees should be paid as much as their ceo?

No, what I was arguing is why is it wrong for employees to get the best deal they can?

People aren't under the illusion of getting million dollar salaries, doesn't mean there's any harm in asking!