Iran 'fends off new cyber attack'

A power plant and other industries in southern Iran have been targeted by the Stuxnet computer worm, an Iranian civil defence official says.

But the cyber attack has been successfully rebuffed and prevented from spreading, Iranian media report.

Iran's nuclear enrichment efforts were hit hard in 2010 by the Stuxnet worm, which was also blamed for problems at industrial plants and factories.

Tehran accused Israel and the US of planting the malware.

Provincial civil defence chief Ali Akbar Akhavan said Iranian industry was constantly being targeted by "enemy cyber attacks" and companies in Hormozgan province had recently been infiltrated, the semi-official Isna news agency reported.

"The Bandar Abbas electricity supply company has come under cyber attack," he told a news conference. "But we were able to prevent its expansion owing to our timely measures and the co-operation of skilled hackers."

more

Do they have any proof? Accusing someone is the easy part.

I guess prior suspicions would be their reasoning. It's fairly widely accepted at this point that Stuxnet either came from the US and/or Israel, and both have stated their intention to stop Iran's nuclear program dead. It's only logical that they'd be the go-to suspects for any attack on Iranian infrastructure.

The rule is... If it's against an islamic country, it's most likely Israel. Doesn't matter if true or not, the finger of blame will always be pointed there.

^ Possible Israel could have paid hackers in other countries, to do the job also.

I read this the other day and love the last paragraph on the bbc article;

'US President Barack Obama has said the US will do "what we must" to stop Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.'

Haha, they're not at all suggesting it may have been the US... ;)

Are Technica had an article of some researchers studied the Stuxnet virus and concluded its Israel/USA joint effort attack Iran.

Are Technica had an article of some researchers studied the Stuxnet virus and concluded its Israel/USA joint effort attack Iran.

Yeah, I read that, but it didn't really prove they did it. I wouldn't be surprise if they did, mind you. However, it would be easy for someone to make it look like the US and Israel did it, because everyone would naturally assume that they did.

Yeah, I read that, but it didn't really prove they did it. I wouldn't be surprise if they did, mind you. However, it would be easy for someone to make it look like the US and Israel did it, because everyone would naturally assume that they did.

Didn't the US Govt come out with a statement that they did indeed develop such cyber warfare software in collusion with Israel? It was big news a few months ago.

Edit: The attacks were codenamed "Olympic Games"

http://news.techeye.net/security/obama-administration-admits-the-usa-was-behind-stuxnet

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html?_r=2&hp&

Administration officials revealed to Sanger that the Stuxnet virus was developed by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Israel's Unit 8200 (i.e. Israel's secretive cyber arm) to "become the attacker from within" Iran's nuclear facilities.

Sources told Sanger that they believed the Israelis introduced the error in the code.

?We think there was a modification done by the Israelis,? an unidentified U.S. source reportedly told the president, ?and we don?t know if we were part of that activity.?

Vice President Joe Biden accused the Israelis of going ?too far,? a source told Sanger.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/06/obama-ordered-stuxnet-continued/