Photo

Humans could contact aliens within 12 years

square kilometer array nick pope extra-terrestrial life worlds largest radio telescope

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#16 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:39

I have always found it weird that people don't believe in Aliens.
There's Billions, no mopre than Trillions and Trillions of stars out there, which are suns of other solar systems, and of course many many many would have life.
It's plain stupid to even doubt life on other planets.
Even in our own solar system there's more than likely life on the other planets. Just cuz we couldn't live on them, doesn't mean some other species couldn't.
Are people really that retarded? It doesn't even make sense to think that we're the only ones around.
There's way more proof that aliens exist than God, but it's alright to believe in God, but you're considered crazy if you believe in Aliens, go figure.

In all fairness there is as much proof of alien existence as there is for god, which is none. The odds say we are not alone, given the vast size of space and the amount of stars and planets. We know the materials for life exists elsewhere. We know life "can" exist off planet Earth. We DO NOT how ever have evidence of alien life itself. So while it is astronomically silly to think we are the only planet with life, as of yet, we are the only planet that we know for sure that has it.

#17 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:16

In all fairness there is as much proof of alien existence as there is for god, which is none. The odds say we are not alone, given the vast size of space and the amount of stars and planets. We know the materials for life exists elsewhere. We know life "can" exist off planet Earth. We DO NOT how ever have evidence of alien life itself. So while it is astronomically silly to think we are the only planet with life, as of yet, we are the only planet that we know for sure that has it.

How do people really know that atoms exist even though they can't see them?

No one has ever really seen an atom. Humans like to see something before they believe in it. I am sure there are some people who object to that since there have been claims that electron microscopes have imaged atoms. I believe that illuminating an object with electrons, capturing those electrons and recreating an image is also indirect evidence.

Now I said no one has seen an atom, but we have seen so much evidence of their existence that most of us believe in them.

http://education.jla...history_03.html

I have never seen a tree fall without someone cutting it down. While I can't say for sure that trees fall of natural consequences, it would be pointless to believe otherwise without strong evidence to the contrary due to the amount of convincing evidence that shows that they probably do.

#18 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:28

I have never seen a tree fall without someone cutting it down. While I can't say for sure that trees fall of natural consequences, it would be pointless to believe otherwise without strong evidence to the contrary due to the amount of convincing evidence that shows that they probably do.

No where do I deny the probability or likelihood of the existence of alien life, I deny that proof or evidence for it currently exists.

As for your tree example. You have evidence of a tree, you have evidence that it fell, what remains is the how. The bigger picture is that you still have evidence, even if it's partial. There is no evidence for alien life, period.

#19 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,356 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:03

Mocking the idea of aliens is like mocking the idea of machine powered flight in 1901, or the idea of a man going to the moon in 1959.

Astronomers have shown that stars have planets orbiting them as a rule, not an exception. There are roughly a trillion planets in our galaxy alone. If 0.001% of them have any kind of life, that's 10,000,000 planets with life. If only 0.001% of the planets with life have intelligent life, that's 100 planets in our galaxy with intelligent life. Humans have existed for less than 0.25% of our planet's life.

I don't mock the idea of aliens, but I do mock the idea of making contact with them using radio signals, the best we could do is listen to their random signals, for contact I think we'll need something better than radio.

#20 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:36

No where do I deny the probability or likelihood of the existence of alien life, I deny that proof or evidence for it currently exists.

That's like saying that there is no proof that the sun doesn't orbit the earth in the 17th century.

There is quite a wealth of evidence, which in itself is proof.

There doesn't have to be a body, or a murder weapon, or a witness for enough "proof" to decide in a court of law to put a human being to death for a crime. All it takes is enough evidence to "prove beyond a reasonable doubt". You admit that it is beyond a reasonable doubt, so in a court of law that would equate to proof.

The burden of proof at this point is on those that believe that it could only happen once in a trillion times; that believe it's a miracle that in a DNA strewn soup of molecules where stars and planets form some of the complex organic matter happened to land on a rock the size of a planet between the distance of Venus and Mars relative to it's star's energy output.

Just like there is overwhelming evidence that atoms, electrons, and quarks exist, there is overwhelming evidence that life is common in the galaxy even though it hasn't been directly observed.

#21 thomastmc

thomastmc

• 1,329 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:46

I don't mock the idea of aliens, but I do mock the idea of making contact with them using radio signals, the best we could do is listen to their random signals, for contact I think we'll need something better than radio.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. It's possible we could hear something, which would be definitive proof of intelligent life and offer a wealth of insight to an alien culture. I wouldn't be willing to gamble on us hearing anything though.

#22 Gasoau

Gasoau

Neowinian

• 106 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51

Reminded me of the movie Battleship. "A small fleet of alien ships arrives in response to the NASA signal."

#23 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:02

That's like saying that there is no proof that the sun doesn't orbit the earth in the 17th century.

There is quite a wealth of evidence, which in itself is proof.

There doesn't have to be a body, or a murder weapon, or a witness for enough "proof" to decide in a court of law to put a human being to death for a crime. All it takes is enough evidence to "prove beyond a reasonable doubt". You admit that it is beyond a reasonable doubt, so in a court of law that would equate to proof.

Ok first off, you attempt to use another example that already contains proof of it's existence, the sun and the Earth. The evidence of both is there readily available to all.

Second, if you have evidence, then by all means post it. I see you suggesting there is but don't bother to post a single shred of it. Third, evidence in the court of law is by far no where the same as scientific evidence for proving X. For example, in a court room a witness can testify to seeing something and have that counted as evidence. In science, first hand eye witness testimony is not considered viable evidence.

NDT can put it best in terms of eye witness testimony, start around the 3 min mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJElZwEI8o

The burden of proof at this point is on those that believe that it could only happen once in a trillion times; that believe it's a miracle that in a DNA strewn soup of molecules where stars and planets form some of the complex organic matter happened to land on a rock the size of a planet between the distance of Venus and Mars relative to it's star's energy output.

Just like there is overwhelming evidence that atoms, electrons, and quarks exist, there is overwhelming evidence that life is common in the galaxy even though it hasn't been directly observed.

Wrong the burden of proof is on those that say there is proof to begin with. Again odds are there is life beyond Earth, I believe this highly but the simple FACT is, we currently do not have proof. As for atoms, electrons and so on, at one point, we had theories of such but we didn't have the proof. Over time proof was gathered, it may have always been there but it wasn't known and wasn't within our reach to gather it. So in a sense if there is proof of alien life, we just don't currently have it. So unless you can provide said evidence, then you're talking out of your ass by saying there is a wealth of it.

#24 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• 980 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:03

Never doubt the possibility, it could certainly happen.

#25 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:03

Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. It's possible we could hear something, which would be definitive proof of intelligent life and offer a wealth of insight to an alien culture. I wouldn't be willing to gamble on us hearing anything though.

So you wouldn't be willing to gamble on us hearing anything yet you already believe there is a wealth of evidence? That's a bit backwards in thinking.

#26 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08

Given the sheer size of the universe I find it highly unlikely that we're the only planet with life on it, in fact I personally believe there are almost certainly aliens out there somewhere but until we have any tangible evidence that they exist it's little more than an intriguing theory. Nor am I really sure if any of the "UFO" sightings on Earth were actual aliens or not.

#27 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:04

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

... I'm still not convinced about aliens or UFOs though.

#28 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:29

Please just prevent Religion from being involved in our First Contact..... :/

#29 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:43

So this Nigerian prince who keeps emailing me could in actual fact be an alien?

#30 DonnieJim

DonnieJim

Neowinian

• 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:13

First post but here is my belief on the subject.
http://www.universet...-exists-at-all/