Can-t correctly shutdown and/or hibernate

Hey

This might be related to my hibernation issue; Everytime I try to shutdown my OS, it shuts down but the hardware (fans, HDDs, lights, etc) stay on and running. They stay like this forever.

Why is this? This has never happened before and was working a couple of weeks back. I virus scanned and nothing.

What could be wrong?

http://searchenterpr...-wont-shut-down

I find it easier and faster to just search for things myself rather than ask and wait here.

What makes you think it did not search for it myself?

BTW, your solution has NOTHING to do with my question.

Check your bios settings and make sure Standby/Sleep mode is S3 not S1

Yes, the mode S3 is enabled. I havent changed anything in my BIOS.

ACPI driver and Video driver might need to be updated or downgraded if they were recently updated.

Why would a video driver have anything to do with it?

Video drivers have everything to do with sleep/hibernation/shut down!!

Just like the computer I'm on now. Guy is to cheap to buy a decent video card, so computer has no sleep function and I disabled hibernate as that crap thing has ALWAYS caused issues in Winodows since the day it was invented.

What makes you think it did not search for it myself?

BTW, your solution has NOTHING to do with my question.

I just took a look and it seems to me it has everything to do with your problem

I just took a look and it seems to me it has everything to do with your problem

It talks about mainly sleep and hibernation issues, when it does do it and suddenly wakes up. My computer NEVER reaches the point of hibernation and/or shutdown, its fans just keep running never once turning off.

NOTHING to do with my question. Completly differnet issue.

It talks about mainly sleep and hibernation issues, when it does do it and suddenly wakes up. My computer NEVER reaches the point of hibernation and/or shutdown, its fans just keep running never once turning off.

NOTHING to do with my question. Completly differnet issue.

Well he was just trying to help, chances are he didnt read the WHOLE article. You are the one asking for help (3 times over) thats your job to read it. If it doesnt help then try something else. Don't fall out with people for suggesting google.

Here are results one and 2 from my very first google search (Computer shuts down but fans keep running)

http://www.tomshardw...unning-shutdown

Hello,

I have a problem . Even after i shutdown my pc fan still keeps running indefinately, i can still eject and close DVD drives, they aren't powered down!. But monitor is powered down.

http://www.esaw2012....pic.php?id=2397

When I shut down my sons computer, it almost shuts down all the way. Except the cpu and case fans run wide open. The MB lights are still on... The only way to complete the shut down is to turn the power strip off or turn the PSU off.

Now those sound related to your issue to me.

And just incase, here is the google search with many many more results of people with the same problem

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=899

Do a system restore to an earlier date.

Open the system restore wizard an choose a date that the system was working fine. Windows creates restore points every time an update is performed. This comes in handy for when something is not right with the system. This does not delete or remove custom files like docs or game saves.

Well he was just trying to help, chances are he didnt read the WHOLE article. You are the one asking for help (3 times over) thats your job to read it. If it doesnt help then try something else. Don't fall out with people for suggesting google.

Here are results one and 2 from my very first google search (Computer shuts down but fans keep running)

http://www.tomshardw...unning-shutdown

http://www.esaw2012....pic.php?id=2397

Now those sound related to your issue to me.

And just incase, here is the google search with many many more results of people with the same problem

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=899

Um all the links you posted are broken :s

Do a system restore to an earlier date.

Open the system restore wizard an choose a date that the system was working fine. Windows creates restore points every time an update is performed. This comes in handy for when something is not right with the system. This does not delete or remove custom files like docs or game saves.

You sure about that? I think it removed all files made after that point.

Very unless you are doing a factory restore not a windows restore point restore. I have done this multiple times for clients. Back your stuff up to be 100% if you have doubts. During the restore process it even says that it will not remove any data. Read the screens.

first off all, what PSU, motherboard/CPU and graphics card do you have?

when did the issue start happening, or has it always happend since you first had the computer (how long have you had the computer)

was it a custom build you made yourself or is it a store bought computer (make/model if you know it)

if you dont know what components/motherboard/CPU/graphics card you have, try using this:

Speccy:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

which should identify them.

have you checked on the manufacturers website to see if there is a known issue and a hotfix issued?

After December patch Tuesday, my PC now refuses to shutdown properly. I have to force power it off every time but in my case, I get thrown back to desktop as if I never attempted to shutdown. Does this sound similar?

I haven't found time yet to actually troubleshoot what's causing it.

first off all, what PSU, motherboard/CPU and graphics card do you have?

when did the issue start happening, or has it always happend since you first had the computer (how long have you had the computer)

was it a custom build you made yourself or is it a store bought computer (make/model if you know it)

if you dont know what components/motherboard/CPU/graphics card you have, try using this:

Speccy:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

which should identify them.

have you checked on the manufacturers website to see if there is a known issue and a hotfix issued?

This has never happened to me before on this same computer with the same software.

After December patch Tuesday, my PC now refuses to shutdown properly. I have to force power it off every time but in my case, I get thrown back to desktop as if I never attempted to shutdown. Does this sound similar?

I haven't found time yet to actually troubleshoot what's causing it.

My issue was similar: I tried to hibernate and the screen would go black then suddenly Id get thrown back to the login screen to input my password. I input try it again and same thing over and over again.......

Could be related issues :s

have you installed any new drivers in the last few months, or remote desktop software?

check in the control panel, device manager to see if any of the sections are open and any drivers in an error state.

would help if you listed the components aswell.

Edit_

start the computer up in safe mode, keep pressing F8 on startup, select safe mode, then once it's loaded see if you can hibernate or shut down without any issue, this should rule out any hardware problems.

if it shuts down correctly, there is most likely some software or drivers preventing the system from shutting down correctly.

have you installed any new drivers in the last few months, or remote desktop software?

Around when this started, as far as I recall, no.......I might be forgetting something :s

There was a member here that said that he ran Windows Update and faced a similar issue.

check in the control panel, device manager to see if any of the sections are open and any drivers in an error state.

would help if you listed the components aswell.

Edit_

start the computer up in safe mode, keep pressing F8 on startup, select safe mode, then once it's loaded see if you can hibernate or shut down without any issue, this should rule out any hardware problems.

if it shuts down correctly, there is most likely some software or drivers preventing the system from shutting down correctly.

Ill try the safe mode procedure. Good call :)

you could also do a diognostic startup.

in the start menu type in

msconfig

here you can see all the services and starutp programs, in the general tab there is an option for 'diagnostic startup' this will turn everything off except the very basic items that need to run for windows to work.

might be worth going through the startup items deselecting what you dont really need to start up, and going through the services (at the bottom hide microsoft services) and start with just what you need to start, might sort the issue out.