Can-t correctly shutdown and/or hibernate

win7

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 20:24

first off all, what PSU, motherboard/CPU and graphics card do you have?

when did the issue start happening, or has it always happend since you first had the computer (how long have you had the computer)

was it a custom build you made yourself or is it a store bought computer (make/model if you know it)

if you dont know what components/motherboard/CPU/graphics card you have, try using this:

Speccy:
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

which should identify them.

have you checked on the manufacturers website to see if there is a known issue and a hotfix issued?

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:46

After December patch Tuesday, my PC now refuses to shutdown properly. I have to force power it off every time but in my case, I get thrown back to desktop as if I never attempted to shutdown. Does this sound similar?
I haven't found time yet to actually troubleshoot what's causing it.

#18 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 15:09

first off all, what PSU, motherboard/CPU and graphics card do you have?

when did the issue start happening, or has it always happend since you first had the computer (how long have you had the computer)

was it a custom build you made yourself or is it a store bought computer (make/model if you know it)

if you dont know what components/motherboard/CPU/graphics card you have, try using this:

Speccy:
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

which should identify them.

have you checked on the manufacturers website to see if there is a known issue and a hotfix issued?

This has never happened to me before on this same computer with the same software.

After December patch Tuesday, my PC now refuses to shutdown properly. I have to force power it off every time but in my case, I get thrown back to desktop as if I never attempted to shutdown. Does this sound similar?
I haven't found time yet to actually troubleshoot what's causing it.

My issue was similar: I tried to hibernate and the screen would go black then suddenly Id get thrown back to the login screen to input my password. I input try it again and same thing over and over again.......

Could be related issues :s

#19 roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 21:02

have you installed any new drivers in the last few months, or remote desktop software?

check in the control panel, device manager to see if any of the sections are open and any drivers in an error state.

would help if you listed the components aswell.

Edit_

start the computer up in safe mode, keep pressing F8 on startup, select safe mode, then once it's loaded see if you can hibernate or shut down without any issue, this should rule out any hardware problems.

if it shuts down correctly, there is most likely some software or drivers preventing the system from shutting down correctly.

#20 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 30 December 2012 - 23:55

have you installed any new drivers in the last few months, or remote desktop software?

Around when this started, as far as I recall, no.......I might be forgetting something :s

There was a member here that said that he ran Windows Update and faced a similar issue.

check in the control panel, device manager to see if any of the sections are open and any drivers in an error state.

would help if you listed the components aswell.

Edit_

start the computer up in safe mode, keep pressing F8 on startup, select safe mode, then once it's loaded see if you can hibernate or shut down without any issue, this should rule out any hardware problems.

if it shuts down correctly, there is most likely some software or drivers preventing the system from shutting down correctly.

Ill try the safe mode procedure. Good call :)

#21 Chris000001

Chris000001

Neowinian

Posted 31 December 2012 - 00:18

You could try to hibernate and then try a powercfg -lastwake at a command prompt when it comes back on to see if the computer knows what is waking it up.

#22 roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

Posted 31 December 2012 - 00:26

you could also do a diognostic startup.

in the start menu type in

msconfig

here you can see all the services and starutp programs, in the general tab there is an option for 'diagnostic startup' this will turn everything off except the very basic items that need to run for windows to work.

might be worth going through the startup items deselecting what you dont really need to start up, and going through the services (at the bottom hide microsoft services) and start with just what you need to start, might sort the issue out.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!