• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,134 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 December 2012 - 00:08

Yes ... my father still has a 4 digit pin with CIBC.

I'm with Desjardins for over 10 years, always had a 5 digit pin.

If you give out 8 digit pin, too many people will forget.

Problem with more digits on a pin is you need compatibility.
For example in the UK, you'd need ALL banks and building societies to switch to using longer pins which would require new bank machines or at least a firmware upgrade, plus all the database infastructure would need upgrading.
That would cost BILLIONS. As they say, 'if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it'.

#47 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 7,827 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 28 December 2012 - 00:08

My PIN is 4321. I am safe.

#48 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 00:59

Seriously, how hard is it to randomly press 4 numbers and remember it?

I know. I probably could guess it, given time.

#49 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,429 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:12

Not really anything to be worried about unless the PIN actually is 1234, 1111, or 0000. You only get a couple tries before the ATM eats the card, so chances are the code won't be cracked in any timely manner.

Not all ATM's consume the card until the transaction is completed. Several models are swipe style.

#50 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,700 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:29

Is this USA based only, or are there crazy banks in other countries that don't have a security feature on the ATMs that just "eats" the card if you input the wrong pin three times and the only way to get the card back is to go to the bank?

My bank does this. It doesn't physically take your card but it does disable the card if the wrong pin is entered too many times. Happened to me once when I forgot my pin :/

#51 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 6,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:05

Only old ATMS eat the cards, the new ones are swipe only. However most block the card after 3 attempts.

Not all of ATMs... I use an ATM that is new but not swipe... After I finish with it, the card pops back out.

ATMs are vary based on it's factory design/brand... and based on which location it is being used at. If you want an ATM in your building (such as a store), you will get swipe version of ATM for your building.

If you want an ATM in your new bank, you get whatever you want... swipe or insert slot ATM machine/kiosk.

#52 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,134 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:13

Not all of ATMs... I use an ATM that is new but not swipe... After I finish with it, the card pops back out.

ATMs are vary based on it's factory design/brand... and based on which location it is being used at. If you want an ATM in your building (such as a store), you will get swipe version of ATM for your building.

If you want an ATM in your new bank, you get whatever you want... swipe or insert slot ATM machine/kiosk.

Only in the US.
Slot only in the UK.

#53 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 6,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:19

Only in the US.
Slot only in the UK.

I know that.. I said ATMs are vary... re-read my post.

#54 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,648 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:20

Only old ATMS eat the cards, the new ones are swipe only. However most block the card after 3 attempts.

I don't think it's an old/new thing. It's big/small ATMs. Here in Aussie anyway.

Upright ATMs in corner stores are usually swipe, and are terribly slow and not owned by a bank. ATM's owned by, and in the walls of banks and shopping centres usually will eat the card.

But yeah, or block the card at the least.

#55 arachnoid

arachnoid

Call the Opticians

• 2,990 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18

There was a skit last year where they set up a dummy atm machine in a mall with a person inside.When the card is inserted the person swipes the card and notes the entered pin number then rejects the card back to the customer as a failed transaction.
Lots of videos explaining the scams like

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!