I have Windows Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

Microsoft is offering an amazing deal for Windows 8. You can upgrade for only $40 until 1/30/13. I have Vista since it came with my computer 3 years ago. I hate it because it's pretty slow and does have problems occasionally. Is it recommended that I take advantage of this offer and upgrade to Windows 8? I've never used it before so I'm not sure how much better it is than Vista.

Thanks!

Windows 8 is blazing fast compared to Vista, and a less resource hog. It would be a massive improvement for you, you'll just need to get use to the new UI. That being said, if you're having problems with your OS, a simple upgrade might not solve your issue.

And for the record, any upgrade solution of any OS would be better than Vista :p

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely. It's mind boggling you didn't upgrade to Windows 7, given that you have problems with Vista. What are your PC specs - maybe you can buy some parts to make your computer faster?

Windows 7 was the perfect upgrade to Vista. 8 is comparable in performance to 7, but as you might've seen in various threads around this forum, a lot of people get their panties in a bunch over the Start screen.

Windows 8 is blazing fast compared to Vista, and a less resource hog. It would be a massive improvement for you, you'll just need to get use to the new UI. That being said, if you're having problems with your OS, a simple upgrade might not solve your issue.

And for the record, any upgrade solution of any OS would be better than Vista :p

no.. not really. Vista was a decent OS. Upgrade to 8 only if you understand that you are trading one set of frustrations with another.

no.. not really. Vista was a decent OS. Upgrade to 8 only if you understand that you are trading one set of frustrations with another.

Well if OP hates Windows 8, he/she could upgrade from Vista to 8, and have the best of both worlds. Really, there is no reason not to upgrade from Vista to 7/8.

As for speed, you can try buying more RAM, an SSD, or a newer CPU (depending on what you're doing with your computer, but there could be complications here)

A OS upgrade will help a little bit (either 7 or 8). With only 2 GB of RAM, I would think the best upgrade would be to add more memory (to at least 4 GB or more even 6 or 8).

Oh I agree, I've already down graded back to 7 from 8, but I would easily choose 8 over Vista.

A OS upgrade will help a little bit (either 7 or 8). With only 2 GB of RAM, I would think the best upgrade would be to add more memory (to at least 4 GB or more even 6 or 8).

Yes, but he will still be stuck with a 5 year old OS. The ability of Windows 8 to run smoothly on older hardware is almost legendary :).

Ok, looks like upgrading is the best option. Just one more question.... if I buy the upgrade, will I lose all my saved documents on my computer, such as my word/excel files, pictures and videos? Or will they get ported over to Win 8 when the upgrade is complete? Just wondering if I need to backup before upgrading. Sorry if this question is silly but I've never upgraded to a new OS before on an existing computer.

A backup is never a bad idea, even if you're doing the upgrade install. Things can go wrong. Personally, I prefer a clean install regardless.

I would upgrade without a doubt or even thinking about it. Now I've had Windows 8 for a while, absolutely love it.

Microsoft is offering an amazing deal for Windows 8. You can upgrade for only $40 until 1/30/13. I have Vista since it came with my computer 3 years ago. I hate it because it's pretty slow and does have problems occasionally. Is it recommended that I take advantage of this offer and upgrade to Windows 8? I've never used it before so I'm not sure how much better it is than Vista.

Thanks!

I am surprised no one has suggested this yet

Well before -- I would go fork out the money-

I would at least run the Upgrade Assistant then see what is compatible first.

It should give you what is compatible and what is not. as a starting base.

http://windows.micro...de-to-windows-8

Yes do it!

You'll see a huge improvement.

A backup is never a bad idea, even if you're doing the upgrade install. Things can go wrong. Personally, I prefer a clean install regardless.

This. Do a backup and do a clean install, much better.

I've installed Win8 on an HP DV6609 with Athlon 64 X2 @ 1.8GHz, 2GB ram and it runs fine.

You might have to hunt down Vista or Win7 drivers though, depending on the hardware.

Just remember, if you upgrade to 8, I believe it is only for 32 bit OS and not 64 bit. ( talking about downloading, not buying retail). Also, you can always install classic shell if you don't like the windows 8 UI

Just remember, if you upgrade to 8, I believe it is only for 32 bit OS and not 64 bit. ( talking about downloading, not buying retail). Also, you can always install classic shell if you don't like the windows 8 UI

lol wut? :/

This is what I meant:

"Upgrade Advisor only provides you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you?re currently using. So if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, and you use Upgrade Advisor to perform an upgrade or clean install, the resulting Windows 8 Pro OS you get will be 32-bit. (Ditto for those who start with a 64-bit version of Windows: You will get Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.)"

If you use the online upgrade assistant it'll only download like for like, so it'll only download 32bit if you're using a 32bit system.

Trick if you want to go from 32 bit to 64 is to either use a mates 64 bit machine to download the upgrade or purchase the backup upgrade disc.

Edit: to slow, beaten to it.

Ok, I was just about ready to do the upgrade, but the Upgrade Assistant came up with over 30 programs on my computer that won't run on Windows 8 and I'll be forced to buy upgraded versions, such as Office XP, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Ulead VideoStudio SE, etc... I thought people hated Vista because of its Compatibility issues. So, why do people like Win 8 better if its compatibility is worse? I have tons of old programs in Vista that run just fine and now I find out they won't work in Win 8. I don't understand the hype for Win 8 if it won't run older programs and its compatibility is worse than Vista's.