I have Windows Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

get windows 7, windows 8 feels like a beta os at the moment, yes its fast to start up but if you have a traditional device - laptop/desktop its not really built for you. its more for those fancy laptops you see on tv which turn into ipad like devices

Its only fast to startup because it never really shutdown in the first place

Disable fast boot and it takes the same length of time as 7

Its only fast to startup because it never really shutdown in the first place

Disable fast boot and it takes the same length of time as 7

yes, disable something 7 doesn't have and it's just like 7...

that's sound thinking there

yes, disable something 7 doesn't have and it's just like 7...

that's sound thinking there

Do you actually know how fast boot works? Obviously not.

If 8 truly was faster than 7 at booting, you wouldn't be able to disable it, do some research.

I have been using Windows 8 on my Acer laptop for several months now, and I find that like many others, Windows 8 Irritates the hell out of me. If you do more than email or surf the web on your PC, stay far away from Windows 8.

Check out this thread on Reddit for more opinions on Windows 8.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/15rtbr/windows_8_proving_less_popular_than_vista/

At least 40 million people are using windows 8 now, so you can either trust the general population, or some fanboys on websites and blogs.

40 Million? No, I do not think so lol, source?

reasons to stick with vista:

• you have old hardware that will never work on windows 8

Except that the specs quoted originally are more than sufficient to run Windows 8.

I have a core2duo with 2GB ram and some intel onboard graphics and it ran Windows 7 fine. It also runs Windows 8 with no hassle at all.

Just for fun I installed Vista SP2 in VMWare,

I set everything identically network wise for Vista as I have for every other OS I install there

Every other OS has no issues with the net once I reach the desktop (Linux > Windows )

Vista however

Untitled.jpg

If you have dealt with Vista for three years, then, given your specs, run, don't walk, to the nearest Windows 8 upgrade.

I agree. 8 will probably run better on 2GB than Vista IMO. At very least go to 7.

Just for fun I installed Vista SP2 in VMWare,

I set everything identically network wise for Vista as I have for every other OS I install there

Every other OS has no issues with the net once I reach the desktop (Linux > Windows )

Vista however

Untitled.jpg

Burns my eyes that does, and brings back horrible, horrible memories, nightmares in fact.

Did it even work in NAT mode?

Just changed that to NAT and I have a connection :) , never had to do that before, so something was changed in Vista networking somewhere ?

Erm, yea I do and I don't need a website to explain it...... :/

Obviously you didn't until you fumbled your way to that site, or you wouldn't have quoted me as you did earlier.... fail

My old Acer Aspire gemstone laptop

Windows XP ---> Vista ----> 7 ----> Now Windows 8 Pro

Although no specific driver for Windows 8, it works wonderfully with windows 7 driver and is blazing fast compared to vista and 7...thanks to Windows Store, this laptop is still capable of getting cool apps and games every day

My old Acer Aspire gemstone laptop

Windows XP ---> Vista ----> 7 ----> Now Windows 8 Pro

Although no specific driver for Windows 8, it works wonderfully with windows 7 driver and is blazing fast compared to vista and 7...thanks to Windows Store, this laptop is still capable of getting cool apps and games every day

Similar story with my laptop

Vista Basic with Ultimate crapware > 7 Pre release > 7 > 8

Laptop was crippled with Vista, every update since then has been fine

Licenses =\= people using it right now. You're a fool if you believe 40 million people are using Windows 8 right now.

As for the question, it's a hard one. You're basically trying to select between 2 abominations, I would probably go 8 just for the fact you can hack it to make it a bit better.

Just changed that to NAT and I have a connection :) , never had to do that before, so something was changed in Vista networking somewhere ?

Some Hypervisors require that, as the virtual adapter might not be entirely compatible with vista or xp. Does Vmware workstation let you install a "legacy network adapter"??? that might help with the bridged networking.

NAT sometimes overcomes those issues.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

2 GB of RAM

Well my friend I have a Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4 GHz) and upgrading to Windows 7 was blazing fast! Imagine you going to 8 which is slightly faster.

BTW, if you don't like the UI, just throw it a Start Menu hack and you're done.

Licenses =\= people using it right now. You're a fool if you believe 40 million people are using Windows 8 right now.

A Windows license is only sold when that computer with Windows 8 is activated. OEMs don't buy a bunch of licenses and hope to sell them one day,it doesn't work like that. When the computer is activated by the customer for the first time, that's when the license is sold and the OEM pays Microsoft.

And the only way bulk orders are counted is enterprise volume orders. So if people want to use that excuse, then it completely contradicts what they were saying about enterprise not wanting anything to do with windows 8.

But keep reading meaningless stats from some research groups that use some web hits or some other obscure method to calculate users, instead of using readily available real hard facts, and staying in denial.

Some Hypervisors require that, as the virtual adapter might not be entirely compatible with vista or xp. Does Vmware workstation let you install a "legacy network adapter"??? that might help with the bridged networking.

NAT sometimes overcomes those issues.

I`ll check properly tomorrow, right now I'm waiting for my pizza to cook and hoping I don't fall asleep with the oven on

Do me a favour and give me a Cat Slap to wake me up ;)