Photo

I have Windows Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:33

Yes do it!
You'll see a huge improvement.

A backup is never a bad idea, even if you're doing the upgrade install. Things can go wrong. Personally, I prefer a clean install regardless.

This. Do a backup and do a clean install, much better.

#17 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:08

I've installed Win8 on an HP DV6609 with Athlon 64 X2 @ 1.8GHz, 2GB ram and it runs fine.
You might have to hunt down Vista or Win7 drivers though, depending on the hardware.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:11

Vista was a decent OS

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#19 DonnieJim

DonnieJim

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:39

Just remember, if you upgrade to 8, I believe it is only for 32 bit OS and not 64 bit. ( talking about downloading, not buying retail). Also, you can always install classic shell if you don't like the windows 8 UI

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:42

Just remember, if you upgrade to 8, I believe it is only for 32 bit OS and not 64 bit. ( talking about downloading, not buying retail).

Huh? Mine's 64.

#21 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:48

Just remember, if you upgrade to 8, I believe it is only for 32 bit OS and not 64 bit. ( talking about downloading, not buying retail). Also, you can always install classic shell if you don't like the windows 8 UI

lol wut? :/

#22 DonnieJim

DonnieJim

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:48

This is what I meant:
"Upgrade Advisor only provides you with the same platform type (32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64) as the system you’re currently using. So if you have a 32-bit version of Windows, and you use Upgrade Advisor to perform an upgrade or clean install, the resulting Windows 8 Pro OS you get will be 32-bit. (Ditto for those who start with a 64-bit version of Windows: You will get Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.)"

#23 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:49

If you use the online upgrade assistant it'll only download like for like, so it'll only download 32bit if you're using a 32bit system.
Trick if you want to go from 32 bit to 64 is to either use a mates 64 bit machine to download the upgrade or purchase the backup upgrade disc.

Edit: to slow, beaten to it.

#24 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:50

Ohhhh, gotcha :)

#25 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:27

Ok, I was just about ready to do the upgrade, but the Upgrade Assistant came up with over 30 programs on my computer that won't run on Windows 8 and I'll be forced to buy upgraded versions, such as Office XP, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Ulead VideoStudio SE, etc... I thought people hated Vista because of its Compatibility issues. So, why do people like Win 8 better if its compatibility is worse? I have tons of old programs in Vista that run just fine and now I find out they won't work in Win 8. I don't understand the hype for Win 8 if it won't run older programs and its compatibility is worse than Vista's.

#26 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:38

Ok, I was just about ready to do the upgrade, but the Upgrade Assistant came up with over 30 programs on my computer that won't run on Windows 8 and I'll be forced to buy upgraded versions, such as Office XP, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Ulead VideoStudio SE, etc... I thought people hated Vista because of its Compatibility issues. So, why do people like Win 8 better if its compatibility is worse? I have tons of old programs in Vista that run just fine and now I find out they won't work in Win 8. I don't understand the hype for Win 8 if it won't run older programs and its compatibility is worse than Vista's.

I suspect that a lot of those "compatibility issues" are simply due to the fact that support is expired on those products. It doesn't mean that those products are known to not work - rather, no one's bothered to check and document that they do work, since they're obsolete. If they run in Vista, they're likely to run in 7 and 8. Windows is like that.

If you can't live with the possibility of having to upgrade old software, then stick with Vista.

#27 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:48

I'll upgrade my laptop (which is also Vista) and leave my desktop alone. I don't have many softwares on my laptop since I mainly just use it for internet when I'm away. So, it won't hurt to install there

#28 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:17

The reasons to upgrade to Windows 8:
  • enhanced task manager
  • more informative file transfer dialog
  • More intuitive task bar
  • comes with the latest updates
  • comes with client hyper-v, a powerful hypervisor previously only in windows server releases
  • window colors change with the BG when enabled

reasons to stick with vista:
  • you have old hardware that will never work on windows 8
  • you really wanna cling to the start menu

#29 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:20

I'd definately upgrade... to Windows 7 - you can get XP Mode (free) if you need it too!

#30 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:51

Well I know Windows 7 runs super fast and performs awesome on a core 2 duo with 2 megs of ram, with earo and everything enabled.
And supposedly Windows 8 uses less resources than Windows 7, at least that's what people try to say, so I guess pick one of them 2.
Personally I can`t believe that you have Vista on specs like that, I`m amazed it even starts up, lol.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!