Photo

I have Windows Vista. Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:05

As for compatibility, ive never had a program yet that cant run on win 8.
Granted a few I have had to right click and set to compatibility mode for 7/vista but apart from that everything runs just fine!

If you are using old versions of software, then that's a different matter.
What is office xp? Im guessing its a 10 year old version of Microsoft office? If yes then that may not work, because it predates your OS by 10 years. then again, I've had no issues here and not heard of much.

#32 Raphaël

Raphaël

You can't take the code from me

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 630

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:16

Well I know Windows 7 runs super fast and performs awesome on a core 2 duo with 2 megs of ram, with earo and everything enabled.
And supposedly Windows 8 uses less resources than Windows 7, at least that's what people try to say, so I guess pick one of them 2.
Personally I can`t believe that you have Vista on specs like that, I`m amazed it even starts up, lol.

I'm running Windows 8 on a computer with his specs (Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM). It flies! :) I recommend the upgrade too. At first I was sceptical about the start screen but after trying it, I loved it and I don't see me going back to anything else.

#33 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:40

I have Vista since it came with my computer 3 years ago. I hate it because it's pretty slow and does have problems occasionally. Is it recommended that I take advantage of this offer and upgrade to Windows 8?

Don't do it. Windows 8 is worse than Vista!

I'd recommend a Windows 7 upgrade instead.

#34 ARTMC

ARTMC

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:10

I upgraded to Windows 8. Fortunately, I backed up my Vista system before downloading Windows 8.

I'm glad I did. Windows 8 loaded faster, ran faster and after downloading a new MS office it worked pretty well.

Then I tried to load two games I liked (FreeCell and Hearts). I downloaded the free versions from the store and they sucked. Microsoft is trying to be Apple in this regard and they aren't close.

I never had problems with my Vista system and I only changed to Windows 8 to try it out.

After a week, I decided it was more trouble than It was worth for the price of speed.

I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop computer and I enjoy it much better than Windows 8.

If you are going to make the jump, make sure you can reload Vista. Also, if you are using an old version of MS Office, it won't run on Windows 8. You can download a Beta version of Office currently.

Good Luck

#35 KevinN206

KevinN206

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:38

Don't do it. Windows 8 is worse than Vista!

I'd recommend a Windows 7 upgrade instead.

I would recommend Windows 8 and if the Start Screen is a problem, then install a start menu replacement such as StartIsBack (http://www.startisback.com/). I think it's a win-win situation for the OP since it's Vista. Plus, the multi-monitor support is much, much better on Windows 8.

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, at least on my laptop. Of course, if you the OP likes the Aero transparency, then stick with Windows 7.

#36 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:09

Do It. Do It. Do It. Do It. Do It.

#37 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 13:57

I did the upgrade on my laptop last night. The only issue I had was that the scrolling function on the laptop's touchpad doesn't work anymore. I have to scroll manually by either using the keyboard or dragging the scroll up and down on the browser. Office XP (aka Office 2002) installed successfully and worked just fine. I know, I need to update badly but I'm such a cheapskate since I think Microsoft products are just ridiculously overpriced. That is why I waited until now to upgrade my OS. Considering Microsoft's prices, $40 is such a steal. Unfortunately, I can't play DVDs right now. Microsoft is offerring a free Windows Media Center for us people that took advantage of this $40 upgrade, but my free product key will not be email until 24-72 hours, so I need to wait a few days for that to come.

I haven't tried Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 yet since I mainly use it on my main desktop computer, not my laptop. I may, or may not, test it. I'll see what mood I'm in later. But overall, Windows 8 is A LOT faster than Vista. It feels like I just bought a new computer. It flies! I'm very happy with the purchase. It is VERY confusing at first since it's completely different than 7 or Vista, but I'll get the hang of it. Once I use it for a while and test it out for some time and like it, I may install it on my desktop computer too. Microsoft allows each copy to be installed to up to 5 computers, which is great since I only have 2.

#38 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:09

Your DVD playback really isn't an issue, just install an application like VLC, and you'll be set, it's far superior to Windows Media Player anyway.

#39 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:26

I did the upgrade on my laptop last night. The only issue I had was that the scrolling function on the laptop's touchpad doesn't work anymore. I have to scroll manually by either using the keyboard or dragging the scroll up and down on the browser. Office XP (aka Office 2002) installed successfully and worked just fine. I know, I need to update badly but I'm such a cheapskate since I think Microsoft products are just ridiculously overpriced. That is why I waited until now to upgrade my OS. Considering Microsoft's prices, $40 is such a steal. Unfortunately, I can't play DVDs right now. Microsoft is offerring a free Windows Media Center for us people that took advantage of this $40 upgrade, but my free product key will not be email until 24-72 hours, so I need to wait a few days for that to come.

I haven't tried Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 yet since I mainly use it on my main desktop computer, not my laptop. I may, or may not, test it. I'll see what mood I'm in later. But overall, Windows 8 is A LOT faster than Vista. It feels like I just bought a new computer. It flies! I'm very happy with the purchase. It is VERY confusing at first since it's completely different than 7 or Vista, but I'll get the hang of it. Once I use it for a while and test it out for some time and like it, I may install it on my desktop computer too. Microsoft allows each copy to be installed to up to 5 computers, which is great since I only have 2.

Did you install the touchpad drivers? Scrolling should work if they are installed

#40 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:48

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What is so funny? I missed the joke.

#41 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:04

Did you install the touchpad drivers? Scrolling should work if they are installed

I assume it automatically installed during the upgrade??

I use a Dell Inspiron 1318 laptop and you can download the driver on Dell's site and reinstall it. I notice on the site, it only says it's compatible with Vista and XP, but says nothing about its compatibility with Win 7 or 8. I can try downloading it tonight and installing it on Win 8 and see if it works.

#42 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:13

I assume it automatically installed during the upgrade??

I use a Dell Inspiron 1318 laptop and you can download the driver on Dell's site and reinstall it. I notice on the site, it only says it's compatible with Vista and XP, but says nothing about its compatibility with Win 7 or 8. I can try downloading it tonight and installing it on Win 8 and see if it works.

No, touchpad drivers and special buttons drivers etc, well, infact all drivers really, should always be installed after windows direct from the manufacturers site

#43 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:59

A backup is never a bad idea, even if you're doing the upgrade install. Things can go wrong. Personally, I prefer a clean install regardless.

The upgrade was basically a clean install. The only difference is that it saved my personal documents and remembered my settings. Other than that, I have to reinstall all my softwares.

#44 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 00:57

No, touchpad drivers and special buttons drivers etc, well, infact all drivers really, should always be installed after windows direct from the manufacturers site

I downloaded it from Dell's website and it crippled my touchpad. So, I plugged in a USB mouse and uninstalled the software and it uncrippled it. I then tore my house apart to look for my Driver CDs that came with my laptop three years ago. I found it, installed it from the CD and lo and behold, touchpad now works!!!

Odd that the one on Dell's site didn't work. I notice the one on Dell's site is a newer version, so maybe my touchpad needed the older version. Weird.

#45 shoemakerpom2010

shoemakerpom2010

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:02

I would say upgrade any machine with vista to 8 and you won't regret it. Forget what other people who refuse to try something new say. Its faster and has new technology that vista won't ever have.