• Intel Core i5-750 CPU
  • 8 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • 1x SSD
  • 3x 7,200 RPM HDDs
  • 1x 5,400 RPM HDD
  • Webcam, mouse, keyboard
  • DVD writer
  • 3x external HDDs (but they're also connected to the mains)

The reason I ask if I am stressing the PSU is that since I installed the third 7,200 RPM HDD, every now and again (probably 5 times a day), my mouse disconnects (Windows plays Device Disconnect sound) and reconnects a second or two later (Windows plays Device Connect sound).

It could be a co-incidence. However, I am wanting to install a fourth 7,200 RPM HDD soon and I want to make sure I'm not already stressing the PSU as it is.

That doesn't sound like a PSU problem if it was when you game your PC would crash, try playing a really intensive game if it crashes then you know it's your PSU.

HDDs use around 20w card 150-200w

That doesn't sound like a PSU problem if it was when you game your PC would crash, try playing a really intensive game if it crashes then you know it's your PSU.

True - this does not happen.

To get an idea of headroom left on your PSU, enter your hardware here

http://www.extreme.o...culatorlite.jsp

It says around 45-50w - weird.

Anyway, I just noticed that when my mouse disconnects and reconnects, my external hard drives kick into action also. I think my motherboard is shot.

It says around 45-50w - weird.

Anyway, I just noticed that when my mouse disconnects and reconnects, my external hard drives kick into action also. I think my motherboard is shot.

Entering your OP hardware into that calculator, I get 431w

Entering your OP hardware into that calculator, I get 431w

Strange, it's not what I got.

Oh well, either way, it seems my 500W will do :)

Cheers for the help!

Cheers for the help!

:) Would be nice if all that hardware only took 45-50w, your CPU alone sucks up more than double that !

500w output is it's PEAK output, no PSU should run at PEAK, in fact, they won't run at PEAK continiously.

Plus you've got to account for plus/minus 10% and you shouldn't be running a PSU at more than 90% or 95% capacity of this AT MOST.

10% off 500w = 450w, so if you're using 431w I would strongly recommend getting a more powerful PSU - or plug the internal drives into a seperate much smaller PSU.

500w output is it's PEAK output, no PSU should run at PEAK, in fact, they won't run at PEAK continiously.

Plus you've got to account for plus/minus 10% and you shouldn't be running a PSU at more than 90% or 95% capacity of this AT MOST.

10% off 500w = 450w, so if you're using 431w I would strongly recommend getting a more powerful PSU - or plug the internal drives into a seperate much smaller PSU.

Nah, this will be fine.

Cheers for the help!

PSU lose efficiency over time. Your PSU is probably not even able to provide 500W peak if it is old. At 431W load you are really border line if the PSU is cheap and old.