Photo

Could we have a Cooking/Recipe section ... ?

request

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Add Cooking Section ... ? (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like one ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:23

If Neowin just evolved without any planning from the staff they are damn lucky and probably unique on the Internet.

What staff? It was two guys. Http://web.archive.org/web/20010309023849/http://www.neowin.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

#62 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 13:26

Hey guys how do I Beef Wellington?

I don't do a beef but I make a chicken that is one of the fam favorites.. Next time I will take a picture of the outcome and post in the food section if we get it.

#63 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 January 2013 - 14:11

to those saying that Neowin isnt a tech site anymore - or has gone away from the tech stuff - i'll say this:

i agree with you, BUT, Neowin, today, is a nerd community. i wouldnt visit this site every day if it was just a tech forum. i cant handle tech talk day-after-day. i want to see what people around the world have to say about <whatever> topic.

Also, Amazon started by only selling books and look where it is today :p

#64 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 22:24

to those saying that Neowin isnt a tech site anymore - or has gone away from the tech stuff - i'll say this: i agree with you, BUT, Neowin, today, is a nerd community. i wouldnt visit this site every day if it was just a tech forum. i cant handle tech talk day-after-day. i want to see what people around the world have to say about topic. Also, Amazon started by only selling books and look where it is today :p

Excellent example, because it also shows that you can be far more than what you were originally concepted to be and look at Amazon: they are still awesome at doing books. (Y)

Glassed Silver:win

#65 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 79

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:33

We have a forum for these types of posts already http://www.neowin.ne...e-hobby-corner/

#66 psreloaded

psreloaded

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:06

Sounds like a good idea. I voted for it.

#67 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:29

Good idea. The vast range of people on here should come up with some decent ideas for something new for any ones tastes!

#68 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 03 January 2013 - 14:36

We have a forum for these types of posts already http://www.neowin.ne...e-hobby-corner/

Boooooooooooooooo!

#69 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 15:59

I would have to agree with Neobond. Cooking can be a hobby.

We could make a yearly thread and pin it.

#70 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:05

^ Yeah -- ask any housewife. :laugh:

#71 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:06

Voted yes. I could use some cooking advice. :D

#72 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:15

I have made an official cooking and recipe thread here.

#73 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:19

I have made an official cooking and recipe thread here.

Ok, then you better Delete mine. :p

#74 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:12

As there seems to be some interest in this thread, this will be the official Cooking and Recipe thread for 2013. Please feel free to post any recipes you may have or cooking creations that you want to share with the rest of Neowin.

Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.

Enjoy!

I hope it's not obligatory to post recipes in here instead of creating your own threads from now on.
One benefit of having one thread per recipe would be that you can discuss the recipe, share experiences, say thank you and tell when and why you cooked a suggested meal, etc without cluttering up the flow of other recipes and their responses.

imho, that would be a missed opportunity and whilst the feedback per recipe might not be whopping... (damn, I'm hungry for a whopper now... damnit) it's surely a very welcome benefit to anyone who seriously puts some effort into their creations and wants actual feedback instead of simple likes on a post in a thread that likely only the first and last pages are really read of after a while... Way to burry your attention by participating here if you're really into sharing the recipe. :p

Here's where a sub-forum with dedicated threads really can shine:
It could be way easier to submit recipes in dedicated threads because the title would be helpful to skim the ones that might be interesting and it'd take less time to decide on one.
We could have prefixes like "vegetarian", "meat", "vegan", nationality of recipe, etc...
The tags could include the major ingredients which are always a great quick help in finding what you need.
Also, it'd be easier to find similar recipes based on tags or a better forum search letting you search in title only and avoid irrelevant mentions of other dishes that only get mentioned.

Not to sound like an ***, but there has NOT been explicitly stated demand for this thread, but for a sub-forum.
As you can see, if others who wanted to see a dedicated thread see some of those advantages apply to themselves, too, there's a big difference and they might not want this thread - maybe explicitly be against it.

I hope I do sound constructive enough, I'm a little in bad mood today so I hope my points are being taken and any subtle or not so subtle notion of a**holery is being kindly ignored. ^___^
Thanks in advance for that.

Glassed Silver:mac

#75 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:26

Snipped

Moved this here from the thread.

I think this is a good way to test the waters on the demand for it's own subforum.