Guys need some advise,please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AmUnderage

AmUnderage

Neowinian

• Phone: 999

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:13

I have win8 for the past 2 monthes and i really love,had startisback on desk top but now there is no need for as i think once you get your head around win8,you don't need a start button.
Anyway back to the help :) I brought the upgrade to win8 from win7,i want to upgrade my Pc,motherboard,CPU,do i need to reinstall? Will reinstall work as i only have the upgrade? Do i need to install win7 first?

thanks guys

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:19

Such a big hardware change will need a reinstall of windows yes

I'd install 7 first, there should be a way to do a clean install without upgrading first but the last person I showed how to do it said it didn't work (MediaBootInstall = 0)

15 mins to install 7, then choose wipe during the 8 upgrade will = perfect clean install and no issues activating

#3 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:20

the proper path to use when using your upgrade key, you must install windows 7 first and then upgrade to 8

#4 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:33

i just keep around a very basic windows 7 image, that I blast on a drive I want to install windows 8 that I have a key for. I then restore the image to the drive (doesn't actually work on that computer) but it makes windows 8 happy enough to do a clean install with an upgrade key.

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:34

here is what I would do

1) Run the upgrade assistant on your existing setup with windows 7 and buy the key and download the ISO
2) Upgrade all of your hardware
3) keep the windows 7 install that you had on the drive before. if you want to upgrade to windows 8, windows 8 doesn't care if the Windows 7 install works or not, it just has to be on the drive.

I think he already has 8 installed

#6 thegnarlypanda

thegnarlypanda

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:37

When I had Windows 7 I moved from an AMD processor and motherboard to Intel and just followed these steps: http://scottiestech....alling-your-os/

Didn't need to reinstall Windows, just had to reactivate it.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!