Photo

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Slipdisc210

Slipdisc210

Neowinian Metallurgist

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:48

Most systems don't post unless there is a video card running.

Wrong, most will indeed post with ot without a vid card. Just guessing or wanting something to be true wont make it happen.

#47 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:19

Check digikey, match up the farad rating and be sure that it's voltage rating is equal or higher and,if possible, look for a low ESR one. The spacing looks cramped so be sure to check the data sheet to be sure it'll fit in the existing footprint.

Pretty much this - this is true for all capacitors. As a matter of fact - the voltage rating doesn't really have a maximum. Although in my experience, the higher the voltage, the bigger the cap - so this does matter within reason :laugh:

#48 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

Neowinian

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:52

That's normal with old PCs; best to get a new one ;)

My vista laptop sucks as well :/ mehh thats why i use the ipad more :p

#49 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:09

Pretty much this - this is true for all capacitors. As a matter of fact - the voltage rating doesn't really have a maximum. Although in my experience, the higher the voltage, the bigger the cap - so this does matter within reason :laugh:

just like inductors, the max voltage/amperage isn't exact. The component may work at 50v even though it's rated at 35v but the lifespan will suffer.

Just be glad the faulty component just had two leads. I had to swap out an 8-SIP package once, not fun.

That's normal with old PCs; best to get a new one ;)

My vista laptop sucks as well :/ mehh thats why i use the ipad more :p

Cheap electrolytic caps tend to fail. If you know what you're doing, 30cents and 15 seconds, you're back on business.

#50 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:56

just like inductors, the max voltage/amperage isn't exact. The component may work at 50v even though it's rated at 35v but the lifespan will suffer.

Oh, fair enough! The more you know. Cheers!

#51 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:46

Wrong, most will indeed post with ot without a vid card. Just guessing or wanting something to be true wont make it happen.

Nope, not most. And the ones that do typically are servers. I could go grab a dell off a shelf right now, pull the card, and it won't post. Unless the machine has onboard graphics you're going to have issues getting it to post.

#52 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:14

There might be an upset in RAM or RAM slot. Replace the RAM in another slot and try.

Tried that.

As I said earlier in the topic, the system only booted normally when the video card was removed, so it's most likely the culprit - especially considering the two popped capacitors :)

#53 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18

Replaced the capacitors, didn't work. The fans did function normally now, but still no display.

Bought a new AMD Radeon HD5450 PCI Express card, still constantly spinning fans.

I have unplugged everything from the system apart from the PSU, and the fans only stop spinning when the PCI Express port is empty.

I could try a second-hand PCI (non Express) card from eBay, but I don't know if I can be bothered.

#54 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:54

i guess that's a sign that's it not worth it and it's time to upgrade

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!