Windows 8 Falls Behind Even the Maligned Vista

Yeah, but they didn't say how many of those Vista were pirated?

http://www.legitrevi...com/news/14779/

According to Net Applications, Windows 8's online presence has actually fallen to below that of Vista's at the same length of time after release, just two months on the market. On December 22, W8's usage share was sitting at 1.6% of all Windows PCs, up from 1.2% in November. However, in the same period, Vista was sitting at 2.2%, up from around 1% the month before. This is an abysmal result and compares very poorly with Windows 7's 6%+ share after the same two months on the market. It's possible that Christmas sales may redress this balance, but it seems unlikely.

only thing that's actually harder to get to is the shutdown, which anti 8 people keeps pulling up. which is funny since it's a function that's at MOST for the average person used once a day. and for the more techie users often never, and for the average user with a laptop, also never since they just close the lid. heck most of them are to dumb to check that the laptop has gone to sleep/shutdown before they put it in a bag.

Exactly, just press your power button or close your lid, you don't need to shut down.

The printer drivers already kept breaking at every newer Windows release. Windows 8 changed the whole printer driver model and forced all the retarded manufacturers to keep their useless custom print-screen panels out of the printer properties to avoid the drivers breaking at every Windows upgrade. Maybe the next Windows version will finally be the first where the previous printer drivers would still work. Now, if there was any non-business printer worth buying... 20 years of printers and all the consumer ones are still the same cheaply built 30$+ ink-gobbling pieces of trash.

rubbish comment aside (that's your opinion) I have not found anything that doesn't work in 8 that worked fine in 7. you can't even compare 8's driver situation (which there hardly is any) to Vista's

I agree. There is no comparison to Vista at all. If someone is having issue, then they should buy better hardware. I've never had Win8 crash on me.

While it may well be usable with a mouse and keyboard, it was designed for touch.

I don't see why that matters? If a mouse and keyboard works fine, then why care?

A lot of us felt that Windows 8 might start slowly. It's a huge change and your normal user hates change. If Microsoft stays the course they might begin to win people over eventually. Or maybe not.

I don't see why that matters? If a mouse and keyboard works fine, then why care?

I don't. Never said that I did care. I'm certainly fine with whatever personal preferences anyone has. I believe that it is infantile to repeatedly insist that "your"* way is the only right way.

*the generic "your"...

I'm hoping 8 is the same step for 9 that Vista was for 7

Without Vista, as much as I hate it, we wouldn't have 7, it was a painful but necessary step

I'm crossing everything that 8 is the same step for 9

Learn what not to do in the next OS by the mistakes made in the previous OS

I'm hoping 8 is the same step for 9 that Vista was for 7

Without Vista, as much as I hate it, we wouldn't have 7, it was a painful but necessary step

I'm crossing everything that 8 is the same step for 9

Learn what not to do in the next OS by the mistakes made in the previous OS

I hope you are right.

A lot of us felt that Windows 8 might start slowly. It's a huge change and your normal user hates change. If Microsoft stays the course they might begin to win people over eventually. Or maybe not.

Great applications will win users over, if they take advantage of the Modern UI, and are "fully" functional on par with the Win 32 equivalents for Windows 7.

Great applications will win users over, if they take advantage of the Modern UI, and are "fully" functional on par with the Win 32 equivalents for Windows 7.

Yes, the Modern UI has great promise. The Modern apps are terrible at the moment, though. In time I know the apps will get much better. I think you'll see more adoption of Windows 8 then.

on a desktop, think of "metro" as just the start screen, and just a launcher.

I think of it as Dashboard from OS X. Hit the win key, your layout and information for all your needs. It's like a widget layer to me. Hit the win key again and back to the desktop.

what about the power options ? for one I always go to power options by rigth clicking the battery icon, but I could also use the power menu by right clicking the lower left corner.

and if I was searching for it, I'll gladly sacrifice that oh so horrible single down arrow click to separate application searches from settings searches and files searches. it's a MUCH better system.

and no, the dumb user, in this case parent, doesn't expect anything.

"click the winkey and write remote, and click down arrow once"

"Oh I see this thing that says invite someone to help you"

"yeah click that".

I also prefer to open it by typing powercfg.cpl into the Start Menu on Windows 7 (I open the majority of the control panel by calling the control panel applet directly, but that's me).

The point is Microsoft has made search worse in the Start Screen when compared to Windows 7. They made a strong effort in 7 to make everything a lot easier to search for from a basic user perspective. They could type real language sentences to search for most things and Microsoft would turn that into an option for them. Since the user might not know if it is an application, setting, or file having it all show up on one screen was actually a better deal for them.

The search in the Start Screen should have been like Windows 7. Everything on the screen at once with logical grouping so users don't have to figure out what category they should be paying attention to. A lot like search on Windows 7... or the iPad...

Downloaded Windows 8. Used it for about a month and went back to 7. I just don't get the whole concept of 8 on a desktop or laptop that doesn't have touch capabilities. It doesn't add any useful experience for me. and it is rather a jarring experience to get dumped to the desktop when using certain appliations. I just don't get the whole concept of having the desktop at all. If you are going to commit to such a departure from tradition then follow through all the way.

I'm not against Windows 8 at all but to me it just feels incomplete.

• Like 2

Fujitsu Executive: PC makers? Bet On Windows 8 Has Failed http://dlvr.it/2jbH5w

Impossible. Dot Matrix has been evangelizing that Windows 8 is the best selling, well best in all categories really, OS in history. How can this be? I mean MS has sold 40 million licenses right Dot?? Surely, these OEMs and stores complaining about disappointing sales are all just confused on how to read their own charts.

• Like 2

The missus' ancient HP printer :p

Works ootb p'n'p with 7, absolutely nothing would get it working in 8, installing drivers in compatibility mode, everything I could think of, eventually had to install 7 in VMWare and print from that :laugh:

Oh? How does it connect to the computer, and is it an all-in-one?

All-in-ones (from HP or anyone else) I generally despise on principle.

I have a standard HP Deskjet 940C that dates back to Windows XP (in fact, it predates Service Pack 2) that has worked with every flavor of Windows (in fact, every OS with the exception of Android) since. (That includes Windows 8 BTW.)

If you are relying on drivers from HP, don't - unless you need particular support for a specific feature, the generic Windows printer drivers are FAR better behaved - regardless of model OR brand of printer. (Not picking on HP, as i have recommended HP inkjet printers since 2006.)

I've read that PC sales fell 21% last quarter. The main reason is mobile and Android and iOS rules (so far) in that arena. So, as most PC makers were hoping that Windows 8 would revive PC sales, Windows 8 has been a failure so far.

You know, I find the idea that it's your opinion and you ought not be flame roasted for it an absurdity.

If you say something moronic, you deserve the ire and outrage of the community; How else will you learn?

Darwin would be rolling in his grave reading this thread >.>

Windows 8 is rubbish and so are the drivers for it. I don't need any flaming it just my opinion.

Can you offer anything to substantiate your opinion?

If you have, pardon me, I may have missed it.

Impossible. Dot Matrix has been evangelizing that Windows 8 is the best selling, well best in all categories really, OS in history. How can this be? I mean MS has sold 40 million licenses right Dot?? Surely, these OEMs and stores complaining about disappointing sales are all just confused on how to read their own charts.

You got me. Didn't even know Fujitsu made PC's. What does that tell you? Sounds to me like their marketing dept. has some work to do.