windows 8 vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#211 vf-

vf-

Patience, Lewis. We're only human.

• 865 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:26

Vista was like a breath of fresh air, after XP became stank with security and stability issues.

XP had stability problems? since when... XP wasn't a hard drive grinder, or causing (Not responding...) explorer issues. As well as slow networking problems.

#212 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,685 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:42

XP had stability problems? since when... XP wasn't a hard drive grinder, or causing (Not responding...) explorer issues. As well as slow networking problems.

Graphics drivers were a pain to keep stable. I got blue screens left and right because of it's stability issues.

#213 vf-

vf-

Patience, Lewis. We're only human.

• 865 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:48

Vista wasn't so rosy either... http://www.hardwareh...ding-error.html

#214 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,013 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49

bull****. Between applications that use the desktop as the default save and applications that clutter up your desktop with far too many icons (the program itself, the updater, the 3rd party crapware updater), most users desktops are a complete mess of crap.

100% fiction. 99.9% of all installs allow the option of creating a desktop icon and start menu entry. If users want the icon on the desktop, it's not convoluted. It's exactly what they want, and the desktop default is to align icons to grid.

The "Start" Page is populated by start menu items which 100% of users you're talking about (fictional users with a desktop full of folder shortcuts and whatnot in your mock up) create by default which makes a messy start page. Install any app and every little start menu shortcut from the main app to any shortcuts to help files, settings, uninstall shortcuts and the like overpopulate the Start Page.

I really don't care either way, but please stick to reality to make your points. Neither one of you know what most users desktops look like. But without a doubt, the Start Page is a mess if you install Win32 apps. You will be cleaning it up often and there is no way for it to elegantly handle lots of tiles. Perhaps in Windows 9.

#215 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,932 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:50

I bought Vista two months after it's release, and never looked back to XP. I find it hard to believe people put up with XP for so long. Vista was like a breath of fresh air, after XP became stank with security and stability issues.

Vista was bogus, and hardware was crap.

Drivers malfunctioned and little support was given.

Very slow boot times, and hang ups.

And no, I'm not talking for someone else, but myself.

#216 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,685 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:56

100% fiction. 99.9% of all installs allow the option of creating a desktop icon and start menu entry. If users want the icon on the desktop, it's not convoluted. It's exactly what they want, and the desktop default is to align icons.

The "Start" Page is populated by start menu items which 100% of users you're talking about (fictional users with a desktop full of folder shortcuts and whatnot in your mock up) create by default which makes a messy start page. Install any app and every little start menu shortcut from the main app to any shortcuts to help files, settings, uninstall shortcuts and the like overpopulate the Start Page.

I really don't care either way, but please stick to reality to make your points.

I haven't had any trouble with junk cluttering my screen. Office 2013 gave me only the main icons, and so did VS2013. Not sure what archaic programs you're running, but the fact that they barf icons onto the screen isn't Microsoft's issue. Microsoft doesn't control any one third party app. If it wants to throw icons all over the OS, there's nothing they can do. The issue is with developers not caring. Microsoft tried to get them to stop with their clutter in Vista, but they kept going at it regardless. Windows 8 might finally give them the push to straighten their acts out.

#217 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• 3,932 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:59

100% fiction. 99.9% of all installs allow the option of creating a desktop icon and start menu entry. If users want the icon on the desktop, it's not convoluted. It's exactly what they want, and the desktop default is to align icons.

I really don't care either way, but please stick to reality to make your points.

http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.168

#218 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,350 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:05

Its amazing how many programs you need to get the same/similar functionality to W7.

#219 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 13,012 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:08

[Thread closed]

This topic has gone off from whatever it was supposed to be about into a flame-fest.