Windows 8 Falls Behind Even the Maligned Vista

Windows 8 is rubbish and so are the drivers for it. I don't need any flaming it just my opinion.

No flaming needed, more like educated.

Drivers are beyond fine, all my stuff works. Maybe you have old components that no longer have updated drivers for modern os's.

http://www.legitrevi...com/news/14779/

According to Net Applications, Windows 8's online presence has actually fallen to below that of Vista's at the same length of time after release, just two months on the market. On December 22, W8's usage share was sitting at 1.6% of all Windows PCs, up from 1.2% in November. However, in the same period, Vista was sitting at 2.2%, up from around 1% the month before. This is an abysmal result and compares very poorly with Windows 7's 6%+ share after the same two months on the market. It's possible that Christmas sales may redress this balance, but it seems unlikely.

Very deceptive numbers as it took a while before people realized how craptastic Vista was. I would be interested if the numbers for Win8 stay below that of Vista after 4-5-6 months.

Windows 8, IMO, is a failure on so many levels. It could have been a great experience but mixing the old with the new really places it at the bottom of the OS heap.

This video is still, again, IMO, is one of the best reasons of why Windows 8 is so horrible.

http://www.cultofmac...ems-ever-video/

This video makes me laugh so hard.

Windows 8 is UNUSABLE? Been using it fine since RTM, without a touchscreen.

Can't be productive? I installed Start 8, never use, go to, or load the Metro Start Screen, so I am left with a Windows, well, like WINDOWS 7.......how about that? Task bar is there, icons on desktop there, alt tab works, makes me productive day to day when I use my PC.

Can't be productive? I installed Start 8, never use, go to, or load the Metro Start Screen, so I am left with a Windows, well, like WINDOWS 7.......how about that? Task bar is there, icons on desktop there, alt tab works, makes me productive day to day when I use my PC.

Agreed, he does have SOME good points though. His presentation is also horrible, so hard to watch. But I do find it sad that we need to resort to third party apps to eliminate the frustrating things.

I said it before, I actually love Windows 8. But apparently nobody can even say one bad thing about the OS without being attacked.

• Like 1

Completely agree. It would have been so easy.

And guess what? Everybody would win if they did that. Don't like the new Start Screen? Go to Control Panel.....

I just do not know why some people here are SO against choices. Choices are good. You get to use the OS how you want, and if I restart a lot (which I do flipping from OS X to Windows 8) I have an option to skip the Start Screen probably 6 times a day.

I really like Windows 8. I have the start screen set up in a way that I find it perfectly usable and unobtrusive, along with a couple of genuinely useful "Metro" apps. The other improvements under the hood has made it worth the money, too.

Regarding booting to the desktop, for me, my starting workflow hasn't changed between previous Windows and Windows 8,

Previously, i would turn on the computer, log in, click the application I need/want. The same thing happens in Windows 8.

Through the years, that application has either been in the Quick Launch, or the Taskbar (Starting with Windows 7) Now it's in the start screen. In Windows 8, no matter if the application is Metro, or works from the Desktop, it's still one click to start the application I need/want. If it's a desktop application, I still click its shortcut, and it opens on the desktop anyway, with zero added interaction on my part. I'm still forced to customize the Start screen just like I was forced to pin the applications I want in the Start Menu, same as I'm required to manually pin the applications I want on the Taskbar.

When looking at these initial steps of using a computer, I find it's actually one less key press to start the day with Windows 8. Specifically, I need only press Enter to start the first application on the Start screen. In Windows 7, I would need to press Win+Number.

Regarding the Charms, it's a very deliberate motion to activate them. The mouse has to be all the way in the corner, then moved along the edge for at least a 1/5th of the way down/up. This is just to make them appear. Then the mouse has to be moved even further to reach the Charms themselves, then clicked to be used. Stories that it's easy to activate them accidentally are very difficult to believe.

That said, the HINTS for the Charms are another matter entirely. Those are easily activated, and once the user learns how to use the Charms, the hints for them quickly become an unnecessary nuisance. I would have liked an option to disable them.

Well it actually is faster, but besides that, maybe if you had actually tried the new start screen and bothered to learn it (takes a whole of 5 minutes if you're a slow learner, the regular dumb users get it right away when I demonstrate it) you would have seen the advantage in a faster and more effective and better organize launcher.

You are terribly rude reminding me of the old days of console wars. :D

Seeing the no. of posts you have in this thread, there is no point in having a discussion on the matter unless one pretends to like what you like. It's like me getting used to a car and then assume everyone is too dumb to understand that's the best car ever made.

Since the release date I have so far seen four computers with Windows 8.

The video ad campaigns are heinously off-targeted due to terrible corporate calls.

I've seen a Surface on NCIS

It need not be empty. I have shortcuts to all of my "programs" on the desktop. I have no need for little kiddie "apps". Oh boy, you can display 2 at a time! Big deal. I often display several windows on the desktop at once. I guess it depends on what you use you system for, but after a few weeks, I am going to revert to Windows 7 for the new year. It's like Microsoft built an OS for 2 types of users, the desktop/laptop folks and the tablet folks. I am simply tired of switching between the 2 environments.

I love Microsoft as a company, but for me, Windows 8 is a dud. If you are happy with it, more power to ya. To all the overly-defensive Windows 8 fans, we are all entitled to our own opinion. Try not to get your undies in a bunch. :)

So you have all your shortcuts in a mess on the desktop.

so instead of hitting the winkey to get an organize efficient layout of all your shortcuts, every time you want to start a new app, you have to use the show desktop shortcut, start your app, and then undo the show desktop. yeah that makes a LOT more sense....

I just do not know why some people here are SO against choices. Choices are good. You get to use the OS how you want, and if I restart a lot (which I do flipping from OS X to Windows 8) I have an option to skip the Start Screen probably 6 times a day.

I don't get it either. To me PCs have always been about customization, but now the mantra is if you don't like it you better GTFO. There are even Windows 8 zealots on this site that have said they hope Microsoft releases an update for Windows 8 that prevents programs like Start8 from working at all.

You are terribly rude reminding me of the old days of console wars. :D

Seeing the no. of posts you have in this thread, there is no point in having a discussion on the matter unless one pretends to like what you like. It's like me getting used to a car and then assume everyone is too dumb to understand that's the best car ever made.

i.e.

I have no argument, so I'll just ignore you.

As a Windows 8 user, I must say that the additions to the OS are confusing and without structure. The push toward metro apps for everything just seems crazy. I spent a while searching the Windows Store today (not easy) and feel like I am using something designed for a phone.

As a quick example, I have a stopwatch application that i have used since XP. The app has a start and stop and sits quietly on the taskbar showing me how long something has been running, I use it when I put dinner in the oven or am timing a new piece of hardware.

The Windows store gave me lots of stop watches but most were Metro apps and wanted to take over my whole screen - Why???

I just want an app that i can click and put on my taskbar - why does everything have to take over my 23 inch screen and give me the most basic of options. Why cant I click on an item in the store, and then click back to search again, why do I have to re-open the search charm and select the windows store as my search item???

OK Im calm again now.

So unusable that you had to install a 3rd party hack to get back to using the startmenu? So you really are not using Windows 8 so much as an Windows machine that has been hacked........logical

Microsoft is practically giving Win8 away for nothing and still, it's not a huge seller. You can blame Tablet (Android, iOS), or the poor distribution of MS Surface.

The fact remains that Win8 is not selling as fast as Win7 was, even at a low price. And I've yet to see MANY Touch enabled laptop, monitors, ... It seems like the hardware is not there to support Win8 fully.

To each their own. Some people in this forum are just incredible at forcing things down someone else throats.

So unusable that you had to install a 3rd party hack to get back to using the startmenu? So you really are not using Windows 8 so much as an Windows machine that has been hacked........logical

windows has ALWAYS been about customization, how is installing Start8 in Windows 8 to installing say RocketDock or ObjectDock in 7 and below and hiding the taskbar any different

your complaint has no merit

As a Windows 8 user, I must say that the additions to the OS are confusing and without structure. The push toward metro apps for everything just seems crazy. I spent a while searching the Windows Store today (not easy) and feel like I am using something designed for a phone.

As a quick example, I have a stopwatch application that i have used since XP. The app has a start and stop and sits quietly on the taskbar showing me how long something has been running, I use it when I put dinner in the oven or am timing a new piece of hardware.

The Windows store gave me lots of stop watches but most were Metro apps and wanted to take over my whole screen - Why???

I just want an app that i can click and put on my taskbar - why does everything have to take over my 23 inch screen and give me the most basic of options. Why cant I click on an item in the store, and then click back to search again, why do I have to re-open the search charm and select the windows store as my search item???

OK Im calm again now.

The apps should be able to run in the background. I don't know if the ones that you tried do, but they should. If they do need to run at full screen, then yes, for something like a stopwatch, that is pretty silly.

Also, for the store, doesn't clicking "Back" take you back to the search results? It should, and does so for me. I do not have to start another search.

The apps should be able to run in the background. I don't know if the ones that you tried do, but they should. If they do need to run at full screen, then yes, for something like a stopwatch, that is pretty silly.

Also, for the store, doesn't clicking "Back" take you back to the search results? It should, and does so for me. I do not have to start another search.

It does take me back but the search pane is gone so I have to go bring it all up again and let it know I want to search the store and not the default files. Ideally there should just be a search box at the top of the store.

I can totally see the point of apps, on a phone or tablet they are great, but on a big monitor, with lots of space to multitask, its just limiting me.

windows has ALWAYS been about customization, how is installing Start8 in Windows 8 to installing say RocketDock or ObjectDock in 7 and below and hiding the taskbar any different

your complaint has no merit

on the contrary. Customizing Windows is one thing.. to enhance or whatever you want to do. What YOU did is hack Windows 8 to be more like Windows 7. How many people that you know hack their Windows 7 to look more like Windows XP? If you have to add something to make it look like last years version..then why not just stick with last years version? The whole point of Windows 8 is lost on you because you want it to function more like Windows 7. You are NOT customizing..you're reverting. Big difference.

I'm all for Windows 8 on touch screens. It makes sense. (except for the abomination when it dumps you onto the desktop) but for non touch devices? Bleh.

I spent a while searching the Windows Store today (not easy) and feel like I am using something designed for a phone.

How is it not easy? Just start typing, and Search automatically opens.