6 posts in this topic

Posted

Of all the things that happened this year, one of the most important innovations is one you probably didn't know about. A fifteen-year-old boy named Jack Andraka has developed a cheap, easy and highly accurate paper sensor for the early detection of pancreatic cancer, and in May, he won the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in the medical and health sciences category, earning a $75,000 prize.

If you live in America, chances are you've lost at least one relative or friend to the disease, because it's one of the most common (and most lethal) forms of cancer. (I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer a few years ago.)

Jack explains:

So, what I did; is create this paper sensor and it basically has single wall carbon nanotubes which are atom thick tubes of carbon mixed with anti-bodies to this one cancer bio-marker called mesothelin. An anti-body is basically a molecule that binds specifically to one other molecule. So, what happens is; when I compared it, to the current gold standard of protein detection called called ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay), it was actually 168 times faster, over 26,000 times less expensive and over 400 times more sensitive. And what I found is that my sensor in a blind study it actually had a 100% correct diagnosis, in diagnosing pancreatic cancer and could diagnose the cancer before it actually became invasive.

I did not expect for it to be this good at detecting pancreatic cancer, anti-bodies and stuff so

Posted

Incredible.

I am incredibly excited, it

Posted

Can you say straight lines to a full-shot scholarship & a PhD?

Jeezzzz....

Posted

I wish I had super smart powers in my family. Can they invent a way to make everyone else as smart as them too?

Posted

PhD, please give him a proper rank now.... impressive kid.