Photo

How do I determine what ssd is compatible with my MBP?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 December 2012 - 18:40

830 is MLC 840 is TLC, TLC memory wears faster... MLC is better for wear... TLC is a cheaper memory that crams more bits into a cell

So the samsung 830 256gb is a great drive if I am willing to spend a bit more. The crucial m4 256gb is a bit less expensive but also a great drive...I just have to update the firmware when I get it to make sure that it works as it should.

I am thinking the crucial m4 is a great investment that should give me another year or two on my mbp.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 December 2012 - 18:45

yes, but my point still stands, Apple still disabled the feature on non-apple devices... still stupid

true, but it's still not hard to force re-enable TRIM

#18 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 December 2012 - 19:26

I think that most 2.5" sata SSDs will work. Let me also say that the boost in performance will be substantial. I upgraded my mid-2009 mbp to an 80GB Intel SSD a little over a year ago and it still feels like a new snappy computer. Even compared to my wife's 2012 MBA.

Don't lose sleep over TRIM and I recommend not doing any hacks to support it. IMO its just as good without the TRIM support and drives are not going to self-destruct without it.

Also, I don't think you will get much more battery life when compared to the stock 4200rpm drive. You may even experience a small decrease in battery life. But it is hard for me to tell since Im running two drives (the Intel SSD and the stock 4200rpm drive).

#19 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 December 2012 - 20:22

I think that most 2.5" sata SSDs will work. Let me also say that the boost in performance will be substantial. I upgraded my mid-2009 mbp to an 80GB Intel SSD a little over a year ago and it still feels like a new snappy computer. Even compared to my wife's 2012 MBA.

Don't lose sleep over TRIM and I recommend not doing any hacks to support it. IMO its just as good without the TRIM support and drives are not going to self-destruct without it.

Also, I don't think you will get much more battery life when compared to the stock 4200rpm drive. You may even experience a small decrease in battery life. But it is hard for me to tell since Im running two drives (the Intel SSD and the stock 4200rpm drive).

I take it that by adding the 2nd drive you no longer have an optical drive? Do you find that there is any disadvantage to this setup?

#20 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:35

I take it that by adding the 2nd drive you no longer have an optical drive? Do you find that there is any disadvantage to this setup?

Not having an optical drive built in? Nope. Having 2 mass storage devices is way better. Nobody uses optical drives and if you really need one you can get an external one. I wouldn't recommend one of those super drive enclosure (for the one that comes out of the mbp). Those things don't work right... Get a proper USB optical drive if you need it.

#21 OP #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:58

Just picked up the cruical m4 256GB drive from Amazon for $179 with free 2 day shipping. It should be here on Friday.