C# The datepicker is missing for windows 8?

Question

What the heck? What genius thought this was a good idea? Does anyone know if they released like a toolkit with one in it or do I really have to create one myself? I just need a simple datepicker this is 2012 almost 2013 how can we not have this simple, yet needed control?

11 answers to this question

Seems to be that the date picker is missing from WinRT. As Xerax said, the common solution is Callisto (I lied, Callisto doesn't have a working datepicker yet). I can't find a working control on Google that's free, you might have to use a number picker with some date logic.

Does anyone know the logic behind why they didn't include a DatePicker control? Seems pretty retarded on the face of it to omit something as frequently used as a date picker.

Exactly, it's the not fact that I couldn't make one myself, its just why do I have to in 2012 (almost 2013)? That's like getting a car without a/c in the summer when buying a new car. I mean yeah, you could manage, but what idiot thought of not to include it? That person should be fired.

Hmm; this does seem like a very stupid idea...

If you have Expression Blend, you could add one quickly, otherwise looks like a 'find one online' or 'code your own' situation.

I'm going to create my own I guess as I can't seem to find a free one. I've never made a date picker control before but I'm assuming I'm going to piggyback off of the DateTime class to generate the UI unless someone has a better idea.

hm...the only thing I've realized at this point is I'm not sure how to tell which row the first of the month starts on. Like you can have up to 6 rows for each month. Not sure how to calculate which row the first of the month would start on. I've got everything else figured out. Google hopefully you'll be my friend...or the good people here at neowin :) I'm going to release this control for free once I'm done with it and post it everywhere so people can have a date time picker in their windows 8 apps.

I'm actually over thinking it I realized. I don't need to worry about the top row I just need to get what day of the week the first day falls on (which is easy to do). Back on track everyone. I'll post an upload link once I'm finished (I'm going to go eat dinner so it'll be a bit).

I created a basic date picker control and uploaded it to my server. If anyone has a better place in mind that I can upload to feel free to let me know. The download is at http://cloud.drslabscorp.com/cloudsvc/Win8MiscLib.pri and http://cloud.drslabscorp.com/cloudsvc/Win8MiscLib.winmd. Feel free to use them as you wish. I'll be updating the controls with more features/more controls as time goes along. I'll probably create a codeproject page for it and expand on it as time goes on. Let me know what you think! :)

Weird I just tried importing the files into another project and it says my xaml files are missing. Do I need my xaml files for Runtime libraries? Is there a way to bundle them into one file (ex. the winmd file)?