• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:18

Interesting ....

First of all, virtually every hard drive manufactured has bad sectors on it before it leaves the factory. A utility is run on the hard drive to find all the initial bad sectors and placed in a list. Every sector in the list is then remapped and saved to an area called the ‘Permanent Defect List’ or PList. It would be far too expensive to manufacturer a hard drive that every sector was perfect. The manufacturers take that into consideration so every drive that is made has a pool of sectors that is used only if a bad sector is found.

True. But by the time you start seeing bad sectors t's time to replace the drive.

#17 Jlobb2

Jlobb2

Neowinian

Posted 31 December 2012 - 23:39

I agree with warwagon. One or two I wouldnt worry about, any over 10-20 I would be concerned. Triple digits is imminent failure.

I also like to run chkdsk from the cmd prompt so I can see the status and results. Otherwise you have to search the event viewer Application log. Hard Disk Sentinel looks like a good utility.

To answer the OP's question, I would replace the hard drive asap. Why do you think your power supply is bad? Since your system is blue screening, it should be writing a memory dump. Try and analyze the dmp file with windows debugger.

#18 OP jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 09 January 2013 - 19:54

Update:
I took the system apart yesterday and blew out the dust.I also discovered that 3 of the SATA cables were cracked at the connection end! I have replaced them with 2 that I had on hand, going to order some more.