Wifi Troubles

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 30 December 2012 - 21:35

Only 3 doors up? I'd have already had Ethernet cable in the ground :)

#17 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 22:06

Only 3 doors up? I'd have already had Ethernet cable in the ground :)

its maybe only even 2 depending on how its counted
5-----7------9 -----11
^gran---------------^us

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 30 December 2012 - 22:17

Thanks for the further tips guys, I'm thinking you could be right, I haven't spoken to her for a few days but last time I was logged in I did notice she hadn't been connected for atleast a day before that and she is the only user.

I am with Sky but they have no hardware in our exchange so they are reselling BT. Therefore we can only get Sky Connect which is throttled between 5 and 1AM
BT don't throttle in my area as its their hardware, thats who Gran is with and who we will be switching to in a month when our Sky contract is up :)

EDIT:
Been doing some reading and the 169.254.x.x IP I am getting is a Link Local address. Its what windows assigns when the computer doesnt get an IP from the router.
So by me manually assigning the IP, thats why it seems a little better when infact it isn't. The router is still doing (or not doing) the same thing.

Guess I'll just need to wait until she is home to reboot it and like others have said, I suspect that will fix the problems.

(Or maybe I could somehow cut the power to her house to restart it :laugh: haha)

Definitely sounds like something has gone wrong her end, if shes not in the house atm, maybe shes unplugged a few things, you know how oaps are for worrying ;)

#19 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 30 December 2012 - 23:43

its maybe only even 2 depending on how its counted
5-----7------9 -----11
^gran---------------^us

If there was a way to lay some Ethernet, I can't stress enough how wrong it would be for you to get a mate or two and a jimmy/crow bar (commonly called breaker bar from the local hardware stores) and lift the slabs outside your house to slip under some cable or even throw Ethernet cable up into the cutters (if you're in terraced houses). I certainly wouldn't advise taking a spade, sticking it in garden at the front or rear about a foot down to make a trench and then dropping the cable in and pressing it back so it doesn't look like you've been digging.. nope. I've never done anything like that and you shouldn't either! while these ideas and any others you can think of to get Ethernet connected between you and your gran are much better then wireless for connectivity you shouldn't do it. It might seem attractive for 30meters worth of cat5 for around £8 to get gigabit (using cat6) connectivity when you only want to use her internet... hmm, at least you don't have to worry about lightning with wireless right.

#20 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:28

your gramma needs AMPED WIRELESS!!! and she's downloading too many cat videos

#21 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:26

If there was a way to lay some Ethernet, I can't stress enough how wrong it would be for you to get a mate or two and a jimmy/crow bar (commonly called breaker bar from the local hardware stores) and lift the slabs outside your house to slip under some cable or even throw Ethernet cable up into the cutters (if you're in terraced houses). I certainly wouldn't advise taking a spade, sticking it in garden at the front or rear about a foot down to make a trench and then dropping the cable in and pressing it back so it doesn't look like you've been digging.. nope. I've never done anything like that and you shouldn't either! while these ideas and any others you can think of to get Ethernet connected between you and your gran are much better then wireless for connectivity you shouldn't do it. It might seem attractive for 30meters worth of cat5 for around £8 to get gigabit (using cat6) connectivity when you only want to use her internet... hmm, at least you don't have to worry about lightning with wireless right.

I did think about putting a cable up in the guttering as it is terraced houses lol!
Not worth it now though as I have the long range wifi and we will be changing providers soon and wont have any more throttling to put up with :)

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:11

"its assigning me an IP of something like 70.264.30.22"

Well I highly doubt it was anything like to be honest, for starters 264 is not even a valid octet ;)

I would guess the IP was APIPA, and started with 169.254.x.x

This is the automatic random IP many OSes setup when set for DHCP and no dhcp server answers.

Nothing to be done until you can check the router - for all we know she turned on mac filtering ;) You say you can ping her router, can you access it via its remote console. This is quite often disabled via wireless in the first place as a security measure, etc. But you could try - if you can then you can verify it has wan connection and its dhcp server is on, etc.

#23 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:52

"its assigning me an IP of something like 70.264.30.22"

Well I highly doubt it was anything like to be honest, for starters 264 is not even a valid octet ;)

I would guess the IP was APIPA, and started with 169.254.x.x

This is the automatic random IP many OSes setup when set for DHCP and no dhcp server answers.

Nothing to be done until you can check the router - for all we know she turned on mac filtering ;) You say you can ping her router, can you access it via its remote console. This is quite often disabled via wireless in the first place as a security measure, etc. But you could try - if you can then you can verify it has wan connection and its dhcp server is on, etc.

yeah sorry I didn't copy the IP down that was written from memory (only glanced at it). Yes you are correct it was 169.254 :) I realised my mistake when I posted later about the Link Local IP (169.254.x.x)

Yeah I will just have to wait until she is home.
I can ping 192.168.1.1 but if I visit that in browser then it just times out. Chrome gives me error of server didn't respond with any data (or words to that effect)

#24 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:01

Its very bad practice to allow router admin gui access from wireless - I would hope most routers have this disabled by default..

Or it could be that just the router has crashed and all its really doing is answering pings. Which would explain why you can not get on the internet even if you setup an IP on its range and point to it as gateway. You sure that is the routers IP your pointing to for gateway and dns, and not some other IP on the network ;)

The most likely issue is router is just hosed/crashed/hung, etc. And a reboot will fix it up.

#25 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 December 2012 - 15:21

Is there no command you can send to crash / reboot the router via wireless ?

Telnet etc ?

sys reboot

#26 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 17:27

Is there no command you can send to crash / reboot the router via wireless ?

Telnet etc ?

sys reboot

I'd assume you could?
I know you can from the web GUI but ofcourse that is no use.
Gran is away for new year so gonna be 2 days before shes home :(
bummer! lol

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 December 2012 - 17:31

I'd assume you could?
I know you can from the web GUI but ofcourse that is no use.
Gran is away for new year so gonna be 2 days before shes home :(
bummer! lol

I can with my router, but I`m running DD-WRT

Add remove Windows features and add the telnet client

then from CMD type:

telnet 192.168.1.x (Whatever the routers IP is)

It will hopefully will prompt for login, I use root for login, so not sure if you can log in with the normal router credentials, I couldn't I had to use root

Then try the above command to reboot it (Might not be that exact command but if you actually get to that stage we can look for more commands if that doesn't work)

#28 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 19:43

Just went to try connect again to try the telnet thing and i have address of 192.168.1.3 and am writing this from her connection :)

very strange indeed, she isnt home and nothing is changed AFAIK

Working now anyway :D

EDIT:
I am logged into webGUI is there anything i can do from here to help me if this happens again? Can I change DHCP settings or something?

#29 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 31 December 2012 - 20:11

Here's a tip for finding out who made the router if you don't know and you can try the default username and password for the router config since a lot of people are too lazy to change it.

Desktop ops:
Please note:On a phone this gets more tricky as most wifi scanning software on phones does not list the MFR also iphones are not invited to the party since apple won't let wifi scanning apps onto thier store.

Phone ops:

#30 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 20:16

Here's a tip for finding out who made the router if you don't know and you can try the default username and password for the router config since a lot of people are too lazy to change it.

Desktop ops:

Please note:On a phone this gets more tricky as most wifi scanning software on phones does not list the MFR also iphones are not invited to the party since apple won't let wifi scanning apps onto thier store.

Phone ops:

thanks for that but already know router manufacturer and I set up her internet for her so I know username and pass :)
Have bookmarked those tools though :)