2,814 posts in this topic

Posted

A new year, a new discussion! Feel free to continue any discussions from the [url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1068876-official-religion-thread-ii/"]previous pinned topic[/url].

Please post all new articles and discussion questions pertaining to religion in this official thread. Any new threads that are started on this topic will be merged here.

Please be respectful of others' beliefs and don't forget the forum rules!
2 people like this

Posted

no sticky?

And just to kick the thread off

[img]http://i.imgur.com/w7YyZ.png[/img]
3 people like this

Posted

^ Was waiting for the other thread to close. :D

Posted

Another nut, another end of the world prediction:

[quote]
[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=4][b][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs"]Warren Jeffs[/url][/b], the man who is both the leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and in prison for committing aggravated sexual assault on children, is still making decisions for his cult from behind bars.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia, Helvetica, Tahoma, sans-serif][size=4]In fact, he

Posted

So he's got about another what, 36 hours to be right?

Best of luck with that Mr Jeffs.

With any luck it might be the end of the world for him. :shiftyninja:

Posted

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KouTrSi6fyg[/media]

Here's to many more jokes at religions expense in 2013 :rofl: That would make a good Halloween costume :rofl:

Posted

Oh, look, we're all still here, again.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1357014336' post='595425998']
[/quote]

bull**** this is just limbo, good thing the internet still works in limbo

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1357014336' post='595425998']
[/quote]

and again and again. Oh wait, tonight is the night for the apocalypse according to FLDS's leader. See everyone in the morning. Or not. Either way, doesn't matter. But if anyone is a believer in the word, the Bible says: No man shall know when I come. I shall come like a thief in the night.

[quote][b]Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. - Revelation 3:3[/b][/quote]

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357017499' post='595426044']
and again and again. Oh wait, tonight is the night for the apocalypse according to FLDS's leader. See everyone in the morning. Or not. Either way, doesn't matter. But if anyone is a believer in the word, the Bible says: No man shall know when I come. I shall come like a thief in the night.
[/quote]

Yeah these amateurs need to learn from the masters of bull**** don't mention a date.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='TPreston' timestamp='1357051492' post='595426374']
Yeah these amateurs need to learn from the masters of bull**** don't mention a date.
[/quote]

TPreston, I respect your beliefs, I really do. Even if I never said that before. I do. But do you constantly have to disrespect other people's beliefs? I know I have disrespected in the past before. But I have even tried understanding yours and many others beliefs. I even asked FFM about it. So could we try to not disrespect each others beliefs? Thanx TPreston.

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357059042' post='595426650']
TPreston, I respect your beliefs, I really do. Even if I never said that before. I do. But do you constantly have to disrespect other people's beliefs? I know I have disrespected in the past before. But I have even tried understanding yours and many others beliefs. I even asked FFM about it. So could we try to not disrespect each others beliefs? Thanx TPreston.
[/quote]

[b]Yes [/b]because this is where our moral reasoning comes from, Its the free market place of ideas and the stupid ones will be mocked to death.

Its incredibly important and the cause of social progress.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='TPreston' timestamp='1357059296' post='595426666']
[b]Yes [/b]because this is where our moral reasoning comes from, Its the free market place of ideas and the stupid ones will be mocked to death.

Its incredibly important and the cause of social progress.
[/quote]

Well, I tried to be reasonable with you. But you are a completely unreasonable person. You condemn others for not having an open mind, but you don't have an open mind. You call anyone who believes in something you don't stupid or uneducated and hypocritical. So I give up on trying with you.

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357059042' post='595426650']
[/quote]

People should be respected, but beliefs and ideas should ALWAYS be subject to constant questioning, and when necessary, ridicule.

I respect your right to believe in whatever you like, but I can't respect the belief itself.
6 people like this

Posted

[quote name='FloatingFatMan' timestamp='1357059896' post='595426678']
People should be respected, but beliefs and ideas should ALWAYS be subject to constant questioning, and when necessary, ridicule.

I respect your right to believe in whatever you like, but I can't respect the belief itself.
[/quote]

I understand your point FFM, except the ridiculed part. Everyone has feelings and when they get ridiculed for things, people can and sometimes do take exception and then the conversation can get heated and out of control. Isn't it better to not ridicule so the conversation can stay friendly and then can progress? Questioning is fine, ridiculing isn't.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='GreyWolf' timestamp='1356910695' post='595423876'] A new year, a new discussion! Feel free to continue any discussions from the [url="http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1068876-official-religion-thread-ii/"]previous pinned topic[/url]. Please post all new articles and discussion questions pertaining to religion in this official thread. Any new threads that are started on this topic will be merged here. Please be respectful of others' beliefs and don't forget the forum rules! [/quote]
Why? Why is this thread "neccesary" on Neowin? It just is wood for flamewars. These types of threads should be banned from Neowin.
1 person likes this

Posted

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/75905_395761307178245_2126196827_n.jpg[/img]
6 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357060247' post='595426684']
I understand your point FFM, except the ridiculed part. Everyone has feelings and when they get ridiculed for things, people can and sometimes do take exception and then the conversation can get heated and out of control. Isn't it better to not ridicule so the conversation can stay friendly and then can progress? Questioning is fine, ridiculing isn't.
[/quote]

I don't ridicule people, I ridicule beliefs that make unprovable claims. I'm not responsible for people that take personal offence at their pet beliefs being taken to task.
3 people like this

Posted

But some people should also be ridiculed like this guy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYbHWGQME4[/media]

Posted

If that's the case, let me leave this here:

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7634qfbBl1rt8sgdo1_1280.jpg[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted

Well, fortunately, I can ID probably 80% of the left side, and have NO idea who that bint on the right is...
1 person likes this

Posted

I think the real question is why haven't you all accepted Odin as the king of the gods into your heart?

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1356916296' post='595423972']
Derp. I was trying to make a topic for atheists to demystify atheism. Apparently my topic annoyed someone and the topic was mindlessly merged into the general religion topic, without explination. Don't worry, I won't bother in the future. I'm sorry for trying, I usually am.
[/quote]

I get that, I wasn't trying to be insulting. I too disagree with so much merging.

I do however think in general, since atheism is such a conglomoration, that we should be wary of those who simply attack a deity as a way of taking a swipe at their morality. Far too often atheists come across as the sober guy at a party scoffing at those getting high. We all take a opiate of some kind, it just depends on what archetype you want to wrap it in.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357064461' post='595426784']
If that's the case, let me leave this here:

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7634qfbBl1rt8sgdo1_1280.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
I perfer sex tapes over science.

Posted

[quote name='pes2013' timestamp='1357082497' post='595427272']
I perfer sex tapes over science.
[/quote]

You wouldn't even have sex "[b]tapes[/b]" if it weren't for science.
2 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.