Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:41

Well that would certainly suck!

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,425 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:44

I haven't played Pikmin, but the other three games are not "kiddie" games.

They have elements that appeal to adults but just look at New Super Mario Bros U (skip a few minutes in to get to the gameplay):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NnhWpI-EPM

If you don't think that's aimed at kiddies then I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

#18 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 799 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 01 January 2013 - 15:56

They have elements that appeal to adults but just look at New Super Mario Bros U (skip a few minutes in to get to the gameplay):

[snip]

If you don't think that's aimed at kiddies then I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

watched 10 seconds, commentator is an adult laughing and having fun. Game is the same as old Mario but with modern graphics.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,217 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:00

Who says that Mario U isn't a core game ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NnhWpI-EPM

I don't need to look at the trailer, I'm playing the game.

It's like saying that Dreamworks and Pixar movies (well Cars 2 excluded) are kiddie movies. they are movies that are just as much for kids as adult, especially dreamworks movies with come with a lot of adult humor. doesn't make them any less adult movies than a violent Rambo movie full of sex and gore. just different.

#20 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,425 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:22

It's like saying that Dreamworks and Pixar movies (well Cars 2 excluded) are kiddie movies. they are movies that are just as much for kids as adult, especially dreamworks movies with come with a lot of adult humor. doesn't make them any less adult movies than a violent Rambo movie full of sex and gore. just different.

They are designed for kids but appeal to adults - I mean, no one would seriously suggest that Toy Story was made primarily for adults. Having to find all the collectibles in NSMBU doesn't make it a core game; it just means that OCD-types will enjoy it. There's no doubt in my mind that NSMBU falls under the casual category rather than the core category.

I'm not suggesting that core games need to include violence or sex but The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 were both better games because of their mature themes.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,217 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:36

no they where good games because they where good games, the whitcher would still be a good game without the adult themes and nudity, in fact some of it was overly forced and unecessary. I on't mind it, and think we need games that are purely adult like that to, but that's not what made them good games.

and NSMBU is a great game and a core game because it's a great hard and fun game, not because of the collectibles.

and while kids think shrek is funny, You need to be an adult to fully understand and appreciate the movies. they're not made for children but appeal to adults, they're made for both.

#22 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,153 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:41

They are designed for kids but appeal to adults - I mean, no one would seriously suggest that Toy Story was made primarily for adults. Having to find all the collectibles in NSMBU doesn't make it a core game; it just means that OCD-types will enjoy it. There's no doubt in my mind that NSMBU falls under the casual category rather than the core category.

I'm not suggesting that core games need to include violence or sex but The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 were both better games because of their mature themes.

Except, that basically is what you've been saying. As i don't think you've listed a game as a "core game" that doesn't center completely(or near completely) around violence and other "mature" things.

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,425 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 16:52

Except, that basically is what you've been saying. As i don't think you've listed a game as a "core game" that doesn't center completely(or near completely) around violence and other "mature" things.

They were just the examples I listed. Games like Defense Grid, Civilization V and King's Bounty have little in the way of violence or sexual content yet they are core games.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,217 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:00

why are they core games and not Mario U ?

#25 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• 5,685 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:20

Serves them right for using the inferior GPU producer.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,217 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:28

Serves them right for using the inferior GPU producer.

APU. and pretty much the only highend APU producer, nvidia only makes GPU's, and intel makes crap APU's.

#27 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,679 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:35

I really think you guys should drop the term "core gaming" altogether. It's a stupid term of which no one can agree upon for anything.

I do agree with the fact that Nintendo has always felt like the console that's lacked choice though. My friends and I have only ever purchased the console for the Nintendo games, and when they're not being played, they pretty much sit and collect dust. The Wii for example only gets turned on for Brawl, or maybe Mario Party. There's nothing wrong with all-ages sort of games, but I want to play Dark Souls and the like too.

I think it all started with the N64 that had extremely few RPGs for one thing (Ogre Battle 64, Aidyn Chronicles, and Quest64 were probably the only ones?). They at least had a decent controller for FPS games though, which made games like Doom64, Turok, Goldeneye and such great. Then they seemed to lose that as well, where by the GameCube, Metroid was the only memorable experience for me. Once again, going back to the reliance on first-party Nintendo titles to sort of carry the console.

Basically, I just want to be able to play Nintendo games, without any sort of limitation to what else the console can do. The Wii U might be a step up, but right now, I'm waiting to see what MS and Sony do because I don't want to have another console that's not gonna get the latest and greatest games again.

As for the next versions of the Sony and MS consoles, well... I'm game for either team. I think it's just a matter of seeing what each will be able to do. Hopefully, there's a release in 2013 so that neither PC or console gaming is getting the short end of the stick.

#28 what

what

Neowinian Senior

• 7,437 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:38

This thread derailed quickly.

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,425 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:47

why are they core games and not Mario U ?

Even if we sidestep that entire debate, the biggest issue is that the Wii U is lacking choice - that includes both casual and core games. Most multi-platform releases are passing on the Wii U, while the exclusives aren't strong enough to warrant the cost of buying into a new console - particularly not when Microsoft and Sony are going to be releasing much more powerful consoles shortly. It won't appeal to people who already own the X360 or the PS3, unless they have a lot of disposable income.

As I said, I don't consider a delay for the X720 or PS3 to be a significant advantage for the Wii U. The current generation of consoles - and that includes the Wii U - are incredibly dated in terms of hardware and visuals and people are waiting for the next big thing. Unreal Engine 4 won't run on the Wii U and if UE3 is anything to go by then it's likely to be one of the most widely used engines. Nintendo needs to really push the unique tablet angle and it's not doing that with half-baked ports that use the tablet as a gimmick - it needs exclusive games, regardless of whether they target the casual market.

#30 hdca18

hdca18

holla

• 165 posts
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:02

Can't wait for the PS4 :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!