Photo

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:22

After news about Piston, I'm more interested in what Valve can put out against the competition.

Sony is enough desperate shape to throw everything they have at the Orbis.

Has the source of the delay been confirmed?

#32 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,931 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:30

Piston... a 1000 dollar high end gaming computer being held back by Linux and integrated graphics...

Valve isn't even in this game. MS and Sony at least have a game plan, it's still unfortunate for Sony that they have to pay extra this gen because they where late last time.

As for the delay, event he delay isn't confirmed yet, it's just a rumor that there could be a delay.

#33 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,158 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 18:37

this delay, if true, is only bad news for the wii U as it will give sony and MS time to refine their upcoming console vs. the wii U. though at this point, i'm wondering if they still consider nintendo competition.

#34 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05

Piston... a 1000 dollar high end gaming computer being held back by Linux and integrated graphics...

Valve isn't even in this game. MS and Sony at least have a game plan, it's still unfortunate for Sony that they have to pay extra this gen because they where late last time.

As for the delay, event he delay isn't confirmed yet, it's just a rumor that there could be a delay.

Man you're such a downer, I'm so glad the industry doesn't follow your claims of being held back from Linux.

Have you heard of royalties, good sir?

Microsoft would want a slice if Valve decided to put some form of Windows CE onto that Piston of theirs.

#35 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,931 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20

sometimes a license is worth it.

in either case, linux isn't the main problem here, price and the hardware is. and for linux case, it better not be an nvidia card, unfortunately for gamers it better be an nvidia card, bit of a paradox. The hardware design isn't that good either and not something that would look good or fit in under the TV

#36 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,278 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:25

I some how doubt it. For all we know, AMD did that because of the PS4/Xbox Next (i.e. they are focusing on producing those chips for the consoles first, they'll hardly admit it since neither console are announced yet). Considering both consoles are late, MS/Sony will be pulling all stops to ensure they launch at some point this year, that is my guess. Take with a grain of salt.

#37 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:42

sometimes a license is worth it.

in either case, linux isn't the main problem here, price and the hardware is. and for linux case, it better not be an nvidia card, unfortunately for gamers it better be an nvidia card, bit of a paradox. The hardware design isn't that good either and not something that would look good or fit in under the TV

AMD 7 Series cards run better than most nvidia cards on Linux which is why Piston is fusion based. But at least you're aware of the situation with Nvidia because everybody is stuck with them, at least Gabe pushed them into writing better proprietary drivers.

http://youtu.be/IVpOyKCNZYw?t=1m14s

#38 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,783 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:53

The Wii U has a big disadvantage for winning 'gamers'. It's weaker than the Xbox and PS3 and it's online features are limited in comparison with the Xbox 360. So far I've yet to see an exclusive game or exclusive feature to lure me over.

#39 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,281 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:04

I really doubt the next Xbox will use a amd x86 cpu. The gpu will probably be another custom amd gpu like the 360 has but I think that's as far as it'll go.

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,931 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:53

the thing is, by this point we're most likely less than a year from release, and there's not been a rumor about anything else than AMD APU's (well there was the arm thing, but that got replaced with AMD), at this point, if there was going to be another technology used, we would have had rumors about it on either the xbox or PS4. but the only rumors we keep getting is more on the AMD APU...

it's 95% sure to be an AMD APU

#41 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• 506 posts
  • OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:09

Definitely, I am not going to buy Xbox 720 as soon as it hits shelves.As any other MS product, they will release somehow buggy thing @ the beginning.Moreover, I will wait untill price drops alittel bit and titles specific for it and also untill I buy a 3D screen.