nexus 4 android jelly bean

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#16 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 17:25

Google Play Store warranty replaced my Nexus 4 over the crack. Hehe, I hope I receive my replacement soon... it could take weeks. Murphy's law says I drop it during that time and totally screw myself on the warranty :p. Better be extra careful.

#17 spacey

spacey

Out of this world

Posted 01 January 2013 - 18:44

That is great they are going to replace it. I bought my wife a Nexus 4 and she likes it too. I'm thinking about getting a bumper for it as well.

#18 ManMountain

ManMountain

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:01

I use a screen protector and gel cover on both my nexus 4 and 7 and I agree with the OP, the nexus 4 is worthy of love, great phone :-)

#19 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:03

If it was a scratch I'd say live with it, but a crack can get worse and worse, so it's good that you're getting it replaced.

#20 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:09

Sadly, the crack developed while the phone was in the official Google bumper so it wasn't a surface-contact thing (and that shouldn't sit well with other owners). The phone gets quite hot in the very center while in normal use and I suspect that the glass cracking was a thermal thing but I can't pinpoint when it actually happened.

I use a screen protector and gel cover on both my nexus 4 and 7 and I agree with the OP, the nexus 4 is worthy of love, great phone :-)

If Google wasn't going to replace it I think I'd still be OK with it (so long as the crack didn't develop further and become a cut hazard). I've really loved this phone though. Awesome performance and the battery life is just right for my usage patterns.

#21 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:20

I ordered mine on 5th of Dec, still not heard anything.. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

#22 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 19:30

Just got my nexus 7, here. I really like it! There was a few small bumps along the way, but overall, it's a great tablet.

#23 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:08

Sadly, the crack developed while the phone was in the official Google bumper so it wasn't a surface-contact thing (and that shouldn't sit well with other owners). The phone gets quite hot in the very center while in normal use and I suspect that the glass cracking was a thermal thing but I can't pinpoint when it actually happened.

If Google wasn't going to replace it I think I'd still be OK with it (so long as the crack didn't develop further and become a cut hazard). I've really loved this phone though. Awesome performance and the battery life is just right for my usage patterns.

Mine actually gets warm on the top when I'm playing games. The whole back is luke warm when wireless charging. But other then that nothing.

I'm glad I always lay my phones screen down.

#24 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:36

Mine actually gets warm on the top when I'm playing games. The whole back is luke warm when wireless charging. But other then that nothing.

I'm glad I always lay my phones screen down.

Seems counter-intuitive but not a bad idea!

#25 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:49

Yeah I lay it screen down cause the screen in my opinion is usually the strongest part unless its the SGS3. Not only that but the bumper as you can tell doesnt raise the back up more but it raises the screen up more. I always put my phone down on soft surfaces too. If im at a friends house and its on a table, its on top of my wallet screen down so in case something lands on it, i would rather not have the screen get cracked.

In my pocket the screen faces my leg. I've had enough friends bump something REALLY hard and crack their screen in there pocket.

#26 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:07

Yeah I lay it screen down cause the screen in my opinion is usually the strongest part unless its the SGS3. Not only that but the bumper as you can tell doesnt raise the back up more but it raises the screen up more. I always put my phone down on soft surfaces too. If im at a friends house and its on a table, its on top of my wallet screen down so in case something lands on it, i would rather not have the screen get cracked.

In my pocket the screen faces my leg. I've had enough friends bump something REALLY hard and crack their screen in there pocket.

Yeah, my screen is always facing my leg, but I think I'm going to start doing what you do and put the phone screen face down. Makes sense. I guess I'm always hesitant because I'm worried about the screen coming in contact with grime on whatever surface.

Lol, I put my phone on my wallet too lots of times.

#27 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:34

Im just as paranoid as you are. I use to run powersupport screen protectors on my 3GS and my 4S. Well since they dont make those for the nexus, ive been running naked and I have to say, besides wiping down the screen at the end of the day, I dont mind it. I also make sure if I set it down, soft surface only. cause no matter how quickly you wipe down a surface, their can we any kind of grime, dust, sand, etc that you dont see.

So as long as you have your wallet, or some kind of a book or something, you should be fine. At home I have a microfiber that I set my iPhone 5 on and Nexus 4 on. Thats the only time my phone sites face up lol.

With lightflow, I like the fact that if after my preferred time limit on the notification light is done, i can have the camera LED flash too. I only use this at friends houses because at home and work, my phone sits face up on a microfiber.

When you pay this much for a device, taking "some" precautions is kind of important. I only say this because a lot of people say its "only a phone, tablet, laptop, etc".

Yeah well I cant just drop another $350 on my nexus 4 ESPECIALLY when they are hard to come by still.

Im glad google replaced it, how did the call go and what did the rep say regarding the situation?

#28 PiNoYz

PiNoYz

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:42

I love my Nexus 4 16GB, revision 10 model! :)
I've had it since Nov. 19th.. I use the XO Skins Full Body Skin, installed it on Nov 21st.. The phone has been naked, aside from the protector until I got an S-Line TPU case on Dec. 7th.. And just recently, on Dec. 29th, I am using the Poetic Borderline Bumper Case on my Nexus 4.. I am also on the Xylon ROM and using Franco's r23 Kernel.. My battery life gets me between 3-5 hours depending on how intensive my usage is..

After almost 1.5 months of use, I have no damage whatsoever (knocks on wood). :)

#29 OP Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 16:12

Well, Google Play Store hit the hold on my CC this morning. That *should* be an indication that my replacement will ship today. Last time I did the RMA, however, they put a hold on my CC and I got nothing after a week. I called them on Saturday they removed the CC hold, saying that they should only have put it there when the replacement ships and then Tuesday morning put a new hold on my CC (but that time it had actually shipped).

#30 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:02

I love my Nexus 4 16GB, revision 10 model! :)

How do you find out what revision yours is?