F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Williams F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Caterham F1 Team
    • Marrusia F1 Team
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Jenson Button
    • Sergio Perez
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul Di Resta
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Valtteri Bottas
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Charles Pic
    • Giedo Van Der Garde
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton

why did ross brawn went up the podium today for constructors?! could any1 explain me? usually its teamboss first, but mercedes has already had 2 wins before who was up the podium there for the team? lowe? dont think so as he just joined the team. lauda? nope would deffo have remembered that one... stays only wolf as a major team member but deffo not 2 times. 

usually you send first the team principal, then the technical director, etc. etc. as mercedes has several technical directors imho it would be my absolute dream to see them winning monza (a good chance imho) and then sending up aldo costa to rub it in ferraris face. how lovely would that be?  :laugh:  :laugh:

Probably because it was Ham's 1st win, yeah normally team boss is 1st and then other members of the team, but this is Lewis't 1st win of the season and 1st win with Merc...not surprised at all that Ross went up.

Good race though, nice to see Ham back on form, and the merc getting even more competitive. should be an interesting 2nd half.

I doubt Alonso would move to RBR, Like Javik said, he wouldn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Seb.

Definitely agree with Hamilton being the Driver of the Day, but I'd say Grosjean was the Reject of the Race, not the steward who punished him. He KNEW he'd gone off-road during the pass and there is history of what happens when you do that, the stewards had no choice. On top of that he hit Button and someone else who I can't remember. Sure he had a couple of highlights this race but he also made a couple of mistakes himself which affected other peoples races.

That said, his 20 second penalty is a joke - the FIA need to apply a couple of places grid penalty if a time penalty won't affect the final result. They're just saying "Hey look, we're punishing him for hitting someone and taking them out the race, we've given him a time penalty... which hasn't affected him in the slightest bit". It's happened several times now with various drivers and it's just an absolute joke.

• Like 1

I don't think he did all that much wrong. Seemed to me as if he didn't completely leave the track, hell even Massa the guy he passed said he didn't think a penalty was merited. As for the button incident, he was already ahead of Jenson in the breaking zone.

The rules don't suddenly get changed because it annoys people, a 20 second penalty is a standard after race drive through. Sometimes people just get lucky like Hamilton did at the 2010 European GP and lose nothing to a penalty. There's nothing mandated in the rules that says a driver has to lose a position or points because of a penalty.

Just watch the white line :) 

Seemed to me as if he didn't completely leave the track

Also, on the point about "that's the rules" - I know, and I'm saying that that particular rule as it is right now stinks. The whole point of a penalty (by definition) is to penalise someone. How was Grosjean penalised by his 20s time penalty? (No you don't get a point for saying "he finished 20s further behind the race leader").

Seen on Auto Motor und Sport (article in German): A simulated lap around the Monza circuit with the 2014 Mercedes engine.

A far cry from the old days of the Ferrari V12. :/

Just for reference, this is what the V12 engine sounded like in 1994:

Debate time, then. We all pretty much dislike the sound of the new V6 engines, so would any of you like to see sound generators added to the new F1 cars (like Audi's e-sound system) to replicate the old V8/V10/V12 engine sounds, or would you consider that to be even worse?

Debate time, then. We all pretty much dislike the sound of the new V6 engines, so would any of you like to see sound generators added to the new F1 cars (like Audi's e-sound system) to replicate the old V8/V10/V12 engine sounds, or would you consider that to be even worse?

Does the sound generator make the car go faster, or run more efficiently?

If not I don't see the point just to make it more pleasing on the ears, it's something we'll have to live with until the next generation of engines come along.

I'll take a sound generator over the V6 engine sound. Yes, I know the sound clips we've heard were recorded on the dyno, and the engines will sound somewhat better in the car. Still - the new turbo V6 engines leave a lot to be desired in the engine sound department. To me they sound more like an F3 than an F1 engine.

Also, on the point about "that's the rules" - I know, and I'm saying that that particular rule as it is right now stinks. The whole point of a penalty (by definition) is to penalise someone. How was Grosjean penalised by his 20s time penalty? (No you don't get a point for saying "he finished 20s further behind the race leader").

The only alternative is to arbitrarily alter the length of a race penalty to make sure the driver loses a place which isn't a great idea given that the officiating in F1 is inconsistent enough to begin with. The after race penalty is supposed to be roughly equal to the time you'd lose for a drive through which was 20s here, it would be the same as if he'd gotten a drive through in the race. You could alter it to a stop and go which would add another 10s but going off the track isn't usually considered to be necessary for smaller infractions.

They are weak but I think artificially altering the sound would be largely pointless. I'm sure they will probably actually be about as powerful as the V8s they just won't sound it.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimi Raikkonen tests GP3 at the Circuit de Catalunya

I bet that is a massive boost for the team, I know there are a lot of talented drivers in the series but getting someone like Kimi to come and feedback to the team must be amazing.

Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen completed an official GP3 test in a GP3/13 car the Circuit de Catalunya on Friday.

The Finn was tasked with testing how the car responded to different tyre compounds as part of a technical development programme to increase overtaking in the series.

The 2007 World Champion completed 58 laps with a best time of 1:34.780. That would have been good enough for third on the grid when GP3 visited the circuit in May.

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12473/8873709/kimi-raikkonen-took-part-in-a-gp3-test-as-part-of-series-technical-development-programme

F1 is back in action at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium - arguably one of the most exciting circuits on the calendar. First free practice result:

Screenshot-on-2013-08-23-at-11.47.59.png

The standings after Q1 are memorable. van der Garde on P3? Both Marussias in Q2? No one would have expected this.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-24-at-14.24.20.png

• Like 1

Looks like Di Resta's gonna get his first pole position! The track's getting wetter and wetter; it's gonna take a miracle for someone to beat his time now...

...well f**k. Rosberg pulled off a miracle lap.

Wow, the track conditions changed rather quickly. Hamilton and both Red Bulls a second faster at the very end. :o

Bah, gutted for DiResta, but it wasn't half an exciting qualifying. It'll be interesting to see how the race goes tomorrow.

Man of the race: Fernando Alonso

Reject of the race: Pastor Maldonado

Agreed. (Y) Maldonado's ######ed when the penalty points come into play next year. :P

Agreed. (Y) Maldonado's ****ed when the penalty points come into play next year. :p

They need to revoke his license like they did to Yuji Ide. Maldonado seems more dangerous to me.