Thinking of upgrading core components, is this ok?

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my rig in the near future. I built this in 2005/6 and it's lasted me very well. However I have been thinking of upgrading because I would like more performance as some of my games are starting to lag, I also do the odd video editing and photo editing.

My current spec is this:

• Core 2 duo E6320 4MB L2
  • 5GB PC6400 Corsair
  • ATI Radeon 6950 2GB
  • 600W Zalman PSU
  • 250GB & 1TB Sata hard drives
  • Asus Nvidia motherboard P5N32-E SLI Plus

I am happy with my PSU, Graphics card and I have all the DVD Burner, case and that kind of stuff. I am thinking of upgrading to the following:

• Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor Retail with Heat Sink Fan ?251.00
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Motherboard ?69.32
  • Corsair Memory Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP Quad Channel Desktop - ?114.38

I'm undecided about the ram, 32GB seems overkill but didn't seem that much over 16gb but willing to spend the bit extra to make it last as long as my current rig, and yes I run a 64bit OS. I'm just wondering if my selection of new parts is good enough? I don't have a budget set, but I will be spreading it out over three months or so as my flat rent is far more important (the cpu alone is almost about one months flat rent :p). Any other suggestions welcome, as long as it's Intel for cpu as I have been impressed with them the last few years. After I have the new parts, I'll probably sell my old parts to make up for some the cost since it is all working. I have experiencing in upgrading motherboard bios so I am comfortable with this (I understand it is needed to support latest cpu's?)

I will probably be ordering from scan.co.uk as I don't like the ebuyer.com returns policy.

1) 32 GB is quite an overkill. Unless it's a really good deal, which it isn't. Because you've sufficed thus far with 5 GB RAM, you could do with a single 8 GB module now, have the system going. Add another (or three) 8 GB module(s) later, should you really feel the need. See Step 4 why.

2) K processor isn't necessary unless you plan to OC. Save 20 quid there.

3) Z77 doesn't need any BIOS updates just to work with Ivy Bridge, so have a peace of mind there

4) Consider an SSD, perhaps? One with a fair capacity of 120 GB, say, Corsair Force 3 will not set back you a lot (?75 as of now on scan.co.uk), but will make the system fly.

I also agree on getting the Asus P8Z77-V LK. Very very good mobo.

16GB of RAM is plenty. Don't waste your money on any more than that.

I'd also highly recommend getting an SSD. You'll see a huge huge boost in performance then. A Crucial M4 is a top notch SSD, which is really cheap. Or go OCZ if you want the latest, greatest, and fastest. It obviously costs more though.

A Crucial M4 is a top notch SSD, which is really cheap

Although it did have certain firmware issues (and unless I'm really nuts, one had to create a boot disk to upgrade it - a bit of a hassle). Probably fixed in factory now, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have an SSD around but I am not using it at the moment, because my current motherboard does not have ahci and it messed up the previous drive so I had a replacement (so holding of SSD until I upgrade). I will look into your suggestions.

I was thinking of moving away from Asus motherboards as my current one is Nforce chipset and I read other manufactures are more stable with things like cpu voltage, but I could be totally wrong here. I don't mind doing a bit of overclocking (my case is very well air cooled with lots of fans) but it wouldn't be that much overclocking.

Edit, just thought of another question. Would my 600W Zalman PSU be compatible with the current motherboards? It's ok with the connector and everything?

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have an SSD around but I am not using it at the moment, because my current motherboard does not have ahci and it messed up the previous drive so I had a replacement (so holding of SSD until I upgrade). I will look into your suggestions.

I was thinking of moving away from Asus motherboards as my current one is Nforce chipset and I read other manufactures are more stable with things like cpu voltage, but I could be totally wrong here. I don't mind doing a bit of overclocking (my case is very well air cooled with lots of fans) but it wouldn't be that much overclocking.

I've used Asus mobos for years and years and have been extremely satisfied. They tend to be really quick with driver and BIOS updates, which is nice. I currently have the Z77 LK and it's definitely the best board I've bought from them.

A nice feature of the newer Asus mobos is that they have predefined overclocking profiles. So overclocking your RAM or CPU is as easy as picking a frequency from a drop-down list. You can obviously tinker with latency and voltages all you want, but for simplicity sake of OC'ing a few GHz, it takes about 5 seconds. I would imagine other mobos have the same features, but I can't see it getting any easier than that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I think now is about the time to order, I thought I would wait until after CES to see if any new CPU's are coming out. But it just seems to be mostly mobile platform cpu's coming out at the minute, unless I have missed anything that is worth waiting for?

Just wondering if there should be any other suggestions before I start ordering.

Edit, I was reading about http://t.co/fETXWP3 Broadwell, would the motherboards suggested by other supports these in the future, perhaps by a BIOS update? (I know that's an impossible question to answer but hoping my invesment is a sound one). Perhaps I should buy a lower cost i7 for now and then upgrade to Broadwell in a few years?

• 4 weeks later...

Get as good of a CPU as you can get.... those are harder to upgrade then a GPU or RAM.