178 posts in this topic

Posted

A 74-year-old US landlord has shot dead two teenage tenants after an argument about snow-shovelling, police say.
James Pak walked into the couple's flat attached to his house in Maine, and said he was going to shoot them before carrying out his threat, police said.
He has been charged with murdering 19-year-old Derrick Thompson, and his girlfriend, Alivia Welch, 18.
Mr Thompson's mother, Susan Johnson, survived Saturday's shootings by playing dead after she was shot.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20880293"]Read More[/url]

Posted

coming to theaters this holiday season : Grumpy Old Men 3

[img]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/921836/thumbs/s-JAMES-PAK-large.jpg?6[/img]

Posted

remember kids, guns don't kill people
3 people like this

Posted

The kids should have had guns as well, what kind of world do we live in if we don't have guns, oh nooooooooo!
4 people like this

Posted

He is 74 years old, I doubt he is listening to Marylin Manson or Eminem , playing videogames like Grand Theft Auto or watching violent movies. So what excuse the NRA is going to come up with for him?

[quote name='ecotrojan' timestamp='1357064953' post='595426804']
[/quote]

And, one is a law-abiding gun owning citizen until one decides not to ...
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Vykranth' timestamp='1357065384' post='595426818']
He is 74 years old, I doubt he is listening to Marylin Manson or Eminem , playing videogames like Grand Theft Auto or watching violent movies. So what excuse the NRA is going to come up with for him?

And, one is a law-abiding gun owning citizen until one decides not to ...
[/quote]
The NRA will say the 2 kids should have guns to defend themselves then the 74 years old won't whip out his gun because he knew he'll be out-gunned!

Genius plan!

[quote name='warwagon' timestamp='1357064857' post='595426796']
coming to theaters this holiday season : Grumpy Old Men 3

[img]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/921836/thumbs/s-JAMES-PAK-large.jpg?6[/img]
[/quote]
Because the entertainment is more important than facing the problem.

Posted

That man needs to die, period, right now, no judge, no jury, no executioner, nothing but a bullet in the brain, I don't care why it happened, I only care that it did. We don't need people like that in society, and I'm not interested in footing a bill for his medical, health, mental, or basic upkeep in some jail or prison cell, period.

Enough is enough.

/me thinks this whole shooting everything you can just because crap in the US is going way too far and is going to blow up, like, real soon and I don't want to be around when it happens :(
3 people like this

Posted

I opened this link thinking,
"I bet he used guns to do the killings"

Posted

Who cares that he killed them, millions of gun owners didn't kill anyone today........
2 people like this

Posted

My Wife just pointed out something I didn't consider:

She (and I) both feel sadder that the guy didn't end up killing himself in the process. Why? Because now we'll have to deal with this crap for days, weeks, months, the families will have to deal with it daily as the killer lives and their children are now gone, and society will have to foot the bill (as I noted I'd rather not do above) for his care and upkeep, the lawyers, the police, medical bills for the surivor, and so on.

/me wonders, what's it going to take to change things...

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357066082' post='595426842']

She (and I) both feel sadder that the guy didn't end up killing himself in the process. Why? Because now we'll have to deal with this crap for days, weeks, months, the families will have to deal with it daily as the killer lives and their children are now gone, and society will have to foot the bill (as I noted I'd rather not do above) for his care and upkeep, the lawyers, the police, medical bills for the surivor, and so on.

[/quote]

If he killed himself you'd still have to pay for the coroner/medical examiner when they carry out the autopsy, police who attend at the scene, etc..

Posted

[quote name='Hardcore Til I Die' timestamp='1357066638' post='595426858']
If he killed himself you'd still have to pay for the coroner/medical examiner when they carry out the autopsy, police who attend at the scene, etc..
[/quote]

One time simple expense, a few thousand bucks at most, no more than $50K. As it stands at this moment, given the situation where it is right now, a half million bucks is about to be spent, minimum, to keep this guy alive and prosecute him, and that's just in the next month, and then it'll stretch into the second month with another $500K or more, and so on. Putting him in a prison would end up costing $75K a year just to keep him alive.

Things are done differently here in the US, and it all costs money like you wouldn't believe.

Society would be better off ending this, quick and clean, right now, but unfortunately we're not there yet.

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357066082' post='595426842']

[/quote]
I believe it'll take more Sandy Hooks shootings to change things. Sad reality.

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357066843' post='595426864']
One time simple expense, a few thousand bucks at most, no more than $50K. As it stands at this moment, given the situation where it is right now, a half million bucks is about to be spent, minimum, to keep this guy alive and prosecute him, and that's just in the next month, and then it'll stretch into the second month with another $500K or more, and so on. Putting him in a prison would end up costing $75K a year just to keep him alive.

Things are done differently here in the US, and it all costs money like you wouldn't believe.

Society would be better off ending this, quick and clean, right now, but unfortunately we're not there yet.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that people should be put to death without a trial (or without pleading guilty to an offence)? That would be a VERY dangerous law to pass.

The legal costs are completely unavoidable :p

Posted

[quote name='Hardcore Til I Die' timestamp='1357067296' post='595426882']
Are you suggesting that people should be put to death without a trial (or without pleading guilty to an offence)? That would be a VERY dangerous law to pass.

The legal costs are completely unavoidable :p
[/quote]

We need the "Back To The Future" quick, down, and dirty system: no lawyers, no real judges, no courtrooms, but simple facts.

Did the person do the crime? Yes, there's ample evidence at the scene and even a direct videotaped face to face confession, the killer was caught with the weapon, had powder burns that match the powder found in the remaining shells of the weapon unfired, fingerprints are a spot on match, everything that exists on the scene proves beyond any shadow of any doubt that this person committed these crimes.

Does the severity of the crime call for the death penalty? Certainly, by any meaning or standard of the word: the killer directly executed two persons with verbalized premeditated malice.

Summary? Execution.

Some aspects of Judge Dredd's world would come in really [i]really[/i] handy right now, and not just in the US.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='ecotrojan' timestamp='1357064953' post='595426804']
[/quote]

I know your being sarcastic, but if someone wasn't holding that gun, can it just shoot someone by itself? Nope. So, no, guns don't kill people, bad people holding that gun kills people.
3 people like this

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357065731' post='595426822']That man needs to die, period, right now, no judge, no jury, no executioner, nothing but a bullet in the brain, I don't care why it happened, I only care that it did.[/quote]

I strongly disagree. He should spend the rest of his life in jail, where he can reflect on his despicable actions. The death penalty has no place in a modern, civilised society.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='theyarecomingforyou' timestamp='1357067889' post='595426900']
I strongly disagree. He should spend the rest of his life in jail, where he can reflect on his despicable actions. The death penalty has no place in a modern, civilised society.
[/quote]

There's nothing modern or civilized about the world we live in, that's the point that so many people keep missing. We're not moving forwards, we're moving backwards, slowly but surely.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357068015' post='595426912']
There's nothing modern or civilized about the world we live in, that's the point that so many people keep missing. We're not moving forwards, we're moving backwards, slowly but surely.
[/quote]

And so your thought is to move it even further back to the Dark Ages by killing the old goat? I know what he did was wrong. But something is mentally wrong with him and he shouldn't be killed over it. He needs to spend the rest of his life incarcerated, but, receiving mental care. But we also don't know any details to this. Maybe these teens threatened him. But even then, that is no excuse for killing them. He should have called the police if they had threatened him. Then they could have dealt with it.
4 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Lo Tec' timestamp='1357068362' post='595426922']
I know what he did was wrong.
[/quote]

None of what you said or implied prior to that part quoted above, nor what followed it, matters in the long run.

It's kind of sad to know that people actually think "An eye for an eye..." is a bad "Dark Ages" type of thing, seriously. Some things just cannot be allowed, period, and this most definitely qualifies as one of those things. Only thing positive that you said is that you know what he did is wrong, guess I can't expect much more than that.

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357068625' post='595426934']
None of what you said or implied prior to that part quoted above, nor what followed it, matters in the long run.

It's kind of sad to know that people actually think "An eye for an eye..." is a bad "Dark Ages" type of thing, seriously. Some things just cannot be allowed, period, and this most definitely qualifies as one of those things. Only thing positive that you said is that you know what he did is wrong, guess I can't expect much more than that.
[/quote]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg[/img]

Posted

like others state, its the kids's fault for not having guns. /s

And so your thought is to move it even further back to the Dark Ages by killing the old goat? I know what he did was wrong. But something is mentally wrong with him and he shouldn't be killed over it. He needs to spend the rest of his life incarcerated, but, receiving mental care. But we also don't know any details to this. Maybe these teens threatened him. But even then, that is no excuse for killing them. He should have called the police if they had threatened him. Then they could have dealt with it.
[/quote] inefficiency has its price...

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357067643' post='595426888']
We need the "Back To The Future" quick, down, and dirty system: no lawyers, no real judges, no courtrooms, but simple facts.

Did the person do the crime? Yes, there's ample evidence at the scene and even a direct videotaped face to face confession, the killer was caught with the weapon, had powder burns that match the powder found in the remaining shells of the weapon unfired, fingerprints are a spot on match, everything that exists on the scene proves beyond any shadow of any doubt that this person committed these crimes.
[/quote]

Whilst I agree with the sentiment and cant understand how or why anyone would do such an horrendous act, there is and always will be a burden of [b]due diligence [/b]to prove beyond reasonable doubt a crime has been committed and the need for a judge and jury to weight the evidence note I did not say proof!, in the case against an offender.It is quite easy in the heat of the moment to misjudge a person or an event in a [b]trial by media[/b] and later regret the actions taken in reprisal our history is full of such actions.

Posted

[quote name='br0adband' timestamp='1357067643' post='595426888']

Does the severity of the crime call for the death penalty? Certainly, by any meaning or standard of the word: the killer directly executed two persons with verbalized premeditated malice.

Summary? Execution.

Some aspects of Judge Dredd's world would come in really [i]really[/i] handy right now, and not just in the US.
[/quote]

It would be really convenient for a crooked cop to have the right (in the eyes of the law) to kill the only witness to their crimes - the alleged perp.

Not all evidence is available immediately. Sometimes it doesn't come to light until the crime scene techs get to the scene.

Things are the way they are for a reason.
1 person likes this

Posted

[/quote]

An eye for an eye. The "insanity" defense is WAY overused. Even if it's temporary. That should be no excuse.