• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:12

actually when figuring out the popularity of somethign like this.. I'd take the percentage. The raw numbers could mean that more people have PCs today or that there are simply more people alive.

Neither are particularly good measures. For instance, businesses are very unlikely to jump on new releases very quickly. If the ratio of corporate owned to individually owned computers changes, it completely skews the data.

In addition, there is a huge number of machines out there that simply don't need to be replaced. They are 'good enough'. It is very natural for sales of PCs to slow down as the market gets saturated. The service life of a PC is much longer now.

#17 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:15

I love the claims about how the PC market was much smaller back in 2007 compared to today as though Vista and 7 were released way back in ancient history or something. :laugh:

#18 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Never??? :rolleyes:

#19 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Neither are particularly good measures. For instance, businesses are very unlikely to jump on new releases very quickly. If the ratio of corporate owned to individually owned computers changes, it completely skews the data.

In addition, there is a huge number of machines out there that simply don't need to be replaced. They are 'good enough'. It is very natural for sales of PCs to slow down as the market gets saturated. The service life of a PC is much longer now.

i'm basically going to promise you that business won't pick up on windows 8.. i doubt schools will either. It'll be cheaper and easier for people to get over the learning curve over the next decade at home than to have to train them at work.. also by then windows 9 or 10 will likely be out and microsoft will have ironed out a lot of the crap.

#20 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 01 January 2013 - 22:48

[Thread closed] This was already discussed at length and was closed here http://www.neowin.ne...maligned-vista/