Photo

Metro apps unable to run in the background?

win8

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:21

Without stronger app approval standards, this problem will only get worse. You can blame the devs all you want but as said, MS is a distant 3rd and can't afford the freedom they allowed desktop developers in this new market space. If they don't tighten up their approvals like Apple did, all this will be for naught.

The handling of 'suspending' apps that aren't in view is tragically stupid on powerful PCs and yet doesn't work well on low power devices either. Congrats MS, you've annoyed both camps.

#17 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:21

Another log for the fire, even MS's own Store app doesn't correctly update in the background (Nor the Nook app). I think we can all agree MS's packaged apps aren't very good, so if they can't use their API cleanly, how exactly do you expect 3rd party to magically implement it consistantly?

#18 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:23

The handling of 'suspending' apps that aren't in view is tragically stupid on powerful PCs and yet doesn't work well on low power devices either. Congrats MS, you've annoyed both camps.

Per-app design - an app can request to run in the background, like the Microsoft Music app, if the dev implements that option.

Without stronger app approval standards, this problem will only get worse.

Correct, the store is full of ****.

#19 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:32

Another log for the fire, even MS's own Store app doesn't correctly update in the background (Nor the Nook app). I think we can all agree MS's packaged apps aren't very good, so if they can't use their API cleanly, how exactly do you expect 3rd party to magically implement it consistantly?

many apps implement these properly,so its a developer problem. case closed.

#20 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44

iHeart music app runs in the background. I use it all the time with no issues.

#21 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48

Indeed - unfortunately, app development is something almost anyone can do. Developing a GOOD application that works properly and doesn't behave poorly is not, which is why most software "stores", whether they be virtual or ones in the physical world selling you packaged boxes and discs, are full of junk with a few gems thrown in. And not always by the party that wrote the platform the app runs on, either - I've seen more than a few "1st party" turd apps in my day, so no, that's not uncommon either.

#22 KevinN206

KevinN206

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:49

I find it hilarious that people are complaining problems on THIRD-PARTY software who aren't implementing the features that Microsoft exposes via public APIs.

Microsoft has a set of API for running background tasks and audio for Metro apps. It's up to the developer to implement the appropriate background tasks for their specific application. It should NOT be mandatory because Microsoft should NOT be able to choose how the developer wants to implement his/her software. Microsoft provided the necessary API and samples for developer to implement. It's the developer's fault for not implementing background audio if the app has audio ability. What if the developer DOES NOT want audio in the background?

Suppose that you make background audio to be mandatory then how do you propose developer deal with games? Do you want audio from game in the background continuing to play? So now you have to make an exception. Or better yet, let the developer decide what is and what is not appropriate for his/her apps.

Reading: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=27411

#23 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:53

Huh? What are you expecting it to do that it doesn't?

#24 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59

This is a case of a poorly developed third party app and a user who seems completely unwilling to lay even a fraction of a percentage of the blame at the developer's feet.

OP has already decided this is Microsoft's fault and Microsoft's responsibility. The developer himself could say "Dude, it's my fault, not Microsoft's", and this guy would probably still ignore him.

#25 cluberti

cluberti

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:01

Full disclosure, I am a Microsoft employee, and I also work in the field in a support role, but this post is of course me, and not "Microsoft".

With the necessities out of the way, I find it's pretty typical that if a developer blames Microsoft for an issue, the customer comes to us and tells us it's our fault because the app vendor said so. However, if I want to resolve the issue and the blame is really at the 3rd party's end, I need to prove it isn't a Microsoft fault, and sometimes, I even need to figure out where the 3rd party has gone wrong if possible - I can't just say the same thing in reverse and get anyone to believe me, even if I'm right. You get used to the double standard.

#26 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:22

Huh? What are you expecting it to do that it doesn't?

Seems like my post was pretty specific on that point. Update correctly in the background, which is apparently asking too much. I can't tell you how many times I hit update then flip to another app and when I come back, its sitting back at the waiting to install screen. So I have to watch it until at least the download bars start on the second batch of apps before I can safely navigate away.

My issues aren't with any specific app (or dev), but a clear pattern than has emerged among them, including 1st party ones developed by MS. Regardless of where you want to place blame, the problem is still there. Additionally, the technical handling of background apps/resources is an area MS needs to keep working on and that is clearly their problem.

So much like Vista, you can blame (rightfully in most cases) the hardware vendors for releasing ****ty drivers, but at the end of the day its MS that will take the PR hit. So considering how much ad money they are dumping lately, it simply seems counterproductive to me to play the blame game.

Apple was meticulous about its early apps because they realized how critical that perception would be. MS gives me the impression that it wants to run a walled garden without taking any responsibility for what is inside it.

#27 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:28

Seems like my post was pretty specific on that point. Update correctly in the background, which is apparently asking too much. I can't tell you how many times I hit update then flip to another app and when I come back, its sitting back at the waiting to install screen. So I have to watch it until at least the download bars start on the second batch of apps before I can safely navigate away.

My issues aren't with any specific app, but a clear pattern than has emerged among them, including 1st party ones developed by MS. Regardless of where you want to place blame, the problem is still there. Additionally, the technical handling of background apps/resources is clearly an area MS needs to keep working on and that is clearly their problem.

No it clearly isn't their problem. They have complete support for running app tasks in the background. They have built an ecosystem where it forces the developer to respect power requirements. That is a good thing.

What is bad is the developer of the app you like hasn't implemented this.

This makes them a poor developer and is making you cry wolf over Microsoft when they have obviously put some serious thought into this.

Go cry to the developer as you have no argument with MS.

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:28

My issues aren't with any specific app, but a clear pattern than has emerged among them, including 1st party ones developed by MS. Regardless of where you want to place blame, the problem is still there. Additionally, the technical handling of background apps/resources is clearly an area MS needs to keep working on and that is clearly their problem.

So much like Vista, you can blame (rightfully in most cases) the hardware vendors for releasing ****ty drivers, but at the end of the day its MS that will take the PR hit. So considering how much ad money they are dumping lately, it simply seems counterproductive to me to play the blame game.

So it's Microsoft's fault you're impatient? I really want to see how you defend this one

#29 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:38

Impatient? Sledge, since you apparently didn't read my post, Microsoft IS the dev. FFS people.

#30 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:47

Impatient? Sledge, since you apparently didn't read my post, Microsoft IS the dev. FFS people.

You were talking about a third party music app that wasn't working in the background.

With the MS Store, why would it need to work in the background? You aren't looking at it then it should be suspended until you are. It frees up resources and cpu cycles by doing so. If you start downloading apps however and push it to the background then it will continue downloading your apps. See what they've done there? They've made the best use of system resources.