Photo

Windows 7 Crashed on Boot. What The Heck is This?

win7

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:09

A co-worker of mine saw the test results and he tells me that my memory timings are way off. Can you guys concur with that?

I have high speed Kingston gaming memory on that PC DD3 1333.

#17 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:11

Unless it's a server or gfx design workstation 8GB is more than enough.

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:12

you might be screwed, with those memory addresses it looks like you have errors on the 1st card and errors on the 2nd card...

but do the single card test to be sure, just pull one, make sure the other remaining one is in the correct slow, reseat it just to be sure its in right... run the test again... if it fails swap them and repeat

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:15

you might be screwed, with those memory addresses it looks like you have errors on the 1st card and errors on the 2nd card...

Which is highly unlikely.

A co-worker of mine saw the test results and he tells me that my memory timings are way off. Can you guys concur with that?

If this is gaming memory the proper timing and speed should be written on the sticks.

#20 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:17

Are you sure the pins are on correctly? :)

Yeah, I've taken it out and tested out a lower rated wattage power supply in place of it, and everything worked. In fact, it's been acting strange since July. See, in my area, we are prone to power outages....a few months back, one happened, and when I tried to power up the old beast, the power light would blink, then shut right off. To remedy, I'd unplug it for about 15 minutes, then plug it back in, which worked for quite a while...up until christmas morning, anyway...so I knew it was coming. This laptop blows that old thing out of the water spec wise anyway, so I'm in no major rush to get it fixed. It's an old P4 machine. If I could afford an upgrade, trust me, I would do that instead of pumping more money into such an ancient system, but it's all I've got desktop wise, and it does what I need it to do, runs 7 like a champ, streams video to my ps3, SOME...and I mean some gaming (It's got an ATI HD3650 512MB AGPx4 video card, lol), but mostly, I leave it on as sort of a NAS. Oh well.

#21 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:18

It's kinda an odd pattern that the failures are showing. Have you tried blowing out the DIMM slots?

#22 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:24

It's kinda an odd pattern that the failures are showing. Have you tried blowing out the DIMM slots?

Good point, GreyWolf....could be some dust build up, perhaps? (I'd rather it be something simple like that than to see you have to fork over some hard earned cash to invest in new memory modules!)

#23 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:00

Maybe reset your bios to fail safe defaults and see if that fixes your timing issues?

Yeah, I've taken it out and tested out a lower rated wattage power supply in place of it, and everything worked. In fact, it's been acting strange since July. See, in my area, we are prone to power outages....a few months back, one happened, and when I tried to power up the old beast, the power light would blink, then shut right off. To remedy, I'd unplug it for about 15 minutes, then plug it back in, which worked for quite a while...up until christmas morning, anyway...so I knew it was coming. This laptop blows that old thing out of the water spec wise anyway, so I'm in no major rush to get it fixed. It's an old P4 machine. If I could afford an upgrade, trust me, I would do that instead of pumping more money into such an ancient system, but it's all I've got desktop wise, and it does what I need it to do, runs 7 like a champ, streams video to my ps3, SOME...and I mean some gaming (It's got an ATI HD3650 512MB AGPx4 video card, lol), but mostly, I leave it on as sort of a NAS. Oh well.

Oh, well that's too bad. You need to get a surge protector and a UPS for yourself. :p

#24 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:55

Well I fixed the latency settings on the BIOS. I also deleted the partitions and re-installed Windows, but this time I installed Windows 8 Pro. So far, so good. Played BF3 for 2 hours and no blue screen of death. It is very weird.

I downloaded a utility that reads the blue screen errors and translates then into an understandable format and apparently the Windows 7 kernel was failing plus a bunch of other stuff. Maybe I caught a virus? I don't know.

#25 omganinja

omganinja

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:21

Well I fixed the latency settings on the BIOS. I also deleted the partitions and re-installed Windows, but this time I installed Windows 8 Pro. So far, so good. Played BF3 for 2 hours and no blue screen of death. It is very weird.

I downloaded a utility that reads the blue screen errors and translates then into an understandable format and apparently the Windows 7 kernel was failing plus a bunch of other stuff. Maybe I caught a virus? I don't know.

You had memory that was faulting, you proved this, why would you think you had a virus? Have you ran memtest since you fixed the timings?

#26 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 04 January 2013 - 13:40

You had memory that was faulting, you proved this, why would you think you had a virus? Have you ran memtest since you fixed the timings?

No. I will do it again when I get home to find if the timings fixed the issue.

#27 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 January 2013 - 13:49

^ You should always take out the RAM and reseat it, before running a memory test.

You can get a false reading if the RAM is poorly seated.

#28 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:49

OK one thing I did notice about my memory is that it is NON-ECC and the BIOS had ECC turned "on" so I turned it "off". I am doing the Memtest Test again to see if I get errors now.

So far...So good.

#29 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:53

Well it seems the ECC setting on the BIOS or the timings correction fixed the issue. MemTest just finished doing the test and it passed.

#30 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:56

yeah.. non-ECC RAM will not work right if set to ECC mode... it's expecting parity checking and not getting it

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!