Photo

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 15 January 2013 - 17:48

Thought we already went over this watching on your couch thing?

Get yourself a player, they can range from anywhere from <100 to few hundred. I picked up my popcorn A110 many years ago.. (just looked up the info in my gmail, orded on 2/13/09 -- so going on 4 years I have had it, works like a Champ, has played everything I have thrown at it for $215. Such devices can be had for much cheaper these days.

Shoot you want a cheap way to do it - get yourself a raspberry pi for $35 - lots of options for a remote
http://lifehacker.co...35-raspberry-pi

I can watch any video file on my server on any of 3 tvs in the house. Using the 1 popcorn hour, simple wiring av rec and component switch that runs my many inputs to the other TVs. I can watch either of 2 dvrs, my popcorn or my vhs/dvd/recorder - which have never done actually - its outdated ;) etc on any TV in the house. Simple flip of switch to what I want to watch where.

Now the wife won't me spend the money on super remote I would like to get. But just using simple RF extender that is size of battery you put in your remote as battery I can control my popcorn from any room in the house, same goes for my dvrs.

No need to put any sort of disk in anything.. Be it I want to watch movie or video of my grand daughter - click click there you go menu driven listing of every video I have, every picture and my full music library. All from the comfort of my couch ;)

I know you don't want to buy a new TV, or might not even want to spend the money on a player -- but hey get yourself a raspberry pi for $35 and there you go.. Your in this century for how to watch video ;)

While a great suggestion, is definitely leaning towards the pricey/tech-savy side.

He could easily get a cheap upgrade for "everything"

http://www.frys.com/product/7275763

:punk:

(plug to TV, stream from PC ... done)

#47 OP DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:19

While a great suggestion, is definitely leaning towards the pricey/tech-savy side.

:punk:

Whoa! Are they THAT cheap?? Where have I been?

#48 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:23

Ok, here is what I would recommend. I myself do almost all of it. :)
  • Convert all your videos and movies using a program called Handbrake. Some of the options in it can seem a bit daunting at first, but they are actually very easy to master. There are numerous guides online as well.
  • Either get a network player like Roku, WD, Popcorn Hour etc, or build your own HTPC (home theatre pc) using old parts and run something like XBMC (xbox media center) on it.
  • For backups, burn all your files to DVD / Blu-ray or just dump them on to a hard disk. Either way, I would recommend you keep an offsite copy of it as well.
  • If you have a high speed internet connection, upload all your videos to the cloud. I would suggest Amazon Glacier. The pricing is dirt cheap even if you have tons of data. You can also send them your HDD full of stuff and they will put on their servers. Another option for cloud backup is Carbonite which charges $59 a year for unlimited storage

#49 hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

GFX n00b

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:27

Whoa! Are they THAT cheap?? Where have I been?

plus look at the formats it plays :)

you'll be saving that extra mp4 encoding time/work and play your files directly as MPG2

#50 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 92
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:57

Exactly!!! Which was my listing player <100 - but yeah that is even cheaper than pi.. There you go, that is in the budget for pretty much anyone - cheaper than even a cheap dvd player ;)