Should I go with Win 8 or wait for Blue ("8.1")?

Hey y'all.

I've been thinking of upgrading to Win 8, but I have heard numerous reviews on here.

Then I heard about Blue, an update to Win 8, which would have an updated kernel - NT 6.3.

The problem is, I don't want to turn down a great deal of Win 8 Pro at 40 bucks (until the 31st of this month), but at the same time I keep wondering if Blue would be avail to Win 7 or Win 8 at a discounted price.

So, is Blue worth the wait? I have Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, btw.

If you're happy with what you have, why change? I'd wait it out and see what happens. It's unlikely the cheap deals are going to vanish, so you'll probably get a good deal in the future if you want to switch!

• Like 1

You're better off paying the discount price for 8 right now. Blue will cost money or it won't as an upgrade.

If you don't: If "Blue" is going to cost money, you'll have to pay for Windows 8 + Blue, which will probably be the full retail price at whatever time Blue comes out. If "Blue" is free as an upgrade, you'll still have to pay the retail price at the time that it is released. In either case, you won't benefit from the upgrade pricing that exists now.

Also, this isn't very useful with N = 1, but as far as upgrade pricing goes:

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16832116713

You're better off paying the discount price for 8 right now. Blue will cost money or it won't as an upgrade.

If you don't: If "Blue" is going to cost money, you'll have to pay for Windows 8 + Blue, which will probably be the full retail price at whatever time Blue comes out. If "Blue" is free as an upgrade, you'll still have to pay the retail price at the time that it is released. In either case, you won't benefit from the upgrade pricing that exists now.

Agree.

just download the upgrade from the web, and don't install it yet. Just 'park' or burn the ISO, so you have a cheap W8 DVD lying there for installation.

And when "Blue" comes out, you have an instant upgrade path!

The MS offer is too cheap to pass, get it! ;-)

• Like 1

I haven't found much in 8 that justifies my upgrade, if anything it makes things harder (unless you're on a tablet, it works well with fingers, just not mice).

I can't imagine Blue doing much for the ui, ms have made their minds up and its touch all the way.

Basically I would say keep 7, if you don't have a tablet then wait for win 9 and hope ms change their direction a bit.

Good points - especially Dutchie's.

Okay thanks!

Take the plunge while the offer is still available! No one knows anything about the so called "Blue" release so don't let it get in the way of what you want. Windows 8 is a great OS and I strongly advise you upgrade on the fronts of security, stability, performance and many improvements to the UI including the new start screen, task manager and file explorer/copier!

I haven't found much in 8 that justifies my upgrade, if anything it makes things harder (unless you're on a tablet, it works well with fingers, just not mice).

I can't imagine Blue doing much for the ui, ms have made their minds up and its touch all the way.

Basically I would say keep 7, if you don't have a tablet then wait for win 9 and hope ms change their direction a bit.

well i don't have a touch screen and i like win8 over 7,I am an avid desk top user "power user" it is so much easier to get your fav programs with a mouse click than scrolling up to start button and and scrolling through programs that you don't use

• Like 2

For all its faults (and it does have a lot of them, mostly small), Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in every way. If you're a stickler for tradition you might object to the lack of the start menu, but hey, there's an app for that.

Windows 8 boots faster. The desktop mode is more functional. The compatibility troubleshooter works better. If Windows 8 didn't have Metro in it at all, and were just a classic UI, it would be well worth upgrading to for $40. As it is, Windows 8 is that plus more - if you don't like Metro, don't use it. If you like it for some things, and not others, switch between the two (it could be better integrated, but again, it's not a step back from Windows 7, so it's more an issue of imagining how Windows 8 could be better, rather than comparing it to something else).

I'd say just go for it.

As for the faults, I really don't want Microsoft thinking that we're fond of the walled garden.

well i don't have a touch screen and i like win8 over 7,I am an avid desk top user "power user" it is so much easier to get your fav programs with a mouse click than scrolling up to start button and and scrolling through programs that you don't use

I am more than happy to learn, how do you get to your fav programs in Win 8? and how do you get to the ones that you dont use all the time but know where they are.

I'd stick with 7. Theres no need to go to 8 at all unless you are on a tablet.

there's plenty of reasons. as I said, if windows 8 were only the legacy desktop, it would be worth upgrading to. people who say it's only for tablets simply don't know what they're talking about

I am more than happy to learn, how do you get to your fav programs in Win 8? and how do you get to the ones that you dont use all the time but know where they are.

Imagine if you had to launch all your applications from the desktop instead of your start menu, and you have a habit of running apps in full screen so you have to minimise first.

I upgraded to 8 the day it came out, and I've been very displeased with it on my desktop so far.

I think it says something when Windows 8 is on sale for a 1/3rd of what Vista was sold for, and yet has a slower adoption rate...

Windows Blue isn't guaranteed to be any better, either. Half the logic of this thread so far has been on the assumption that you will HAVE to buy a new Windows product eventually and a cost analysis. If Windows 8 continues to sell slowly, Windows Blue could be even cheaper as the Windows desktop market declines with time.

I am using Windows 8 RTM since MSDN availability. Frankly for me it's still very very buggy compared to Windows 7. Things like saving system image to network location does not work which did perfectly in Windows 7. The new task manager reports wrong CPU frequencies. My music stops playing when screen turns off. Also few other unwelcome changes like missing WiFi manager increase my frustration.

You will discover your own favourite set of annoying things. If you are prepared to live with them, upgrade.

You should wait for blue and see how that shapes up. If not then stay with your current OS till Windows 9 gets released and ask same questions :p

Pick up 8 before it's too late to get the savings. dual boot it with Win7. Personally, I really like 8. I like 7. But I've not used 7 hardly at all since I got 8 pro. You're choice. Make it. or don't, and that's still a choice made. lol

just download the upgrade from the web, and don't install it yet. Just 'park' or burn the ISO, so you have a cheap W8 DVD lying there for installation.

And when "Blue" comes out, you have an instant upgrade path!

The MS offer is too cheap to pass, get it! ;-)

Actually you not only have to buy it before January 31st 2013 but you also have to activate it by then too :p

Actually you not only have to buy it before January 31st 2013 but you also have to activate it by then too :p

May be I am wrong but as I interpret, once you buy the upgrade and you receive the key, it can be activated anytime in future and not limited to before 31st Jan. The $40 and $14 offers however do expire on that day.

Bull....Don't listen to guys like these...Win * is better than Win7 in everyway...

You can't really go wrong for $40

I got it and i'm using it on a 2 year old laptop without touch and it's still great.

Maybe Blue will be free for Win8 users, who knows?

This. I decided to go against everything and upgraded. Surely those praising it for being the next best thing aren't all mental.

Well. They are. The OS is a friggin mess. Start 8 makes it usable.