Photo

Should I go with Win 8 or wait for Blue ("8.1")?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Luke777

Luke777

Neowinian

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:33

Upgrade to windows 7, yes 7

#17 AeonicVision

AeonicVision

Neowinian

• Phone: iOS 7.1.2

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:41

I upgraded to 8 the day it came out, and I've been very displeased with it on my desktop so far.
I think it says something when Windows 8 is on sale for a 1/3rd of what Vista was sold for, and yet has a slower adoption rate...

Windows Blue isn't guaranteed to be any better, either. Half the logic of this thread so far has been on the assumption that you will HAVE to buy a new Windows product eventually and a cost analysis. If Windows 8 continues to sell slowly, Windows Blue could be even cheaper as the Windows desktop market declines with time.

#18 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:48

I am using Windows 8 RTM since MSDN availability. Frankly for me it's still very very buggy compared to Windows 7. Things like saving system image to network location does not work which did perfectly in Windows 7. The new task manager reports wrong CPU frequencies. My music stops playing when screen turns off. Also few other unwelcome changes like missing WiFi manager increase my frustration.

You will discover your own favourite set of annoying things. If you are prepared to live with them, upgrade.

You should wait for blue and see how that shapes up. If not then stay with your current OS till Windows 9 gets released and ask same questions :p

#19 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:59

Pick up 8 before it's too late to get the savings. dual boot it with Win7. Personally, I really like 8. I like 7. But I've not used 7 hardly at all since I got 8 pro. You're choice. Make it. or don't, and that's still a choice made. lol

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 January 2013 - 20:04

just download the upgrade from the web, and don't install it yet. Just 'park' or burn the ISO, so you have a cheap W8 DVD lying there for installation.
And when "Blue" comes out, you have an instant upgrade path!

The MS offer is too cheap to pass, get it! ;-)

Actually you not only have to buy it before January 31st 2013 but you also have to activate it by then too :p

#21 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35

Actually you not only have to buy it before January 31st 2013 but you also have to activate it by then too :p

May be I am wrong but as I interpret, once you buy the upgrade and you receive the key, it can be activated anytime in future and not limited to before 31st Jan. The $40 and $14 offers however do expire on that day.

#22 yardmanflex

yardmanflex

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:49

I'd stick with 7. Theres no need to go to 8 at all unless you are on a tablet.

Bull....Don't listen to guys like these...Win * is better than Win7 in everyway...

#23 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:13

You can't really go wrong for $40
I got it and i'm using it on a 2 year old laptop without touch and it's still great.

Maybe Blue will be free for Win8 users, who knows?

#24 Nomad_

Nomad_

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:50

I downloaded the Windows 8 Enterprise 90-day evaluation ISO and installed it on my Acer laptop, I have been using it for a few months now. I am NOT going to spend $40.00 to upgrade any of my computers to this Irritating mess called Windows 8.

http://msdn.microsof...r/jj554510.aspx

#25 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:00

I'd stick with 7. Theres no need to go to 8 at all unless you are on a tablet.

This. I decided to go against everything and upgraded. Surely those praising it for being the next best thing aren't all mental.

Well. They are. The OS is a friggin mess. Start 8 makes it usable.

#26 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:03

Bull....Don't listen to guys like these...Win * is better than Win7 in everyway...

Except the whole UI part of it.. which is how you interact with and use the OS.. but I mean.. yea no. not important right?

#27 ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:29

The best thing is to give it a try. I installed the Enterprise version on my win7 Tablet to try and the touch experience was OK, and thought that I wouldn't dare to use it on my laptop. But then I decided to install the Pro on my laptop and I like it. Honestly, touch isn't necessary with win8 unless you think so.

#28 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:24

Except the whole UI part of it.. which is how you interact with and use the OS.. but I mean.. yea no. not important right?

Have to be a little dense to not just be able to stick in desktop mode the whole time. I was running the CP and RP on a netbook with 1024x576 resolution - there was no way to use Metro at all. It worked beautifully. If you don't like Metro, don't use it. Windows 8 is still an improvement over Windows 7.

#29 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:26

Have to be a little dense to not just be able to stick in desktop mode the whole time. I was running the CP and RP on a netbook with 1024x576 resolution - there was no way to use Metro at all. It worked beautifully. If you don't like Metro, don't use it. Windows 8 is still an improvement over Windows 7.

Hi Migo,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Here's the deal though. I don't give a **** what your experience in Windows 8 was. Just because you liked it, doesn't mean my opinion is automatically going to change to me liking it. It really is that simple.

I have it, and I ****ing hate it. This no use Metro bull**** is exactly that. Anyone who says you don't need to use it is talking through the hole in their ass. Metro is the biggest part of the OS.

#30 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:47

Aside from the what-is-quickly-becoming-tiring debate over Windows 8 vs 7, +warwagon, I was under the impression that it was only the Media Center Pack that had to be activated by Jan 31. Do you have a link with further documentation concerning having to activate Windows 8 by Jan 31? I have 4 unused keys I may or may not use.

Thanks.