iceland light breeze personal names register special committee approval

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 13:51

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) — A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

In Blaer's case, her mother said she learned the name wasn't on the register only after the priest who baptized the child later informed her he had mistakenly allowed it.

"I had no idea that the name wasn't on the list, the famous list of names that you can choose from," said Bjork Eidsdottir, adding she knew a Blaer whose name was accepted in 1973. This time, the panel turned it down on the grounds that the word Blaer takes a masculine article, despite the fact that it was used for a female character in a novel by Iceland's revered Nobel Prize-winning author Halldor Laxness.

Given names are even more significant in tiny Iceland that in many other countries: Everyone is listed in the phone book by their first names. Surnames are based on a parent's given name. Even the president, Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, is addressed simply as Olafur.

Blaer is identified as "Stulka" — or "girl" — on all her official documents, which has led to years of frustration as she has had to explain the whole story at the bank, renewing her passport and dealing with the country's bureaucracy.

Her mother is hoping that will change with her suit, the first time someone has challenged a names committee decision in court.

more

#2 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:47

That stulka...

#3 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:49

Pretty soon numbers only....

#4 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,428 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:51

It would make tracking people easier

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:52

^ And eliminate ... :shiftyninja:

#6 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,679 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:53

Honestly, I wish my country had a list of approved names for children. People have been giving their kids stupid names for years, with no repercussions. The latest retarded name that I have seen in the news is "Hashtag". I really can't understand how that is not considered child abuse.

#7 insanelyapple

insanelyapple

Neowinian

• 837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:56

Then i hope that Number Six will be really hot <3

#8 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,256 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:56

Only in..... err Iceland

#9 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,428 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 16:58

Honestly, I wish my country had a list of approved names for children. People have been giving their kids stupid names for years, with no repercussions. The latest retarded name that I have seen in the news is "Hashtag". I really can't understand how that is not considered child abuse.

Just a name, they are making a bigger deal out of it than is necessary, I mean I know spacer isn't your real name nor does it change anything that I may or may not know or assume about you, it's just a name you go by

#10 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,520 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:03

Dovalkin

#11 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,572 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:03

I really hate these parents when they are out in public, just have to repeatedly yell their kid's stupid name, as if it is soooo special and want everyone to know it's Jasmine. :rolleyes:

#12 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,008 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:12

numbers and letters are the same, only your interpretation separates them, a letter or a number is only a combination of collection of directional lines and curves in which you are taught to identify with. To a person who has never seen them, they are infact still just swooshes of pen comparable to your eyes if you seen hieroglyphics.

#13 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,428 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:13

numbers and letters are the same, only your interpretation separates them, a letter or a number is only a combination of collection of directional lines and curves in which you are taught to identify with. To a person who has never seen them, they are infact still just swooshes of pen comparable to your eyes if you seen hieroglyphs.

Numbers allow for unique identifiers while regular names won't accommodate it

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:23

I figured it was because Apple had taken out a patent on her name...

#15 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,399 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:27

I don't see why there's a big deal over a name.