iceland light breeze personal names register special committee approval

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:31

Honestly, I wish my country had a list of approved names for children. People have been giving their kids stupid names for years, with no repercussions. The latest retarded name that I have seen in the news is "Hashtag". I really can't understand how that is not considered child abuse.

I guess cause it's just a name and doesnt matter

#17 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:37

numbers and letters are the same, only your interpretation separates them, a letter or a number is only a combination of collection of directional lines and curves in which you are taught to identify with. To a person who has never seen them, they are infact still just swooshes of pen comparable to your eyes if you seen hieroglyphics.

Well, that's theoretically true, however humans are more than dumb machines and have emotions, so a different name might have a big meaning to you and others.
I could go into detail, but I guess if you don't see that yourself there's not much to discuss, but more to disagree about.

I definitely do see how numbers could be thought to be humiliating or degrading in a way.
Numbers don't have "personality" like names do.

I don't see why there's a big deal over a name.

I do, however not with this name.
It's not embarassing, so just let it pass.

I guess cause it's just a name and doesnt matter

Pretty wrong. It matters to many people. Speak for yourself, but I don't want to be a victim of an irresponsible parent who thinks a stupid name is okay to go with and blow a child's life.

Names also work on subconscious levels, so a good name might give you better job, love, etc opportunities.

Glassed Silver:mac

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,497 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:49

lots of people I knew named harmony, charity, and faith were some of the biggest bitches I've ever met.... seriously.... this one chick named harmony at school freakin hated babes and animals and was a general agony to be around.

#19 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,366 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:10

a friend of mine's wife works as an admin at a middle school here, and there's a kid named S..thead, and the mother and kid say it as Shi Thead, or almost like Shuh Theed...

honestly, no joke

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,101 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:21

Pretty wrong. It matters to many people. Speak for yourself, but I don't want to be a victim of an irresponsible parent who thinks a stupid name is okay to go with and blow a child's life.

Damn right.. The name my parents saddled me with caused me an ENTIRE CHILDHOOD of being bullied by other kids. :( Even my teachers did it...

#21 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,099 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:34

Only in..... err Iceland

At least that country has guts. They fired their whole government and jailed the criminal bankers.

#22 logicwin

logicwin

Neowinian

• 212 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:47

a friend of mine's wife works as an admin at a middle school here, and there's a kid named S..thead, and the mother and kid say it as Shi Thead, or almost like Shuh Theed...

honestly, no joke

http://youtu.be/r_Ua8iOR0g8

#23 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,232 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 03 January 2013 - 18:55

if they are a teenager just wait a few more years, become an adult, move out of the country and change your name then come back problem solved. :p

#24 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,004 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:00

some of my US freinds think my daughters name is odd for a white girl... Destiny. I never thought anything bad of it but i guess its the 2nd most hated name on a couple lists I seen.

#25 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,252 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:17

some of my US freinds think my daughters name is odd for a white girl... Destiny. I never thought anything bad of it but i guess its the 2nd most hated name on a couple lists I seen.

see a name shouldn't be country or race chained.... if I want to name a white girl Moesha then who really cares? but in the USA we think that is a "black girls name"....

#26 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:45

I know a guy that is obsessed with FF7. He named his kid Cloud. :/

#27 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:57

I know a guy that is obsessed with FF7. He named his kid Cloud. :/

Better than Sephiroth, I actually saw a couple name their baby that.

#28 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,252 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 19:57

I know someone who named their kids Tyerod and Axelrod.... ugh... creative naming shouldn't mean naming after car parts

and a girl named Clydoloris.... seriously..... read the name fast and tell me where they got that name from.....

#29 Paramore™

Paramore™

Neowinian

• 799 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:03

Her mother looks young and hot.