Sony patents pre-owned games block

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 22:15

They can? We have strict DRM, completely unknown future around whether or not we can carry our games to new hardware (are all my PSN games playable on PS4? who knows....), Sony set publishing and licensing fees on the platform (even for patches due to bandwidth). Sony control and run the whole network and if you don't like their digital policies and/or can't afford to pay them what they tell you, tough luck. You do not have that issue, at least to that extent, on a PC.

Konami wouldn't even release an Xbox 360 patch for Silent Hill HD saying MS charge too much.

My point is sure FIFA/COD will be there day 1 digitally, but the PC market is absolutely light years ahead of consoles for allowing developers (especially indie) to distribute their games and updates as they see fit (DRM free, through torrents, for whatever price they want, ect).

Consoles are closed platforms, and as long as they remain that are consoles, if they ever become open they essentially become a PC under your TV.

They can still 'be around forever'. There's nothing stopping devs from releasing digitally anymore instead of limited runs or cutting off supply when things aren't selling.

The other stuff you mentioned is on a completely different track.

#17 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:25

I read this on IGN before, I actually got an email from them about "breaking news" and one of the comments on there pointed out that Sony actually did the same exact thing with the PS3 before it was released.

Here is a forum post about that time.

Here is a link to the patent as well.

So yeah, I have to believe this is much to do about nothing, as I truly cannot imagine Sony would be this stupid. I honestly would strongly consider passing on the PS4 if this wounds up being the case, as much of the games I have played this generation have been rentals from GameFly. That is literally the one and only reason I am against it. I never modded by PS3, so I am not worried about that aspect of things, I am however deeply concerned that I would no longer be able to play rented games.

So I just cannot see this ever becoming a reality.

#18 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:35

Before everyone has their periods: patenting something doesn't always mean you are going to use it. Sometimes it is just to stop competitors from patenting it first. Big companies patent a ****-load of stuff all the time.

#19 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:49

Just don't buy Sony **** and you won't have the issue.

#20 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:36

What a wise comment.
Unfortunately often enough the reality is that people sometimes have to decide on a system due to exclusive game titles.

Little example:
If you're big into Anime games, there's no point getting an Xbox.
A Wii or PS3 will suit you much better.
Depending a little more what further kinds of games or what titles precisely you're going to have to buy a certain console unless you want a system you basically don't get a reasonable use out of.

Glassed Silver:ios

#21 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:47

What a wise comment.
Unfortunately often enough the reality is that people sometimes have to decide on a system due to exclusive game titles.

Little example:
If you're big into Anime games, there's no point getting an Xbox.
A Wii or PS3 will suit you much better.
Depending a little more what further kinds of games or what titles precisely you're going to have to buy a certain console unless you want a system you basically don't get a reasonable use out of.

You say you have to do it as if people have to play games to live. If those people want to whinge, and then buy it anyway, screw them.

#22 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:53

Until other manufactures see the Sony example and implement their own anti-second hand system.

Consumers have every right to express what kind of products they want. Whether companies make the things people want, or simply tell them what they want, is up to them.

I've never understood this idea we're all supposed to keep our opinions to ourselves.

#23 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:19

Until other manufactures see the Sony example and implement their own anti-second hand system.

Consumers have every right to express what kind of products they want. Whether companies make the things people want, or simply tell them what they want, is up to them.

I've never understood this idea we're all supposed to keep our opinions to ourselves.

The idea stems from being not into niches and being too easy to please I guess.
Easy as in you let yourself get screwed over too easily or don't mind rejecting things for political issues.

I'll be the last one to say ignore any option of boycot, but if you can't get behind the concept of criticizing companies for being a**es and all the rest like exclusives limiting your choices of systems severely, well...

Also last time I checked people actually do need games to live a happy life. Not all of them maybe, but some do very much need their regular gaming.
Not in the same way like they need air and food, but still important enough to be happy.

But sure, happiness is just luxury and we're not entitled to getting things our way bla bla...
We're allowed to criticize though! :p

#24 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:03

I remember this:

http://www.joystiq.c...lay-used-games/