MSI Radeon 7770 issue

Hey there guys, since posting a while back about a PC I was building (It still runs great!), I have built another PC (Similar spec) to my first, however I seem to be having a little bit of an issue.

Everything runs fine on the PC and technically there are no issues, however there is a bit of a problem with the TV I am hooking it up to (Through the HDMI port on the GPU).

The TV is a Samsung LE32B450C4W (http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&tok=TLxLKQ5ZXm24hMLN8MuuDA&pq=samsung+32+inch+tv+list+wiki&cp=13&gs_id=2nc&xhr=t&q=samsung+le32b450c4w&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k&bpcl=40096503&biw=1360&bih=658&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15308784485081862486&sa=X&ei=PcPlUMTxA8en0QWqhIHQCg&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q8wIwAg).

The issue seems to be finding a resolution to actually work, as I tried every possible resolution option available in Windows 8, however the screen always looks not only extremely blurry (To the point it is unreadable), but also has large black borders around the picture.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for things to try. My current build (Radeon 6850) with the exact same TV runs at 1360x768 absolutely great. I first thought it may just be the TV, but I have tried the system with both TV's and the same problem persists.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Open CCC, find the "Scaling" option on the left under Digital flat panels, select the HDMI display and slide the slider up to fill the HDMI screen

Thanks for your help! This sorted the problem straight away and allows the screen to run in 1360x768 perfectly!

A little bit off-topic, but oh well:

I was just wondering if it's possible to downgrade Windows 8 (not Pro) to Windows 7 Home at all? I won't go into why Windows 8 had to be installed, but after using it for a few hours, I really think my brother will dislike it a lot. I could just buy a new Windows 7 Home Premium serial as I already have the Upgrade disc (From my own build), however after a bit of googling some people seem to say it is possible, while others say you need WIndows 8 Pro?

I was just wondering if it's possible to downgrade Windows 8 (not Pro) to Windows 7 Home at all? I won't go into why Windows 8 had to be installed, but after using it for a few hours, I really think my brother will dislike it a lot. I could just buy a new Windows 7 Home Premium serial as I already have the Upgrade disc (From my own build), however after a bit of googling some people seem to say it is possible, while others say you need WIndows 8 Pro?

Start a new topic about this in the Windows section; better yet, search for it on the forums. This is a really common question.

a tip that helps with HDMI is make sure the tv is turned on and connected to the computer when you boot the computer up, this will cause the port to auto-scale and adjust so the image fits and looks perfectly

also with this, what is it you/he doesn't like about Windows 8? if it's just the start screen you could always get Start8, it'd be a lot cheaper than buying a new Windows 7 serial that's for sure

Start a new topic about this in the Windows section; better yet, search for it on the forums. This is a really common question.

Will do, thanks.

a tip that helps with HDMI is make sure the tv is turned on and connected to the computer when you boot the computer up, this will cause the port to auto-scale and adjust so the image fits and looks perfectly

also with this, what is it you/he doesn't like about Windows 8? if it's just the start screen you could always get Start8, it'd be a lot cheaper than buying a new Windows 7 serial that's for sure

Since upgrading the graphics drivers and tuning the settings in the Catalyst Control Center, the problem no longer persists.

In general, it's mainly the panel interface. Ideally I just want it to 'feel' as much like Windows 7 as possible. Also, he is mainly going to be using the PC for gaming, and I have heard a lot of problems with Steam and Steam games running under Windows 8.

Also, he is mainly going to be using the PC for gaming, and I have heard a lot of problems with Steam and Steam games running under Windows 8.

don't believe everything you hear, steam runs just fine in Windows 8 and 99% of steams games run just fine if not a little better for some as well

in other words, try it out yourself and see if your games work or not

don't believe everything you hear, steam runs just fine in Windows 8 and 99% of steams games run just fine if not a little better for some as well

in other words, try it out yourself and see if your games work or not

Yeah your right, I will have to get it downloaded and setup for him and try some games out to see how it runs. That Start8 looks good too, and I will probably buy it seeing as its only a couple of pounds for the basic version. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so unfortunately it looks like im going to have to downgrade to Windows 7 for him. A lot of things don't seem to work correctly and he also has a lot of old legacy applications and executables that don't work at all. There is also a few prominent bugs with Flash and Firefox which has put him off the PC already. :(