Atoms Reach Record Temperature, Colder than Absolute Zero

Absolute zero is often thought to be the coldest temperature possible. But now researchers show they can achieve even lower temperatures for a strange realm of "negative temperatures."

Oddly, another way to look at these negative temperatures is to consider them hotter than infinity, researchers added.

This unusual advance could lead to new engines that could technically be more than 100 percent efficient, and shed light on mysteries such as dark energy, the mysterious substance that is apparently pulling our universe apart.

http://www.space.com...olute-zero.html

:cat:

Goes round and round in circles. If the temperature becomes negative on an absolute scale, then it's "hotter" than anything with a positive temperature.

Energy will flow from the body with the Negative temperature to the one having the positive.

Like PacMan...you disappear off one side - boundary, and emerge from the other.

Misleading title. As a user posted, they have not gone past the absolute zero, as it is impossible. Negative temperature is actually hotter than positive temperature.

Misleading title. As a user posted, they have not gone past the absolute zero, as it is impossible. Negative temperature is actually hotter than positive temperature.

It's more a matter of how you define temperature. For most people, temperature is a measure of heat (i.e. energy). But for the scientists / physicists, it's a measure of energy and entropy.

• Like 1

It's more a matter of how you define temperature. For most people, temperature is a measure of heat (i.e. energy). But for the scientists / physicists, it's a measure of energy and entropy.

Yeah, I know they are using the energy-entropy relation. That's why I mentioned that the title "colder than absolute zero" is misleading. Because in the scale of coldness to hotness, negative temps come after infinite positive temperature.