Photo

Is Time Travel Possible? Paul Davies Says "Yes".

time travel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Silver47

Silver47

Neowinian

• 328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:21

Traveling back in time isn't impossible, just incredibly hard as you have to move all matter in the universe to its previous point in existence. However that would also effect you, so even if you went back in time within your own life time, you'll be the same age as you had been and completely forgotten you went back in time.

Laws of conservation are a bugger.

#17 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,616 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:23

Just because something seems impossible doesn't make it so.
I'm not saying I can prove you wrong, but in 1896 the Wright brothers would of thought it was "impossible" to put man in Space, let alone cross the Atlantic ocean.

You're comparing three dimensional travel to not-even-a-dimensional travel. While it's presumptuous to say what the Wright brothers would have thought possible in their day, even the most fantastical forms of travel are at least plausible when they're within dimensions that have already welcomed travel (XYZ). There has, however, never--ever--been any observable evidence, in all of mankind's recorded history and science, that time is a freely traversible dimension.

Traveling back in time isn't impossible, just incredibly hard as you have to move all matter in the universe to its previous point in existence.

That would just be duplicating the past in the future. If I slapped you yesterday and slapped you again today, I didn't send your face back in time.

#18 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,922 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:23

there should be evidence in the past of people from the future coming back. However, there is no evidence of it.

Oh really?

:p

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:31

I don't think backwards time travel is possible. Forward, theoretically yes (Just basic relativity). if in an infinite amount of time from now that backwards time travel is possible, there should be evidence in the past of people from the future coming back. However, there is no evidence of it.

I once worked out why it must be impossible to time travel either way, a similar theory to yours, if it was possible to move back in time, we would already know, and the fact that we don't means it has never been done in the future, which also means, either there is no such thing as the future (yet, only now), or we never work out how to move in time, .... something along those lines

(Disclaimer: The above is a vague memory of a very intelligent thought, back in time)

#20 Silver47

Silver47

Neowinian

• 328 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:36

That would just be duplicating the past in the future. If I slapped you yesterday and slapped you again today, I didn't send your face back in time.

The first part is my point, second part misses it completely .Time is just a measurement of the movement of matter (and also energy), however everything in the universe is moving. Using your example, we would have to move everything back to the point you slapped me. But the process would of also changed our brains to that point as well thus forgetting that you slapped me again the next day followed by going back in time. Think the film Galaxy Quest with the Omega 13 if you ever saw it.

#21 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:37

I only have one thing to say: Prove it

You could prove it to yourself.

Develop your OOBE ability and travel to various times.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0809245604

http://www.amazon.co...out of the body

It is only the accepted Beliefs and mental barriers that keeps you locked into this present Time.

Be daring -- accept the challenge. ;)

#22 Stup0t

Stup0t

Neowinian

• 452 posts
  • Phone: HTC HD7

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:42

So with the gravity time thing... here is a thought.

If you move away from the earth time moves faster.... not by much but its been shown by two clocks one on the earth and one in space.

So If you fly towards the centre of our galaxy which is just a massive black hole then time should slow down for you and earth time speed up. Or have I had too much jack :)

#23 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:48

You could prove it to yourself.

Develop your OOBE ability and travel to various times.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0809245604

http://www.amazon.co...out+of+the+body

It is only the accepted Beliefs and mental barriers that keeps you locked into this present Time.

Be daring -- accept the challenge. ;)

I once believed, I believed so much that all other beliefs were pushed out of my brain, I was left with only 1 truly amazing 100% brain capacity belief, so I climbed up on the kitchen bench, I stuck my arms out in-front of me and I jumped..

To be fair, I did fly for a short while, but the landing was less comfortable that I believed it would be...

I left the kitchen with the understanding that believing is not really everything

#24 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:49

Oh really?

:p

Thanks for reminding us of the Hum post :p :

A Case of Time Travel ?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!