How to output via HDMI instead of VGA?

hdmi vga

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:07

In the AMD vision control centre it says I've got 12.10 provided by AMD, but that's the default set up that it came with from Lenovo.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:09

oh, good to know Levono uses the official drivers right off the bat unlike some of the other OEMs :)

well I guess that throws that thought out of the water then

#18 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:19

just tried setting win+p to second display only. still goes to vga on waking up from sleep.

#19 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:55

Having one of the AMD integrated GPU/CPU's myself, I literally plugged in HDMI to the motherboard (which came with an HDMI port) and away I went. If your HDMI is not functioning properly it's due to one of a few things...

1.) Something is incorrectly setup in your BIOS (as the HDMI port is provided by your motherboard. You should make sure your BIOS settings indicate the system should use the integrated graphics from the GPU/CPU)
2.) AMD drivers for your integrated GPU are not functioning properly/corrupt/etc. (Try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers)
3.) Or it's defective.

Do you have a television you can plug into using HDMI? See how it function while connected to that. If it works fine, it's most likely an issue with your monitor. If it continues to misbehave, it is definitely your system.

#20 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:44

I do have a TV I could plug in, but that would be a fair amount of effort lugging everything over. I'll try that if everyone's out of ideas.

#21 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59

I do have a TV I could plug in, but that would be a fair amount of effort lugging everything over. I'll try that if everyone's out of ideas.

Sure...however I'd want to know if it's the machine or the monitor pretty quick. Especially if I have to RMA something. I wouldn't wait too long ;) You really don't need to take "everything". The tower, the HDMI cable and the power cable for the tower and mouse/keyboard? You don't need anything else. All you really need to do is turn it on. If the TV pops on and displays, fantastic. If you want to wait for it to auto turn off the TV or go to sleep and then wake it to see if it jumps back, even better.

#22 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:07

OK, so I observed the scanning process while the system was waking up. The monitor attempted to get a signal via HDMI, but there simply wasn't one.

It would appear it's a Windows 8 issue, as someone else is having the same issue, except only with Windows 8, and not Windows 7. I think I'll just put up with it. I'd have to spend a couple hundred dollars more to get a remotely comparable system with DVI (or buy a video card, which will probably run into a CPU bottleneck, and I'd need to spend more for a system with even a Core-i3).

#23 kaffra

kaffra

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:07

I'd have to spend a couple hundred dollars more to get a remotely comparable system with DVI (or buy a video card, which will probably run into a CPU bottleneck, and I'd need to spend more for a system with even a Core-i3).

if you want to connect to monitor dvi, a simple hdmi - dvi adapter/cable will work.

#24 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:56

OK, so I observed the scanning process while the system was waking up. The monitor attempted to get a signal via HDMI, but there simply wasn't one.

It would appear it's a Windows 8 issue, as someone else is having the same issue, except only with Windows 8, and not Windows 7. I think I'll just put up with it. I'd have to spend a couple hundred dollars more to get a remotely comparable system with DVI (or buy a video card, which will probably run into a CPU bottleneck, and I'd need to spend more for a system with even a Core-i3).

My HTPC (the one with the integrated graphics CPU in it) is running on Windows 8. I don't have this issue, at least not on my TV.

#25 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:19

AMD or Intel integrated graphics? Perhaps I should have said AMD + Windows 8 issue?

#26 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:06

AMD or Intel integrated graphics? Perhaps I should have said AMD + Windows 8 issue?

AMD

#27 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:39

Huh. Hardware problems it might be then. I'm having a series of unexplained crashes.

#28 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:42

Huh. Hardware problems it might be then. I'm having a series of unexplained crashes.

yeah, I'd go get the machine exchanged, if you replace it with the same model you can just swap the hard drives in store and not have to worry about reinstalling everything

#29 OP migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:36

I took the opportunity to switch to an entirely different model with DVI. That way I can hook up my PlayBook via HDMI as well without having to swap anything else out.