168 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:21

Not the greatest point ever made....

1) Everyone knows how the licensing agreements work. The UsDoD did NOT ENDORSE Windows 8, they purchased the ability to use Windows 8, Office <insert newest release here> and several other Microsoft products. Neowin News.

You posted about said new item, My father used to say "good enough for government work", when he did something halfassed, and also said "close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and government work". Having a mother and a sister work for the government, and seeing their policies and spending, I have to agree with my father.

2) USDoD spent $640 for a toilet seat, and couldn't account for more than a trillion dollars in financial transactions, not to mention dozens of tanks, missiles and planes. Source.

EDIT: Got beat to the $640 punchline by COKid... :(

EDIT 2 : Dammit, I miss that game, I was never as good as my younger brother, but I'd love to hear that beeping again.

Still, purchasing 70 some MILLION dollars worth of licenses? You bet they'll be deploying it. My point still stands.

#17 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:28

This explains it all.. when a company is ran by an idiot like this

http://www.youtube.com/v/KMU0tzLwhbE

There's nothing else to be said and certainly doesn't come as a surprise they are a joke

Knee jerk reactions and hyperbole. I should expect nothing less coming from you.

Some people won't like MS no matter what they do, this is a fact. If Windows Phone 8 was introduced by other companies out there (you figure out those other companies), it would be a huge improvement and innovative. People would be lining up at the stores to buy one. It's all about who makes it and Microsoft isn't cool in the phone world and they never will be no matter what they make and that isn't their fault.

I would make Windows Phone 8 free for a while at least so phone makers would adopt it. However, that still won't change the fact that people will still be against them.

I am still buying a Surface Pro. I don't have to have people like me and think I am cool. I have to get real work done and I can't do that on a simple touch tablet.

#18 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,441 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:12

Other articles on Forbes.com, btw.

Why Windows 8 Is a Great Operating System

Fear Not Windows 8, But Embrace It

Just sayin'.

ROFL: Love this piece "Mac OS is undoubtably powerful, but still lacking in user-friendliness" - Yeah, sure.

The fact that anyone would give Forbes the time of day tells me just how doomed we are as a species.

#19 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,963 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22

Saw Forbes, didn't read. Saw it was posted by Rickkens, especially didn't read.

#20 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

• 2,645 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42

Forbes...Right...thanks but I'd rather do something else than waste my time on those idiots.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,711 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:56

Replace the word "Microsoft" with "Google" and most of Neowin's members would be on it like stank on poop. Last time I checked Neowin was a tech forum not a flagellate Microsoft forum so I see nothing wrong with these articles. They're no worse than the anti google BS that makes regular visits to Neowin.

oh give me a break, Neowin is a google circle jerk club most of the time

The DoD doesn't exactly have a history of spending money wisely. $640 toilet seats, anyone?

what makes you guys believe that those 640 dollars toilet seats where actually toilet seats and not money being funneled into black accounts..

#22 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:01

Still, purchasing 70 some MILLION dollars worth of licenses? You bet they'll be deploying it. My point still stands.

They got modified versions of windows 8 and probably of other software too, articles make note to using windows 8 'out in the field' so it'd be tablets.
I've never seen ANY companies get modified versions of microsoft software, the largest companies on MS SLA get access to windows thinpc/FLPCs which in theory is a modified version of windows, and they pay a lot of money for the priviledge.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,711 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:08

The only thing that's modified for the DOD, is the same thing that gets modified for all government/defense contracts they sell. the security system.

and I believe other major contractors can also get such mods, probably not the same as those are classified, but buying software licenses with slight mods isn't something companies release news alerts about.

#24 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,909 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:52

Whatever happened to Microsoft Sideshow, anyway?

#25 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

• 5,402 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 13:07

The DoD doesn't exactly have a history of spending money wisely. $640 toilet seats, anyone?

Bad example. That was an obsolete part that had to be retooled, and tooling is insanely expensive. We've had plastic parts at work that cost pennies to make individually, but the tooling runs in tens of thousands of dollars.

#26 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,931 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 13:31

ROFL: Love this piece "Mac OS is undoubtably powerful, but still lacking in user-friendliness" - Yeah, sure.

The fact that anyone would give Forbes the time of day tells me just how doomed we are as a species.

I would agree with Forbes there. If you aren't familiar with Mac OS, it takes a while to get used to and to find some of the things you might need (as evidenced anecdotally by me on the handful of occasions I'm asked by a family member to troubleshoot their mac). That's poor usability.

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,828 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 14:32

I would agree with Forbes there. If you aren't familiar with Mac OS, it takes a while to get used to and to find some of the things you might need (as evidenced anecdotally by me on the handful of occasions I'm asked by a family member to troubleshoot their mac). That's poor usability.

Mac OSX is notoriously bad to navigate.

#28 Navan

Navan

Neowinian

• 688 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 14:39

Off-Topic: The amount of people spelling Lumia as Lumina is astonishing.

#29 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,787 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 16:15

I'd also bet they had a similar agreement with Microsoft for Vista, XP and every other version of Windows. This says nothing about the useability or success of Windows 8. I'm pretty sure there are TABLETS in use by the DoD, are you 100% positive that they got Windows 8 to replace Windows 7 on their desktops?

My point still stands as well, the DoD did not ENDORSE Windows 8, they simply extended/continued their agreement with Microsoft to use Windows and Office.

#30 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,828 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 16:23

I'd also bet they had a similar agreement with Microsoft for Vista, XP and every other version of Windows. This says nothing about the useability or success of Windows 8. I'm pretty sure there are TABLETS in use by the DoD, are you 100% positive that they got Windows 8 to replace Windows 7 on their desktops?

My point still stands as well, the DoD did not ENDORSE Windows 8, they simply extended/continued their agreement with Microsoft to use Windows and Office.

Sounds to me like they'll be deploying 8 on desktops as well as mobile devices. 70 million is a lot for just tablets.